Dog Food Chat banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sometimes I just need some time to relax and my JRT's are not having it. We freeze peanut butter in Kongs and let them go at that for a couple of hours. I know some of you guys/gals have some pretty big dogs that would tear through a Kong.

How do you keep them busy?

·
Registered
3,550 Posts
Raw bones. Keeps my power-chewers occupied for about an hour and then they get their calcium for the day! And their teeth cleaned!

·
Registered
417 Posts
My Pits will not take to the kong. If I put a treat in them, they'll chew at the treat until it comes out, then leave the kong there feeling lonely. Tennis balls work the best with my two. And surprisingly they don't chew them up into little pieces. They just tear the green off them and bat them around like soccer balls. That entertains them for hours upon hours.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Options

There are a couple of options you can choose. If your JRT is one to sniff out trails you may try and hide food all over the house. Basically lock him in a room and hide around 6-10 bits of food (I use hot dogs) in areas where your dog can access it. Then open the door and use a "search" or "find it" command and let him do the hunting! It may take a while but eventually they may catch on. Be sure though to remember where you put all the food!

If your dog does not like to use his nose then you should try marrow bones or some other raw bone (which was suggested above). These are wonderful for their teeth and are so interesting that many dogs will ignore you for a hour or so! Give it a try and see what works best for your dog.

·
Registered
60 Posts
when i get up in the morning i put a bit of kibble in a small kong then layer canned food on top of that and then frozen yogurt (it's a dog brand..youghund or something like that) on top. i throw that in the freezer in a plastic baggie and then take oz on his walk. once we're back and i've gotten ready for work i take it out of the freezer and toss it to him as i walk out the door.

oz also has a kong ball that i leave two small pieces of venison jerky in. it bats the thing around running until he gets the pieces out.

he also has a kong treat bone that you can stuff treats into the ends. it takes him all day (sometimes two to get those out).

(yeah we're big kong fans over here, lol)

·
Registered
102 Posts
We really like the kongs too. But we also have "freezer bones"; they are made of a material similar to denim and you run it under water, place it in a ziplock and freeze it. My pups go crazy for it!They also have lots of squeeky toys, and ropes and tennis balls.
When I leave, I usually turn on animal planet. I know some people think dogs can't see tv images, but I swear they can! My guys watch and growl and bark at the animals on tv. They love it! They don't seem to like horses though... Horses get mean barks. lol

·
Registered
4,419 Posts
I entertain my dogs by just letting them sleep. :smile:

Dogs definately can see TV. I remember when my dearly departed Skylar was a puppy, the first time she saw a dog on tv, she barked then ran to the bathroom (this is the room on the other side of the wall behind the tv) lookiing for the other dog. :smile:

·
Registered
257 Posts
Sometimes I just need some time to relax and my JRT's are not having it. We freeze peanut butter in Kongs and let them go at that for a couple of hours. I know some of you guys/gals have some pretty big dogs that would tear through a Kong.

How do you keep them busy?
Ha, this is why I will never ever have a JRT, or any of those dogs that doesn't know the meaning of relax.

I posted a photo here once of a super duper heavy duty Kong that was ripped apart in less than one day. The dog that did that has never been able to chew through a big fat beef marrow/femur bone. I have bones that the dogs have chewed on forever and still keep them busy when bored.

Other than that, I make sure all the dogs I have are as lazy as I am.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Dogs definately can see TV. I remember when my dearly departed Skylar was a puppy, the first time she saw a dog on tv, she barked then ran to the bathroom (this is the room on the other side of the wall behind the tv) lookiing for the other dog. :smile:
My youngest, Chloe, just fell in love with the mirror. We have one of those door mirrors, it's just leaned against the wall, but she charges it and barks. she looks behind it and starts whining because she can't find the "other" puppy. Lol, then she looks back at her reflection and repeats the whole thing. It is too funny!:biggrin:

·
Registered
333 Posts
One of my dogs from when I was younger was in love with Beethoven (the st b. from the movie). Whenever I watched that movie, she'd sit there hahaa.

My current pup frantically looks around the room if a tv dog barks haha. Then she sighs and plops down out of frustration.

·
Registered
333 Posts
my sibe pup also has her own "security blanket" toy haha. Its a stuffed animal cat that she took from my room when she was about 2 months old. She has torn through over 15 stuffed animals since then...but this cat, she carries around with her haha. she always has it to sleep and if we go somewhere, she brings it along. its the cutest thing...everytime i see her do it i just cant help but go and hug her.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Aww, that's so sweet! Cooper, our lil guy, has a toy like that too. It's one of those Serta Counting Sheep, lol. I won it in a drawing and since I brought it home, he drags it everywhere, he even cuddles with it!! But for the most part, I think they are each others security blankets. They love to cuddle each other, and I swear the love to cuddle up and take naps with me. I just love these babies!!

·
Registered
2,965 Posts
My pup will sit there and stare at me so sadly and eventually try to climb in my lap and hug me (he's 50 pounds already) if I try to watch tv at night instead of watching him. I try to take him for an hour walk after breakfast and then again after supper each day. That helps a lot with his activity levels. Then to occupy him at night I give him one of those balls with big holes in it and stuff a few pieces of Baa Baa (dried lamb lung) or other big treats in it and he pushes it all around the house trying to get the treats out of it. Little crumbs fall out and he spends a lot of time vacumming up the crumbs after he gets the whole pieces out. He totally ignores his Kong toy but he likes the soft vinyl ball that I got at Target. It can hold a bunch of treats and rolls really easy so he can go all over the house with it. If he's being really bouncy, we can go out in the yard during commercials and play "bucket". Get a 3 foot long piece of rope from Home Depot (like the stuff they sell at Petsmart but it's a lot cheaper at Home Depot), tie one end to a plastic quart or gallon bucket that plants come in at Home Depot, tie a knot in the other end, and let him run around the yard like an idiot with the knot in his mouth and the bucket chasing him . My dogs think that is the best toy they've ever had and the best game in the world. Guaranteed to tire them out after awhile. I've had the bucket win on occasion and beat my puppy up if he shakes it hard enough!

·
Registered
333 Posts
now THAT would be funny. granted, your poor pups will probably be traumatized, but nevertheless, funny hahaha.

·
Registered
2,965 Posts
For some reason he has to grab the rope knot that is inside the bucket end and half the time he runs around with the bucket on his head until it finally slips down to the other end of the rope! My husband and i think we ought to market the toy, it entertains him a lot better then the $10 rope I got him at Petsmart that he completely ignores in the house! He really is a fairly intelligent dog until you see him running around the back yard with a bucket on his head and then a bucket chasing him. You gotta love puppies!

1 - 20 of 28 Posts