Dog Food Chat banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We have a dog that does not tolerate grains or chicken. After tests, and trying a wide variety of different foods (I swear I have tried every single dog food out there that isn't utter crap...and I know, all you RAW PREY MODELS are shaking your head), we finally tried him on EVO Red Meat Small Bites, and he has done best on that.

He is only 2.5 lbs and almost full grown, so cost isn't a consideration for feeding him. Things I do have to consider are I travel frequently with him, so I need a convenient take-a-long option.

I also don't have the time or space resources to feed RAW right now. Complicating that, the one time he's sniped raw chicken from my other dogs, he got very, very ill (they get chicken wing bones with some meat removed 2-3 times a week to help with teeth, as well as a few other RMB...when we are home and we have this option. I do other dental care as well). And chicken is the primary raw food people feed. Anyway...

So I am considering trying feeding him THK Embark with, at least for now, small amounts of lean beef when we are home and I have that ability, but otherwise, it looks like we will probably feed him EVO if we don't go this route.

His tummy is VERY sensitive and he can NOT have chicken or most grains, ESPECIALLY rices.

Just wondering if anyone has a feeling one way or the other on which is the way to go.

I know there are a lot of diehard prey model feeders here...please understand, I love my dog, but right now that just won't work.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Well hello there! :wink:

You already know my take on this but I vote Honest Kitchen if he can tolerate it. If not then I'd stick with what you know, the Evo RM. Have you tried the Embark yet?

·
Registered
469 Posts
i also vote for honest kitchen. i honestly have never fed it, but i know dogs that are on it. they look great! and clients just rave about this food :)

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well hello there! :wink:

You already know my take on this but I vote Honest Kitchen if he can tolerate it. If not then I'd stick with what you know, the Evo RM. Have you tried the Embark yet?

We ordered it, so it won't get here until Monday, I believe. There is a store here that can order it in as well so if we decide I like it, which I think we will, we'll stick w/ it. I really hope he can tolerate it.:smile:

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i also vote for honest kitchen. i honestly have never fed it, but i know dogs that are on it. they look great! and clients just rave about this food :)
I hope he can handle it. Part of what I like about the Embark is it has a relatively high fiber content LOL, and if ever there was a dog in need of fiber, it is my little guy!

I know people say it's "soup" and blah blah blah, but honestly to me, logically, seems easier to digest...we'll see how it goes.

·
Registered
1,791 Posts
I just don't see how anyone can afford Honest Kitchen.

AND this is from someone feeding Acana and Orijen currently :eek::biggrin:

seriously, HK is $5+/lbs.

Overall looks like great food though.

·
Registered
4,655 Posts

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

Well he eats so little it hopefully won't be to costly. He's only 2.5 lbs so that's only a few tablespoons of food per day. So...we'll see.

We tried him on the Acana Grasslands and no go. :-/ I"m just hunting now...so we'll see.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I don't know much about dehydrated food for dogs but this food is one our raw food co-op was able to start getting and everyone was really excited about it being available in the U.S. NRG Pet Products Smart Nutritional Research Group Ltd dehydrated pet food dehydrated dog food
They don't specifiy meat type/source, so that won't work for my little guy as he absolutely can't have chicken and we almost lost him when we first got him discovering that :-/ Thank you for sharing the link though, looks interesting for those that don't have food sensitivities!

·
Registered
56 Posts

The Honest Kitchen really isn't that expensive. Looking at the price on the box may give you sticker shock but that is for the dehydrated product. Let's take the most expensive formula into consideration which is Embark. Embark sells for about $83 for a 10 lb box. However that 10 lb box actually makes 43 lbs of food once rehydrated so you're really paying $83 for 43 lbs worth of food which ends up being $1.93/lb

Before switching to THK I fed my dogs Evo which cost me $55 for a 28.6 lb bag. That calculates out to $1.92/lb.

I feed my dogs THK Keen formula which costs me $52 for a 10 lb box which makes 43 lbs of food. So it really ends up costing me $1.21/lb which is actually cheaper than what I paid per lb with Evo (and Evo is even cheaper than Orijen!). :wink:

I don't know much about dehydrated food for dogs but this food is one our raw food co-op was able to start getting and everyone was really excited about it being available in the U.S. NRG Pet Products Smart Nutritional Research Group Ltd dehydrated pet food dehydrated dog food
I am a fan of dehydrated raw food, I definitely prefer it over any kibble. However I would be concerned about the product you linked to and it's not something I would consider because it does not name the meat in it. "Free range meat" doesn't tell me what it is. :confused:

·
Registered
329 Posts
My 11 month old Weim puppy likes both Thrive and Embark. My 4 yr old Weim doesn't care to much for Thrive, but will eat it.

Currently, I'm feeding them Preference (the one you have to add the meat to). They get half a cup of preference and one cup of cooked boneless chicken breast in the morning and evening. As far as Honest Kitchen being expensive??? This combo costs me a $1.87 a dog a day to feed. And it is plenty of food for two 70lb weimeraners.

When I feed kibble, my puppy eats Orijen Large Breed Puppy and my adult eats Evo Chicken and Turkey. She also like Evo Red meat. I understand that you want a kibble for travel. If I have to board my dogs or have my parents watch them, it just seems like explaining how to feed Honest Kitchen is mad science to people.....it's just easier to use a high quality kibble for these situations. As long as I'm feeding them, then they only get Honest Kitchen meals.

