Dog Food Chat banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I mix in Merrick canned food with Orijen dry kibble and I was wondering how long is canned food good for once you open it? I use it once every other day as a topper so it usually takes my dog about 2 weeks to finish a can of Merrick canned food. I cover the unused portion with a lid and keep it in the refrigerator. Just need your opinion everyone :smile: Thanks

·
Registered
3,550 Posts
I've heard anywhere between 3 days to a week. I think 2 weeks might be stretching it a little. But then again, dogs have tough stomachs so it might not really matter that much.

·
Registered
5,009 Posts
Most state on the label to cover and refrigerate for only two or three days. I've gone a few days past that but not by much. If your dog tolerates it fine I wouldn't worry. My cans just don't last that long in my house between the three boys!

·
Registered
2,965 Posts
I mix in Merrick canned food with Orijen dry kibble and I was wondering how long is canned food good for once you open it? I use it once every other day as a topper so it usually takes my dog about 2 weeks to finish a can of Merrick canned food. I cover the unused portion with a lid and keep it in the refrigerator. Just need your opinion everyone :smile: Thanks
If I was going to make it last that long, I would probably freeze the whole can into little separate baggies or ice cube trays or something like that and then take one out each night before I would use it the next morning to defrost. Then the rest of it would be sure to stay fresh until I needed it. The stuff costs too much to risk it going bad.
My little dog's can will last her for about 4 days with the plastic lid on but that is as long as I usually push it and then I give the last of her can to Rocky.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts