Dog Food Chat banner

1 - 20 of 72 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We are in the process of switching dog foods and would like any feedback on these two brands. I know there are some differences...Honest Kitchen dehydrates their food and Grandma Lucy's freeze dries their food. I talked to the people at Grandma Lucy's and they say that actually helps the food retain most of its nutrition. The part that concerns me about Honest Kitchen is that they get their ingredients from all over the world....including Asia. Grandma Lucy's ingredients all come from the US. If you've had any experiences with these two brands (good or bad) I would be really appreciative if you could share them. Thanks.

·
Registered
165 Posts
We feed The Honest Kitchen. The only ingredient they get from Asia is celery, because seasonally, that's the only place to get it. Our celery comes from Asia during times of the year, too, are we dying? :p Ha ha. JK, but in all seriousness, THK is very honest about where their food sources come from and because of how they are dehydrated/processed, I truly believe they are 100% safe despite my being a food safety freak.

That being said I think either option is a good one. When you are talking a company as small as either of these, you can pretty much trust the food no matter where it's from.

We have 4 dogs and all 4 are doing well on a combination of THK Keen & Embark. I know other members here feed it too. I think both THK & Grandma Lucy's are a better option versus kibble especially after seeing how well my dogs are doing on THK. Good luck and keep us updated!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
We feed The Honest Kitchen. The only ingredient they get from Asia is celery, because seasonally, that's the only place to get it. Our celery comes from Asia during times of the year, too, are we dying? :p Ha ha. JK, but in all seriousness, THK is very honest about where their food sources come from and because of how they are dehydrated/processed, I truly believe they are 100% safe despite my being a food safety freak.

That being said I think either option is a good one. When you are talking a company as small as either of these, you can pretty much trust the food no matter where it's from.

We have 4 dogs and all 4 are doing well on a combination of THK Keen & Embark. I know other members here feed it too. I think both THK & Grandma Lucy's are a better option versus kibble especially after seeing how well my dogs are doing on THK. Good luck and keep us updated!
Do you feed the THK as a stand alone or do you add meat to it? The person I spoke with from Grandma Lucy's said their food is a stand alone. Also, I've read a lot on these two companies the last couple of days, but I'm still not sure I totally understand the benefits of their preparation methods (dehydrated/freeze dried) versus standard kibble. Nutritionally, is it more beneficial than a quality kibble (Acana/Orijen)? If so, why? We've fed our dogs Innova for years, so I'm out of the loop on what all is out there. I read where Innova will be changing their formula January 2011, so I'm starting to look to change because I really don't trust P&G with dog food. I'm debating between THK, Grandma Lucy's, Acana and Orijen. I just want what is best for my dogs and I don't know if I'm putting too much thought into it at this point. From everything I've read on those four foods, it's like splitting hairs. I guess I'm looking for a reason to push me in one direction! Thanks for your response and help!

·
Registered
4,419 Posts
Basically the less processed, the less cooked a food is, the healthier it is. This goes for human food as well as dog food. I don't know whether dehydreaded or freeze dried is more healthy. It probably depends more on the ingredients than the process. The high temp cooking for long periods and the ingredients make kibble much inferior to any of the other dog foods made.

The other thing you need to know about dog food, the more meat the better. The more protein the better. So if one of the products doesn't contain a lot of meat, you will need to add raw meat to it. If it doesn't include enough calcium, you will need to add bones also.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Both are really good foods and ingredient wise pretty comparable, of course there are pros and cons to both.

Grandma Lucy's has 6 formulas, all of which are grain free and freeze dried.
The Honest Kitchen has 6 formulas (one more grain free formula coming out later this year will make it 7 formulas soon), half of which are grain free and half containing grain, and all of them are dehydrated. Both Grandma Lucy's and The Honest Kitchen have 5 complete formulas and 1 pre-mix formula that require the addition of meat. Soon The Honest Kitchen will have 6 complete formulas once their new Zeal formula comes out.

