Dog Food Chat banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got some effective herbs for the management of Annie's arthritis pain on order. They should be here in the next few days. Most of them are coming in capsule form, but that would make quite the "cocktail" of pills I have to get Annie to take. Breaking them open to sprinkle on her food would be a bit tedious for my son, who does the feeding most of the time. Also, I am wanting these herbs to be very fast acting and potent for her.

Anyway, I've been looking up instructions for making tinctures, and found they are best done with alcohol, such as Vodka. Not sure if that would be safe for my dog, even in just a small concentrated dose, like a few drops... Yes, it can be done with vinegar, but then it doesn't last as long, and may not be as potent...

When the herbs get here, I will start off by making a decoction while I wait for the tincture to set (six weeks). I'm definitely making a tincture for us humans, also-- Mr. Fundog has chronic pain from a spinal fusion surgery several years ago.

Anyway, so does anyone use an herbal tincture for their dogs? Is your tincture made with alcohol, vinegar, or water? Or something else? Can a tincture be made using fish oil or olive oil?

The herbs I've got on order are:

Feverfew, Burdock Root, Yucca Root, Chinese Skullcap Root, Passion Flower, and Hops (not sure, but I thought hops is toxic to dogs, so I got that just for the humans). Each of these herbs are separate, not in combination, so I can customize the combination myself.

Thanks for any help you can give me. : )

1 - 2 of 2 Posts