Dog Food Chat banner

1 - 20 of 83 Posts
Z

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For those of you who feed raw or even premium diets, what other natural health practices do you embrace?
~do you vaccinate?
~use flea meds?
~use heartworm meds?
~use drugs such as antibiotics, or steroids?
~use any type of traditional medicines: acupuncture, chiropractic, homeopathic, herbal, etc?

·
Registered
105 Posts
For those of you who feed raw or even premium diets, what other natural health practices do you embrace?
~do you vaccinate?
~use flea meds?
~use heartworm meds?
~use any type of traditional medicines: acupuncture, chiropractic, homeopathic, herbal, etc?
I am down to just the rabies vaccine. Bella has seizures and I've decided at this point to just go with what is required by law. For the same reason, I don't use flea meds (haven't seen a flea on her yet). I do use year-round heartworm meds.

I do still feed Bella kibble, along with a dehydrated raw food. Both are grain free.

·
Registered
4,419 Posts
Only the basic minimum vaccinations. That means puppy shots only. My Abby (8yo Great Dane) has had her last rabies shot. She hasn't had the other vacs in 6 years. I'm still undecided about Thor(3yo Dane) as far as rabies shot. I won't have to decide that for another year. I'm not concerned about his immunity. I'm conserned about what would happen if he ever bit someone and wasn't current on rabies vacs.

I use flea meds when I see a flea.

I use heartworm meds during mosquito season. I have it worked out to were my dog get about 4 doses/year.

I will use antibiotics or steriods if they are ever called for.

I use absolutely none of the out of the mainstream medicines. To me they are in the same category as witch doctors and voodoo priests.

·
Registered
105 Posts
has had her last rabies shot. She hasn't had the other vacs in 6 years. I'm still undecided about Thor(3yo Dane) as far as rabies shot. I won't have to decide that for another year. I'm not concerned about his immunity. I'm conserned about what would happen if he ever bit someone and wasn't current on rabies vacs

How do you get away with not vaccinating for rabies?

·
Registered
3,550 Posts
~do you vaccinate?
~use flea meds?
~use heartworm meds?
I try to only vaccinate for rabies, I had to get my older dog vaccinated when I got my new rescue or they wouldn't let me have him. Plus, my rescue came from a place where all the other dogs were coming down with kennel cough, so I didn't want to take any chances there.
I don't use flea meds since I live in NV, no fleas and hardly any ticks here!
Heartworm, same goes for mosquitoes, not too many water-dwelling bugs in this desert.
I will use antibiotics and steroids if necessary.
I haven't had a need for any of the other "traditional" medicines and since I was raised by a family of doctors who practice "modern" medicine, I'm with Rawfeddogs on that one, seems like voodoo type stuff to me.

·
Registered
628 Posts
~do you vaccinate?
~use flea meds?
~use heartworm meds?

I will vaccinate every 3 years for everything on my puppy after his 1 year puppy booster, my girl I cannot vaccinate at all due to her medical condition.

I use Frontline Plus as we have fleas here and I am highly allergic (like let's put me in the hospital allergic) to fleas so it's a must for any dog that walks through my front door, fosters and clients included.

I use heartworm meds as we do live in a mosquito populated area (my puppy was outside for 10 minutes the other night and came in with 22 mosquito bites, YIKES!)

I will use antibiotics if necessary but I do not use them for everything and give things a chance to go away on their own first, but I do also then give a probiotic while on them. Never had a reason to use steroids. I typically combine natural with "western" medicine as I believe there is a place for both it doesn't have to just be one or the other.

I use some herbal and homeopathic especially on my girl who has liver issues due to her medication and her degenerative knee condition.

I am not all one or the other, I believe there is a place for traditional medicine as well as natural medicine, I am not quick to use either, but research what would be best for whatever the problem is at the time. Some things do require prescription meds, such as both of my girl's conditions, some things can be managed with natural medicine such as one of her conditions so it's all dependent on what the problem is.

·
Registered
628 Posts
I am down to just the rabies vaccine. Bella has seizures and I've decided at this point to just go with what is required by law. For the same reason, I don't use flea meds (haven't seen a flea on her yet). I do use year-round heartworm meds.

I do still feed Bella kibble, along with a dehydrated raw food. Both are grain free.
Some people don't know, you can get a letter from your vet stating your dog has a medical condition and that giving the Rabies vaccine could be harmful so that you do not have to give it and you're still okay legality wise. This is what we do for my girl and what I did for my boy when he had seizures and had cancer.

Reactions: bellamicuore

·
Registered
257 Posts
I get the dogs and cats their rabies shots because it's the law.
Other than that I only do puppy shots.

I use Advantage for fleas for one or two months in the summer. Usually we don't have a flea problem because it gets cold here in the winter. Same with heartworm, my vet doesn't push the issue except for people who travel with their pets to the south or places that have more of a heartworm problem.

I haven't had a need for antibiotics except once when one of my dogs was in a fight and got bitten, she had some deep puncture wounds so the vet thought it was better safe than sorry. Never had a need for steroids in a long time. I had an old arthritic dog around 15 years ago that was on steroids for a while, other than that, nobody has needed them.

As far as accupuncture, or chiropractic care, that's not available where I live that I know of.

·
Registered
4,419 Posts
How do you get away with not vaccinating for rabies?
I haven't gotten away with it yet. They are both due rabies shots next May. I am just not going to give one to Abby. I still haven't decided on Thor yet. Like I said, I'm not concerned about immunity. I am sure both dogs are immune and will be for the rest of their lives whether they get another shot or not.

Abby will be 9 years old next May and thats pretty old for a Great Dane so I am just not going to subject her to that.

Z

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Titers

In some states (mine fortunately) you can get a blood test that proves immunity and it's accepted by the state and you can a license and tags.

For kids you can avoid vaccines based on religious grounds, philsophical beliefs or medical issues. We haven't tested that here yet on animals. (It will be fun though)

You can't vaccinate a dog with a medical problem no matter what. It says so right on the vaccine bottle "To be given to healthy pets only".

·
Registered
257 Posts
I haven't gotten away with it yet. They are both due rabies shots next May. I am just not going to give one to Abby. I still haven't decided on Thor yet. Like I said, I'm not concerned about immunity. I am sure both dogs are immune and will be for the rest of their lives whether they get another shot or not.

Abby will be 9 years old next May and thats pretty old for a Great Dane so I am just not going to subject her to that.
Do you have a lot of rabies in the area where you live? Some places are stricter than others about it. If you don't have a large number or rabid animals where you live, then you should be able to not have to revaccinate them.

I wouldn't vaccinate a 9 year old dog, that sounds risky.

Z

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Nope

But you can get the law changed so they do accept them.

L

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Poseidon has gotten his last vaccine, I'm still debating on rabies though. He got his last rabies back in February, so I've got 3 years to decide what to do when it comes time for his next one.

I keep Frontline Plus in the house, but I only used one dose last year, and one dose earlier this month. If we hadn't gone on vacation in a tick heavy area then I probably wouldn't have given it to him. No ticks on him, but I found one on my rear end of all places. My apartment complex sprays chemicals on the grass (yuck), and I've yet to see a flea or mosquito there. He's exposed to enough chemicals without me dousing him in them in addition to that.

We give heartworm meds only in the summer months, even here in VA where it doesn't get nearly as cold as it does at our house in MI.

Poseidon hasn't had an antibiotic in years, he's been a very healthy dog. The only thing he gets is a glucosamin/chondroiten supplement since he does have a touch of arthritis in his front legs. Overall he's very healthy for a 12 year old dog.

Z

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Changing laws

Well, you lobby your local politicians. You cite the medical dangers of vaccines (copy studies done by the AAHA) and the low incidence of rabies. (CDC has those stats)

Rabies vaccines are not given to help dogs they are given to protect people.

Cite the other states that allow titers.

Your local representative of the HSUS might be able to help with this. Go to their website and just look for who covers your area.

Z

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I might be a radical...

Let's see, I feed raw, don't vaccinate, don't use any kinds of toxins on my pets - flea or heartworm.

I use only specific types of anesthesia. I use herbal anti-biotics and steroids.

I use many different vets (all board certified) - homeopathic, acupuncturist, chiropractor. I use a human Traditional Chinese Medicine guy, I don't mean he is human, which he is, but he works on humans. He consults with a few vets he went to school with who work at zoo's when he gives me herbs for my pets.

I use T Touch, massage, reiki, and flower essences as well. And vitamins.

I put my faith more in the medicine that has been around for thousands of years and tend to distrust allopathic medicine which brings us thalidimide, vioxx, phen phen and whatever else the latest recalls have been.

When you have the holistic view I have you also have a philosophy of survival of the fittest. I just try to make sure all my guys are the fittest.

They are all natural, that's for sure!

And this is my choice and what is right for me and mine. It's not the right choice for everyone.

·
Registered
110 Posts
My previous dog April died earlier this year, 7 weeks short of her 15th birthday. The last time she was vaccinated she was about 9 y/o. I had been to a workshop by a holistic vet & it was the 1st time I had heard about over vaccination. A while later 2 people I know lost their elderly dogs due to vac. The 1st was a 9 y/o GSD who suffered a heart attack shortly after vac & died, the next one was a sheltie about 10 y/o who haemoraged a couple of days after vac. He was given blood, but still died.
That made up my mind to not have April vaccinated again. A few months later I ignored 2reminders from the vet to have her annual vac done. The vet rang me up to find out why I hadn't brought her in. I explained the above reasons & an hour later he finally told me that in his opionion vaccines last for 3-4 yrs, but the kennel cough vac only lasts about 6 mths. He said that a lot of people can't remember this, so they recommend annual vac just so they can keep an eye on their clients pets & they wouldn't bring them in if they didn't have annual vaccinations.
My son's dog Sooty will be 8 in Oct. & she will have had her last vaccination. I only had her done late last year because I knew I would be getting a puppy in the coming months & wanted to be sure. Tilba is now 6 mths, had all her puppy shots & I will get her 1st annual vac then decide after that.
My cat will be 2 yrs in Sept. When she had her baby shots she had a mild reaction to the 2nd one. When I took her in for her 1st annual shot she had a bad reaction, had a temp, was very lethargic. The vet kept her in overnight & gave her a shot, can't remember what it was, but was told it would lower the protection from the vac. She is never to have the feline leukemia vac again as they said it was the likely cause.
I worm all the pets, use flea treatments & heartworm.

Z

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I'm sorry to hear about your dog! It takes such a long time to get over it doesn't it? I waited quite a while to get another dog but I do see dogs every day so I think that helped me be less lonely.

I think the vets are wrong about people not coming in if they don't vaccinate.
I encourage people to take their dogs in twice a year just for a bit of a look see, since they can't talk. I am willing to bet that they make more from us holistic folk.

Kennel cough is just a cold and untreated goes away in two weeks. There are the odd cases that do get sick and sometimes the colds turn into serious infections. Mostly the very young and very old. Just like people.

On a discussion group that I am on an author was on about 5 years ago to talk about health and nutrition in dogs and she was big on no vaccines. She was vilified. She was just back on the group and the tone was completely different. We are learning...slowly.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Well, you lobby your local politicians. You cite the medical dangers of vaccines (copy studies done by the AAHA) and the low incidence of rabies. (CDC has those stats)

Rabies vaccines are not given to help dogs they are given to protect people.

Cite the other states that allow titers.

Your local representative of the HSUS might be able to help with this. Go to their website and just look for who covers your area.
The CDC keeps track of "documented" rabid animals, they have no clue about the suspected animals which are running everywhere around here.

Where I live we don't have dogs or cats on the list, it's rabid skunks, bats, and once in a while another rabid animal shows up.

I get rabies shots here because the odds are higher, but when I lived in larger cities with little to no confirmed rabies cases, I didnt think the shots were so important.

I'm not so concerned here about the dogs having their shots. My biggest problem are the cats who are allowed to roam the neighborhood. The police refuse to try to enforce the rabies laws here, the only time they step in is if a person gets bit. Other than that, they never check.

1 - 20 of 83 Posts