Grandma Lucy's is more expensive (freeze drying as a process alone is more expensive than dehydration) but has more protein sources to choose from including Bison, Venison, Chicken, Lamb, Pork, and add your own meat.

The Honest Kitchen costs less but has fewer protein sources to choose from currently including Chicken, Beef, Turkey, and add your own meat. Later this year their new formula, Zeal, is coming out and is a grain free fish based formula.

I would say that freeze dried is probably ever so slightly better than dehydrated because it involves flash freezing which preserves the food in its state exactly as it is. Dehydration involves using some heat which can alter the food a little. The Honest Kitchen does dehydrate their food at low temperatures though to preserve the nutrients in it as much as possible so when all is said and done, both products are still great and pretty comparable even though they are processed differently.

As far as experience I have not personally fed Grandma Lucy's but I know people who have and they have had nothing but great things to say about it. By the same token those people who have tried both Grandma Lucy's and The Honest Kitchen have shared that they got the same great results with both so eventually ended up either rotating between the two for variety or sticking with The Honest Kitchen simply because it's more affordable and yielded the same results.

I feed The Honest Kitchen to my dogs. I rotate between the complete formulas but I do add raw meat, cooked meat, and canned food to their Honest Kitchen several times a week as well. When we go on vacation or a trip I just feed THK as is since it's so much easier when we're traveling.

I have also tried Sojos dehydrated dog food which is another comparable product. It costs more than The Honest Kitchen but I got the same results with Sojos that I did with Honest Kitchen so I just stick with THK. Sojos also does not have much to choose from anyway.

Regarding the celery from China, if that really is a deal breaker for you then it might be worth noting that 3 of their formulas do NOT contain celery. Those formulas include Thrive, Verve, and Keen. Furthermore, as of August 2010 The Honest Kitchen is said to stop sourcing celery in China and start sourcing celery from North America. So that should not be a concern for future batches. Truthfully a lot of the food and produce that I eat comes from China and a multitude of Asian countries so I really am not one to worry about it.

I definitely like dehydrated/freeze dried products such as Grandma Lucy's and The Honest Kitchen over premium kibbles like Evo and Orijen because they are less processed thereby preserving more nutrients and have fewer ingredients. Kibbles are processed at high temps thereby destroying more of the nutrients.

I used to feed Innova Evo and am so much happier now with my dogs on The Honest Kitchen. I only wish I had switched long before I did. :)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Both are really good foods and ingredient wise pretty comparable, of course there are pros and cons to both.

Grandma Lucy's has 6 formulas, all of which are grain free and freeze dried.
The Honest Kitchen has 6 formulas (one more grain free formula coming out later this year will make it 7 formulas soon), half of which are grain free and half containing grain, and all of them are dehydrated. Both Grandma Lucy's and The Honest Kitchen have 5 complete formulas and 1 pre-mix formula that require the addition of meat. Soon The Honest Kitchen will have 6 complete formulas once their new Zeal formula comes out.

Grandma Lucy's is more expensive (freeze drying as a process alone is more expensive than dehydration) but has more protein sources to choose from including Bison, Venison, Chicken, Lamb, Pork, and add your own meat.

The Honest Kitchen costs less but has fewer protein sources to choose from currently including Chicken, Beef, Turkey, and add your own meat. Later this year their new formula, Zeal, is coming out and is a grain free fish based formula.

I would say that freeze dried is probably ever so slightly better than dehydrated because it involves flash freezing which preserves the food in its state exactly as it is. Dehydration involves using some heat which can alter the food a little. The Honest Kitchen does dehydrate their food at low temperatures though to preserve the nutrients in it as much as possible so when all is said and done, both products are still great and pretty comparable even though they are processed differently.

As far as experience I have not personally fed Grandma Lucy's but I know people who have and they have had nothing but great things to say about it. By the same token those people who have tried both Grandma Lucy's and The Honest Kitchen have shared that they got the same great results with both so eventually ended up either rotating between the two for variety or sticking with The Honest Kitchen simply because it's more affordable and yielded the same results.