·
Registered
4,655 Posts
The NRG website is very interesting and if you read it, it infact does tell you that they offer their food in several different proteins, but for the ingredient list it just put free range meat instead of choosing to list chicken, or salmon or beef for that particular kind of dehydrated food.

·
Registered
1,791 Posts
The Honest Kitchen really isn't that expensive. Looking at the price on the box may give you sticker shock but that is for the dehydrated product. Let's take the most expensive formula into consideration which is Embark. Embark sells for about $83 for a 10 lb box. However that 10 lb box actually makes 43 lbs of food once rehydrated so you're really paying $83 for 43 lbs worth of food which ends up being $1.93/lb

Before switching to THK I fed my dogs Evo which cost me $55 for a 28.6 lb bag. That calculates out to $1.92/lb.

I feed my dogs THK Keen formula which costs me $52 for a 10 lb box which makes 43 lbs of food. So it really ends up costing me $1.21/lb which is actually cheaper than what I paid per lb with Evo (and Evo is even cheaper than Orijen!). :wink:

I am a fan of dehydrated raw food, I definitely prefer it over any kibble. However I would be concerned about the product you linked to and it's not something I would consider because it does not name the meat in it. "Free range meat" doesn't tell me what it is. :confused:

wow, thanks. I learned something. I had no idea about the dehydrated aspect of the food.

I gotta go do some reading before I post out here again ;)

·
Registered
474 Posts
wow, thanks. I learned something. I had no idea about the dehydrated aspect of the food.

I gotta go do some reading before I post out here again ;)
You can usually find a $5 coupon on the web-site. Here is how my dogs ranked some the products:

1. Embarq
2. Keen
3. Thrive ( not real wild about this one)

I always would add some additional raw meat i.e. chicken quarter, pork rib, etc.

·
Registered
56 Posts
You can usually find a $5 coupon on the web-site. Here is how my dogs ranked some the products:

1. Embarq
2. Keen
3. Thrive ( not real wild about this one)

I always would add some additional raw meat i.e. chicken quarter, pork rib, etc.
They do sometimes have coupons available. Currently I don't think they have any on their website. I do have $5 off coupons if anyone is interested, just let me know.

My dogs don't seem to prefer one formula over another but they do the best on Force. I rotate between the different formulas for variety and regularly mix in raw meat, cooked meat and canned foods.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I'm so excited. Our "Embark" formula came today so I decided to test it out. I figured mine would turn up their noses and walk away as I've read that seems to be a common response.

Maybe my dogs are just pigs, but they GOBBLED it. I did a 1:1 rehydration ratio, and it wasn't "soupy" at all, something I was scared it might be. It was about the consistency of cookie dough or thereabouts.

Because the Embark is a bit more expensive, I will first finish the kibble we have with this mixed in, then transition them to having raw meat mixed in. They already get raw meaty bones, but I was pleased when I got the food. You can actually see the bits of things that are dehydrated, its not just a "powder".

Will keep everyone updated on how mine react long term and how I adjust feeding. I do like the Fromm kibble we've been feeding and I am sure we will always keep some on hand as it is made by a small, private manufacturer that has answered all of my questions in a timely manner and I truly feel comfortable with the food, but as I think many of us here are, I am always looking for a better alternative to kibble.

I like that I can easily mix in raw meat (or cooked), and still know they are getting a good balance of protein, fiber and fat...backing me up incase I give the wrong proportions.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I think I've tried every HK formula except Verve, and my dogs GOBBLED each of them - they loved them. I saw a little less excitement over the Thrive, but they still liked it and licked the bowls clean!

"You can actually see the bits of things that are dehydrated, its not just a "powder". "

Yes....you can.....and you can also see these things in their poop - well, at least I had that with one of my dogs. It also made her poop a LOT - but it may be that it didn't agree with her stomach (she's got a sensitive stomach) so watch out for that.

It's a great food. They are coming out with a new forumla (grain free with a fish protein, will be called Zeal)....according to their facebook site.

Dana

·
Registered
56 Posts
I'm glad to hear your pack liked the food at least. I'm looking forward to hearing how they do on it after feeding it for a while. :smile:

·
Registered
645 Posts
Have begun to seriously consider this food also. I have also been in touch with the staff about our two senior siberians and what formula(s) might be best. They have suggested I run the nurtient profile for Force by our vet, to insure the phosphorous/calcium ratio won't be a problem for our boy who had a very slightly elevated creatinine level with his bloodwork in June. I know his bun to creatinine level was in the low range of normal and his phosphorous was low normal, all other numbers were in the low or mid range of wnl, but I need to check calcium anyways, and also with the vet for peace of mind.
I like the idea we could still cook for the dogs, but our dogs do like variety and I am wondering how they would do with just having Force, and then maybe we add some cooked or quality canned for variety on occasion. The difference for our dogs would be that we rotate their kibble quarterly or so and it appears Force might be the one formula they would do best with at their age and based on their bloodwork.
Anyone have experience with the Force formula in particular?

·
Registered
56 Posts
Anyone have experience with the Force formula in particular?
I've fed all of the HK formulas and by far my sibe does the absolute best on Force, hands down. Force is actually the formula that I recommend the most because of not only my own personal experience with it but also the vast majority of HK feeders who also have had the same results of Force giving them the best results as well. I know another husky owner who has a sibe with IBD who does the best on Force as well.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts