Dog Food Chat banner

HOUSTON!!! We Have A Problem!

2K views 19 replies 8 participants last post by  magicre 
#1 ·
This is a day I thought I'd never have to revisit but Casey has been scratching like crazy for the past week and is starting to lose her hair again. :frown: I don't know what is going on but I have been checking her for fleas and she has none as of right now this late into the summer.

Her hair is some what thinning on her hind end and she has a swatch of hair on her right side above her belly that has fallen out and her skin is looking pretty dry. The backs of her legs are also looking thin where her feathers have grown in nicely.

I don't know what to do for her other than to keep going with the RAW and hope it doesn't continue. She has come a long way to have to go through this again. She's been seizure free for over a year and, well... I just don't want to see her go through her worst ever all over again!!! :eek:

I'll keep you guys updated on her but I am at a loss right now worrying. :confused: If you guys and gals have any suggestions it'd be greatly appreciated!

#2 ·
Could you please give us a detailed list of what you are feeding her?

Also, have you:
1) Introduced any new pets (or people) to the house?
2) Changed brands of cleaners or had anything professionally cleaned?
3) Has there been a huge pollen count increase in your area?

Reactions: DaneMama
#6 ·
We moved in May and she was still doing well. I moved her into a home where there have been no pets in the last few years,

I started using Arm & Hammer Carpet stuff to make the house smell better when I run the sweeper just recently <when she started scratching>.

She's been eating chicken quarters mainly in the last couple months because I haven't been able to afford other cuts but I've also given her pork <without bone>, beef kidney, beef liver, hamburger, and venison which I still have in the freezer.

I am hoping it's the A&H carpet fresh stuff because she never really started scratching before I used it. I want it to be a simple fix because she's come a long way to screw everything up now!

Thanks guys! I hope we can figure this out.

#9 ·
I've totally forgotten about the salmon too. I have also stopped using the carpet fresh AND I just picked up about 100lbs of meat today from a woman who's kids forgot to close her deep freezer combined with freezer burnt meats. I felt so bad for her but I'm so happy to get the loot! :biggrin:

#10 ·
is it possible she's getting enhanced chicken? and maybe even too much chicken?

i know times are tough......you might want to take a trip over to walmart and see if you can get into their barrel program....they sell mystery basket kind things...

An organization called Quest Recycling has developed the program. Instead of putting meat that is past the sell-by date into the dumpster, the stores put the meat into barrels we provide them. We get the meat to feed to animals (signed a contract that we wouldn't eat it ourselves.) We have to purchase insurance - about $100 for 1-4 stores at about $100 per month. Each store provides anywhere from 200# to 450# of meat each week. The stores are Wal-Mart and Sam's club.

also, if you want...go to your supermarket near you and ask for 'crab or fish' bait....since it's not meant for human consumption....sometimes the fish department gives away entire boxes of fish waste...free

#14 ·
i'll go look again, but i thought i had seen on my co op....a deal going with walmart.....

not arguing...just a message that came through..and then i saw it also on a rottie forum...but i didn't check the dates...

too bad, really....it sounds like it's a good program.

i know my grocery store will give me all the 'crab bait' i want LOL

nice salmon and halibut...

#15 ·
The walmart location published on the co-op was already an established site, someone had just dropped out of the program and they were looking for a replacement person.

#16 ·
I'm sure there IS a deal with Walmart. Someone is likely already established there. Also, if they're already established they can add new locations.

I applied a year ago and am still waiting for them to open it back up to raw feeders. Unfortunately from what I can find there aren't any established locations in Denver. If there were they could just add another store to account for my needs and the needs of others... :wink:

#18 ·
Just wanted to update real quick and let you all know that I took Casey to the vet a week or so ago and she's suffering with pollen allergies so it's environmental! I forget the one name he said but the other was ragweed. He did give her a cortisone shot and some steroids to take every other day and it's helped emensly! This was her first visit to her new vet and I like him! I was so glad to NOT hear the word "FLEAS" drop out of his mouth! :biggrin:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.