I feed The Honest Kitchen to my dogs. I rotate between the complete formulas but I do add raw meat, cooked meat, and canned food to their Honest Kitchen several times a week as well. When we go on vacation or a trip I just feed THK as is since it's so much easier when we're traveling.

I have also tried Sojos dehydrated dog food which is another comparable product. It costs more than The Honest Kitchen but I got the same results with Sojos that I did with Honest Kitchen so I just stick with THK. Sojos also does not have much to choose from anyway.

Regarding the celery from China, if that really is a deal breaker for you then it might be worth noting that 3 of their formulas do NOT contain celery. Those formulas include Thrive, Verve, and Keen. Furthermore, as of August 2010 The Honest Kitchen is said to stop sourcing celery in China and start sourcing celery from North America. So that should not be a concern for future batches. Truthfully a lot of the food and produce that I eat comes from China and a multitude of Asian countries so I really am not one to worry about it.

I definitely like dehydrated/freeze dried products such as Grandma Lucy's and The Honest Kitchen over premium kibbles like Evo and Orijen because they are less processed thereby preserving more nutrients and have fewer ingredients. Kibbles are processed at high temps thereby destroying more of the nutrients.

I used to feed Innova Evo and am so much happier now with my dogs on The Honest Kitchen. I only wish I had switched long before I did. :)
Thank you for the very thorough response! From doing some research, it appears that Grandma Lucy's is actually cheaper than the Honest Kitchen. At Complete Petmart, The Honest Kitchen's Force is $79.99 and Embark $89.99 (10 lb. box = 40-43 cups) At onlynaturalpet.com, the Force is $77.99 and Embark $83.99. At the same site, Grandma Lucy's chicken was $57.99 and venison was $87.99. It states their 10 lb. box = 55 pounds of food. Again, thanks to everyone who has responded in this thread. If anyone else has anything else, I'd love to hear it. I think I may start with Grandma Lucy's and see how it goes.

·
Registered
56 Posts
If you can get the Grandma Lucy's for cheaper than The Honest Kitchen I would definitely go for it. I would love to feed Grandma Lucy's as part of a rotation but for me it would be more expensive than getting THK. If I could get Grandma Lucy's for about the same price as The Honest Kitchen or less I would definitely buy it. :wink:

·
Registered
165 Posts
Do you feed the THK as a stand alone or do you add meat to it? The person I spoke with from Grandma Lucy's said their food is a stand alone. Also, I've read a lot on these two companies the last couple of days, but I'm still not sure I totally understand the benefits of their preparation methods (dehydrated/freeze dried) versus standard kibble. Nutritionally, is it more beneficial than a quality kibble (Acana/Orijen)? If so, why? We've fed our dogs Innova for years, so I'm out of the loop on what all is out there. I read where Innova will be changing their formula January 2011, so I'm starting to look to change because I really don't trust P&G with dog food. I'm debating between THK, Grandma Lucy's, Acana and Orijen. I just want what is best for my dogs and I don't know if I'm putting too much thought into it at this point. From everything I've read on those four foods, it's like splitting hairs. I guess I'm looking for a reason to push me in one direction! Thanks for your response and help!
IMO as others have said, the less processed the better. Thus THK/Grandma Lucy's win out over any kibble any day. We fed Acana for awhile after we found out P & G was buying Innova/Natura Pet out, and I just wasn't happy with it, nor did my dogs like it, and they aren't even picky LOL.

I do add meat from time to time, or cottage cheese, or eggs, but all of THK formulas are considered "complete" besides "Preference" which is the one you have to add your own meat to. Like Raw Fed Dogs said, the more meat, the better. THK has moderate and appropriate levels of meat based on what we know about dogs, but I like to give a bit extra when it comes to meat because after all, they are dogs. I'm sure you could never add meat though and still have happy healthy thriving dogs :)

·
Banned
539 Posts
We are in the process of switching dog foods and would like any feedback on these two brands. I know there are some differences...Honest Kitchen dehydrates their food and Grandma Lucy's freeze dries their food. I talked to the people at Grandma Lucy's and they say that actually helps the food retain most of its nutrition. The part that concerns me about Honest Kitchen is that they get their ingredients from all over the world....including Asia. Grandma Lucy's ingredients all come from the US. If you've had any experiences with these two brands (good or bad) I would be really appreciative if you could share them. Thanks.
The BIG issue with Honest Kitchen is they aren't very honest. 1st off they do get some ingredients from China and that comes from their website.. 2. They refuse to say where and who makes this food. Hummm. 3. It is stated on their website that other foods can and should be given while feeding this product, Huh.:confused: I well stick with Orijen because they can be trusted.

·
Registered
4,419 Posts
The BIG issue with Honest Kitchen is they aren't very honest. 1st off they do get some ingredients from China and that comes from their website..

How is that dishonest? They don't deny it do they?

2. They refuse to say where and who makes this food. Hummm.
Not telling you something is not dishonest. Telling something that is untrue is dishonest.

3. It is stated on their website that other foods can and should be given while feeding this product, Huh.
How is that dishonest? Telling you it's complete and balanced would be dishonest.

I just don't see anything dishonest here. Are any of these reasons not to buy their food? Possibly ... but not dishonest.

·
Registered
4 Posts
We have used HK Keen and Thrive with lots of success (the other formulas are way over the top expensive). I just received my bag of Grandma Lucy's to try. Although I am a huge HK fan, and low protein was always a slight concern and I usually added yogurt or canned wellness (95% meat) to it. But my dog did SO well on it. I kept kibble in his diet because we travel and his boarding spot will do kibble only, but he gets digestive upset if he gets only dry kibble, poor guy.
I have to say, the Grandma Lucy's is amazing. It smells even better than the HK, and the chicken formula has 26% protein compared to 21% in HK Keen, and has big chunks of chicken which cut up easily after water has been added. I just ordered some from drugstore.com at $19.99 for a 3 lb (=17 lbs ) bag. Its totally cheaper than the $28 I pay for HK (w/ out shipping or tax). I found it in a local store for $25, still cheaper. Plus I feel like I am paying for more valuable ingredients with Lucy's, since Keen has both oats AND potato. I love that it is only US ingredients and hormone free meats. Yay!

·
Banned
539 Posts
How is that dishonest? They don't deny it do they?

ot telling you something is not dishonest. Telling something that is untrue is dishonest.

How is that dishonest? Telling you it's complete and balanced would be dishonest.

I just don't see anything dishonest here. Are any of these reasons not to buy their food? Possibly ... but not dishonest.
Go to their website,,, Only abady has more bull shi!.. Never mind, I forgot, you are, the, ""raw feeder""....

·
Registered
4,419 Posts
Go to their website,,, Only abady has more bull shi!.. Never mind, I forgot, you are, the, ""raw feeder""....
I asked you 3 direct questions about statements you made. Why don't you just answer my questions? Sending me to their website is not answering, it is avoiding answering. And yes I am. :smile:

·
Registered
165 Posts
Bottom line is, bull shi& or not, my dogs are doing very well on the food, not everyone can chop up a chicken every night, nor do they want to. My dogs were on the highest quality kibble and since starting HK their fur is even softer than it was before, their stools are more formed and healthy, and the little one's seemingly endless tummy troubles are gone and so are his ear infections. Tearing and tear staining has reduced as well. IMO, the results speak for themselves.

L

·
0 Posts
Bottom line is, bull shi& or not, my dogs are doing very well on the food, not everyone can chop up a chicken every night, nor do they want to. My dogs were on the highest quality kibble and since starting HK their fur is even softer than it was before, their stools are more formed and healthy, and the little one's seemingly endless tummy troubles are gone and so are his ear infections. Tearing and tear staining has reduced as well. IMO, the results speak for themselves.

I'm glad to hear this. Thank you for sharing.

1 - 20 of 72 Posts