Dog Food Chat banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2,309 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
when you tell them that you feed your dogs a PMR diet? I've come across several people on walks, and they ask if they could pet Aspen and then ask what I feed him. Meat, bones and organs is my answer. A lot of them have been shocked and just walk away, and a lot ask what that is and want to know more! :biggrin: I've gotten into some lengthy conversations with some people about the diet.

·
Registered
2,004 Posts
when you tell them that you feed your dogs a PMR diet? I've come across several people on walks, and they ask if they could pet Aspen and then ask what I feed him. Meat, bones and organs is my answer. A lot of them have been shocked and just walk away, and a lot ask what that is and want to know more! :biggrin: I've gotten into some lengthy conversations with some people about the diet.
MOST people we talk to are like "Wow, really?" or "I've been wanting to find out more about that".

I can't remember the last person we talked to that was actually put off by it.

·
Registered
10,128 Posts
Some people are put off by it, but they are the ones that just can't handle feeding it in the first place. Raw feeding is not for everyone.

Most people that we have come across are interested in learning more about it at least, but not that many actually make the switch unfortunately. They have to want to change their ways coming into it.

·
Registered
3,550 Posts
Yeah most people just try to change the subject quickly or get away from me as fast as they can when I tell them what I feed my dogs. Some are interested and want to know more but have already convinced themselves that they could never accomplish such a complicated feat :rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,885 Posts
Most people I talk to understand that feeding raw is great. However...

Most everyone wouldn't do it themselves. :frown: The main reason is because they don't see any negative effects from feeding kibble (I mean, mostly black teeth on a 5 year old dog is perfectly normal, right? :wink:).

Another reason they won't make the switch is because they have it set in their minds that it is a TON more work. This just isn't so!! Yes, there is a minimal amount of extra work involved. But when people tell me this is their only reason for not feeding raw, I always think, "if you can't spend an extra few minutes a month on your dog(s), maybe you should reconsider having a dog(s)..." Of couse I never say this outloud 'cuz I'd probably get b-slapped.

Of course I've had a few positive responses, too! One of my co-workers was feeding his 11 year old Pom raw patties with kibble. This was because (are you ready for this?) his vet suggested that it might help with the Pom's digestive issues! Well, it didn't, so he quit the patties. I told him that the likely reason for the continued issues was because raw meat and kibble digest at digfferent rates. My co-worker was shocked that his vet didn't know that (I wasn't) and decided to give raw another go!

Richelle

·
Registered
2,309 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Of course I've had a few positive responses, too! One of my co-workers was feeding his 11 year old Pom raw patties with kibble. This was because (are you ready for this?) his vet suggested that it might help with the Pom's digestive issues! Well, it didn't, so he quit the patties. I told him that the likely reason for the continued issues was because raw meat and kibble digest at digfferent rates. My co-worker was shocked that his vet didn't know that (I wasn't) and decided to give raw another go!

Richelle
Do you know how the pom's doing now?

·
Registered
1,885 Posts
Do you know how the pom's doing now?
Not sure. My co-worker usually works outside of the office, so I rarely see him. But I'll definitely check the next time he stops by! I gotta know!

Richelle

·
Registered
2,309 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Not sure. My co-worker usually works outside of the office, so I rarely see him. But I'll definitely check the next time he stops by! I gotta know!

Richelle
Definitely find out! I'm anxious to see if the full switch to raw helped his pom...

·
Registered
100 Posts
I dont personaly don't feed completly Raw just yet. But when i brought it up at work one day when everyone was talking about their dogs they couldnt believe it. One guy said, "the only people who would do that are people training killer dogs." Most of them didnt know anything about a raw diet, or any dog nutrition. One guy feeds Purina One, another feeds Atta boy. They laughed at the fact that i pay 46 dollars for 30-33 pounds of kibble. They were so proud that they could find atta boy in a 50lb sack at costco for 20 bucks.

Jeremy

·
Registered
71 Posts
A lot of people I talk to first put it through their human filter. Their first reaction is that it's bad for the dog because of bacteria. They look agape when I tell them chicken bones are great for dogs, and some pork bones are OK too. Then I have to explain the cooked vs. raw difference. They bit of misinformation about bones is DEEPLY embedded.

One of my husband's friends told him to warn me that "dogs in the wild only live 5-6 years, so get ready for that." He's a hunter for gawd sakes, and feeds Puppy Chow. :rolleyes:

My neighbor's dog looks like it's gone through a belt sander, he's often so red with skin allergies. They are paying $70+/bag for Rx kibble. I tell him raw might help the skin issue at a lot and --woot--he tunes me out. He's not anti, he just doesn't want to act on it, I guess.

I also have a few friends who would absolutely DIE if their dog put a raw chicken leg on their fancy Italian marble kitchen floor. Hopeless.

I actually have gotten good at sizing people up. If I think there's hope for discourse, I tell them. If I vibe out they are closed to it, I just say Cali's on a
"special diet." :smile:

·
Registered
184 Posts
I've mostly been told "Oh, really!? That's not very good for them, actually. My vet says to only feed Science Diet or Dog Chow."
Ugh. What is wrong with people? :confused:

When I tell people working in the pet store what I feed, the usually try to convince me to buy some crappy brand of Purina, thinking that I have a "picky picky dog" and I am only feeding raw because he won't eat kibble.

I have had a couple people say good things about the raw diet, and one lady I met also feeds raw to her black GSD - that dog is beautiful, sleek, shiny coat.. best looking GSD I have EVER seen!

·
Registered
5,009 Posts
Usually people have one of two reactions.

They either tell me that it's dangerous and warn me about ecoli and salmonella and feeding bones and how they can die.... or they're interested and want to learn more.

I think more people would be open to it if they knew how EASY it is. I don't know why people have it in their heads that it is some kind of time consuming, lifestyle-altering task. Rather than scooping and dumping kibble, you open the fridge, and dump a plastic baggie. I don't get it.

Jon and I make a date night out of putting the meat we buy into day baggies. lol. so romantic:rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,885 Posts
Jon and I make a date night out of putting the meat we buy into day baggies. lol. so romantic:rolleyes:
He he! Andrew & I do that too! When we get our case of chicken backs, we sit on the floor in the kitchen prying apart the frozen brick and putting it in our tupperware. :biggrin:

Richelle

·
Registered
4 Posts
I eat raw fruits and vegetables and my puppy eats raw meat/bones/organs/fish/etc. 100% organic, i.e., no chemical ferts or pesticides. 99% of people have no clue why that's the optimal diet for either of us.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Its funny.....one of the reasons that people ask me what my dogs eat, is because RIGHT BEFORE they ask - they are commenting on the condition of my dogs and how shiny they are...so when I tell them about their Raw diet - their first response is almost always "I thought feeding dogs bones was BAD for them" - the 2nd response is usually that it must be SO much work and VERY expensive.....but the time I am done explaining it - they are usually quite impressed - mainly because it usually goes BACK to what great condition they are in and how shiny their coats are :smile:

Reactions: jdatwood

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
I usually get 'The Lecture' about bacteria, dangerous bones, etc.

I get all kinds of lectures, though...about how Flip isn't a poodle because he doesn't have a Continental Clip, he is too small, etc. :rolleyes:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts