Dog Food Chat banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
10,128 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, its been three whole days. The girls havent had anything to eat because they still are turning their noses up at fresh, whole mackarel. How long until we try doing something to it to make it more appetizing? I have a hard time believing that they will truely starve themselves...but hey?

Its obvious to us now that we probably wont order this type of fish again from our distributor...but I don't want the 30# or so that we bought to go to waste (well it wont cuz the puppy devours a whole fish in under 3 minutes...wish she would teach the adults how its done LOL).

·
Registered
10,128 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
They have all been on raw for quite some time now. Always had some kind of fish in their diet, usually twice a week. This is the first time that we have gotten fresh whole mackarel (usually get fresh pollack or trout, which they like, not to mention the canned fish as well).

They eat chicken backs or quaters and turkey necks most often. Once a week we do a meal of beef hearts. Sometimes we get a huge brisket once a month or so and they get the entire thing. Once a week an organ meal too. We stay away from pork because Shiloh (wolf hybrid) is allergic to it, she gets super itchy when she eats it.

They have all done really well with this feeding schedule. They all handle it just fine. They just don't like the whole mackarel. Bailey (adult dane) is the only one that has shown mild interest in the fish, that is after 4 days of nothing to eat LOL...

·
Registered
4,419 Posts
They have all been on raw for quite some time now. Always had some kind of fish in their diet, usually twice a week. This is the first time that we have gotten fresh whole mackarel (usually get fresh pollack or trout, which they like, not to mention the canned fish as well).
In that case, I certainly wouldn't worry about them not eating one species of fish. As long as you can get some fish into them occasionally, It's not a big deal.

We stay away from pork because Shiloh (wolf hybrid) is allergic to it, she gets super itchy when she eats it.
Have you tried giving her tiny amounts of pork mixed in another meal? I would try that and hopefully build her tolerance to pork. If you have already tried that, then I wouldn't worry about pork either.

Just about the only time I would try the tough love approach is when you are switching a dog to raw and he doesn't want to have anything to do with it. Usually its because they don't know what it is or what its for so they have to be encouraged to eat. Once they start, they are usually ok.

It looks like your dogs are getting a good variety of protein sources and are doing well. Remember that NOTHING is required in this diet except meat, bones, and organs. Exactlly which ones is entirely optional. The big reason fish is good is for the Omega 3 fatty acids in their bodies. Cold water fish have the most O3s. Things like salmon, mackerel, and sardines. Many people never feed fish and I would guess that a lot of wild wolves never eat fish either.

·
Registered
10,128 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I am not too worried about them not eating the mackarel, its just that is their fish source for the month since that is all we got and if they wont eat it they will most likely not get much fish this month. Not a tragedy...just want them to not be picky eaters LOL. I like having fish in their diet not only for the O3's but it gives them that much more variety. Not sure if wolves in the wild eat fish, might explain why Shiloh has never really been a fan of any kind of fish.

As far as Shiloh and pork, we just stay away from it in general. They are getting enough variety that its not that big of a deal, except pork is somewhat cheap comparatively. I guess we could still get it and only feed it to the others, but I am a bit concerned with feeding pork as far as parasites go (chances are slim to none but I don't know if I want to take a chance with it!)

·
Registered
4,419 Posts
I understand the picky eater thing. One of my dogs doesn't like turkey and after him missing 3 or 4 turkey meals instead of eating them I stopped feeding turkey. He never missed more than a meal at a time. The next meal he would always eat it but I decided since he didn't like it and was willing to occasionally miss a meal, I just wouldn't feed it anymore.

I like to feed pork because it's easy. Half a Boston Butt is a meal for one dog around here. I get them cut in half at the grocery and just hand each dog his half. It's the cheapest meat I can get other than chicken and turkey. I have absolutely NO concerns about any health problems with pork.

Like you, I am a Dane person and would love to have a wolf/dog someday but I'm afraid it won't ever happen.

·
Registered
10,128 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Like you, I am a Dane person and would love to have a wolf/dog someday but I'm afraid it won't ever happen.
Why do you think it wont ever happen? They are great companions, but I will warn you to get one young, puppy preferably. Training is key with these guys, which a total challenge. I keep going back and forth about someday getting another one because of their issues.

The only thing that worries me about pork is parasites. Its very rare for pork to be infected, but it still is perpetuated through the population (about 1 in 1000 pigs is a carrier in the US). Since some of these parasites are able to infect dogs and humans (can be lethal), I would just rather stay away from it. I studied parasitology a few years ago and am still close with my professor. She hates that I like sushi LOL

·
Registered
4,419 Posts
Why do you think it wont ever happen? They are great companions, but I will warn you to get one young, puppy preferably. Training is key with these guys, which a total challenge. I keep going back and forth about someday getting another one because of their issues.
One big reason I don't think I will is that it's illegal to own a wolf/dog in Georgia. Another is that I have no clue where to get one. :smile:

The only thing that worries me about pork is parasites.
If you are worried about parasites, you can freeze pork for a couple of weeks and it will kill parasites. Personally I don't worry about them. The only one that is dangerous is trich and meat sold for human consumption just don't have it in the US, Canada, Australia and most western European countries.

If you buy it in a grocery store in the US, your dogs are safe.

·
Registered
10,128 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Strange that they are illegal (another reason why CO is a great state LOL)? Pit Bulls are illegal in Denver tho too. Hmmm...well I do know that there are breeders who sell wolf hybrid puppies, but I am pretty sure that they can be pricey.

·
Registered
3,550 Posts
Colorado is amazing, but that pit bull ban is just plain ridiculous! We have wolf hybrids on craigslist here in NV all the time. We're a different breed of folk out here I suppose. And it probably doesn't help that my college's mascot is the wolf pack :smile:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts