Dog Food Chat banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am still very new to this. Only about 2 months in!
So I would like to know how you do your food prep, if any...
Here is what I do, I am in desprate need of help. It seems to take forever...

-I shop for my two dogs (Lab and Maltese) 2 times a month. Keep in mind I store their meat in our freezer! (keep in mind, we live in Japan w/ NONO room for a extra fridge/freezer!!!)

-Once I buy, I come home and put everything in groups on the counter.

-I get out sandwich size bags for the Maltese and Quart size for the Lab

-For the lab, I get whole pieces and toss into the bags and seal them. Sometimes I will mix meat w/ fish, fish w/ pork, pork w/ organs, organs w/ shellfish, shellfish w/ chicken, chicken w/ turkey, throw a fresh egg in every so on and so on w/ a good mix of all!

-The maltese on the other hand is 2POUNDS! She seems VERY intimidated w/ large pieces of meat, so I cut chunks, according to how she likes them, and add them to her bags. PLUS, she is long growing facial hair, that I HATE her rubbing and getting all yucky in raw meat! So bite size chunks are easier/cleaner.

-One baggie holds ONE meal per-dog.
so at the end of this process, I have a TON of bagged up , ready to thaw meals for the dogs.

I really think because of Ponyos issues it takes me forever..so im curious to know how you all deal w/ prep'ing your dogs meat!!!!!! And PLEASE, any help would be great!!!

·
Registered
4,419 Posts
I do basically the same as you except since both my dogs are the same size, I mix 2 meals/bag(1 meal for each dog). I don't mix up meals in a bag. In other words, one group of bags will be nothing but chicken quarters. Another group will be chicken backs. Another group will be beef heart, etc. There is no need of giving more than one meat source in a meal. You can if you wish but I don't think anything useful is accomplished and it seems to be more trouble.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I have 2 dogs. They get fed twice a day. Each bag contains the meal for both of them. So 14 bags/week. Sam gets about twice the amount of Snoopy, but it is guess work when I'm feeding them.
The morning meal is boneless. If it is beef it contains a mixture of muscle meat, heart, liver, lung, tripe and other organs.
The evening meal is bone heavy chicken backs,wings and necks.
I do shop once a week because of limited freezer space.

·
Registered
10,128 Posts
We do 12 quart containers that hold two days of food for our four girls ~10-15 pounds of meat. Only one protein source per container. We pull one out and put it on top of the freezer to thaw overnight. We then feed one days worth from there and put the rest in the fridge for the following day. We only feed once daily. We have our rotation so each day we do a different protein source. We do an entire meal of organs once every two weeks.

I would have to say that feeding small or toy breeds raw is much harder, I had two mini dachshunds for a week or two and I spent more time prepping their meals than the four large/giant breed dogs we own! But it sounds to me like you have a pretty good system down, the only thing you could do differently is just use bigger bags that hold more than just a meals worth of food....

·
Registered
107 Posts
I use bags and containers. It is much easier and safer for the fridge and other foods for using the containers that seal well. I have a few days of food in each, 1 protein per container. I do chicken hearts and liver once a week - mixed in with a protein, it stays down better.

I have 2 medium sized dogs and 2 small ones. For me I find it easier to have their meat together. My dogs are all relatively the same size - poodles and poms. So I know the poodles get the half lb slabs and the poms get the little pieces.

I usually have 2 proteins going in the fridge - chicken and pork and maybe Chicken livers. They eat 2 proteins a day.

·
Registered
10,780 Posts
i used to bag each meal for my dogs...i have two of them...then we started introducing variety...

since i feed fish frozen, i just take that out right before they eat.

bubba is being taught how to eat more slowly, so his food is partially frozen.

so instead of bagging meals, i take out a roast and hack a chunk off per dog

i still weigh their food, but i have a feeling that will soon end, too.

i always keep chicken backs in the house freezer for bone days...they don't eat bone every day anymore....when i see stools softening, they get a bone day LOL..it is usually every few days.

i keep frozen organs in the freezer, cut into pieces because they eat organs frozen...don't much care for defrosted and i don't want to force them.

basically, they get three proteins per week....depending on how we received it or prepared it when we got it...

so, like you..they could be eating fish and pork for a meal...or a chicken breast for breakfast with pork roast for dinner....

it's a rotational thing...but we try to concentrate heavily on red meats....

we stopped the bags because what we feed them is pretty much determined by how they feel to me and their stools...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts