Dog Food Chat banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,309 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm not quite ready to feed organs yet, but as I was cruising down the supermarket aisle I saw that they sell them in small 2 lb. containers for $1.50. Same with the hearts and gizzards. Is this how you guys buy them? I know there is also liver inside the whole chicken.

·
Registered
5,009 Posts
yup, that's exactly how I buy them, in a little plastic container they sell at wal mart.
Then I just toss some in each of grissom's one day baggies. (i don't feed meals of organs, i feed a little bit every day) and that's all there is to it.I also buy beef kidney.

·
Registered
1,885 Posts
I think I get the same thing. A small, plastic container full of livers. I think it's Foster Farms. In the part of the country I live in, chicken livers don't seem to be a big seller. There's ALWAYS a bunch in the "old meat" section that have been marked way down. And I'm always happy to take it off their hands. :biggrin:

Beef liver is a different story, though. It's a bit harder to find, but when I do, it's in a vacuum sealed package. Usually, it's one liver that has been sliced into 4 or 5 sheets.

Richelle

·
Registered
3,550 Posts
Yeah the plastic tubs are usually how I find them but I also like to get the beef liver from walmart as well when i don't have any from my mom's butcher friend. WinCo usually has beef kidney too, so that's always nice.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Yep, they ALWAYS get marked down at my grocery store. I think I pay $.94 for 2lbs or something like that. Also grocery stores and walmart sells beef liver slices for like $1.99/lb...which is pricey, but I only feed it once a week so I usually get that instead of a 30# case.

·
Registered
2,309 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
I've also looked for kidney, but haven't found any. Maybe I'm not looking hard enough but whatever. What section should I be looking in? Also in small plastic containers?

·
Registered
1,885 Posts
I haven't seen kidney in any place other than ethnic stores. But THERE, it's organized by what kind of animal it comes from.

I have noticed in many CHAIN STORES that they have, like, a weird meat section. They have stuff like tongue, tripe (bleached), organs, feet, etc.

So I guess it depends on the store....

I haven't ever found any kind of organ stuff in the frozen section, though. If that helps at all. :wink:

Richelle

·
Registered
5,009 Posts
I've also looked for kidney, but haven't found any. Maybe I'm not looking hard enough but whatever. What section should I be looking in? Also in small plastic containers?
I buy it at wal mart, and they always have it when I go.
it's not in a tub, it's in a plastic sealed bag thing. it has a black and yellow label. It's by the ground beef, and it's usually right next to ox tail, beef tongue, and sometimes they even have beef heart. It's packaged with two kidneys per package.

ETA: looks like this http://www.flickr.com/photos/alanalexander/2853579127/

·
Registered
2,309 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yeah, I've been to ethnic markets and they do sell some weird stuff there! Probably kidney too. I have to double check...

1 - 12 of 12 Posts