Dog Food Chat banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
(Pics and recipe now in post No.4)
So thought I would have a go at making some dog bikkies (cookies to those of you in USA/Canada).
I have just made them and will take some pics.
Is anyone interested in the recipe and how they came out?
I am dying to try them but they smell so bad I can't bring myself too.
Even though I don't feed cereal to Stanley on a regular basis, thought these would be good for treats.
I will post exact proportions later.

oatmeal
flaxmeal
beef liver
eggs
pork fat or coconut oil
dried garlic

Husband NOT a happy bunny with me as he says whole house stinks and he is cooking massive shoulder of lamb shortly for his parents and is worried it will contaminate his dinner ha ha ha! it is quite funny.
I have taken them outside to cool down - blimey hope the neighbours don't complain.

·
Registered
2,233 Posts
I haven't made dog treats in a long time since Turtle is having such a problem, but looks good to me. I have used oatmeal in treats before and unless your dog is allergic to it it's ok. You can use rice flour, potato flour what ever kind you want.

If your hubby complains to much I can give you some that smell really good but they have banana in them and no meat.

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
DSC07575.jpg DSC07576.jpg

These are the dog biscuits I made. I had to put them outside to cool as they were a bit stinky, but not once they were cooled.

2 cups oatmeal
half a cup of flaxmeal
300g (10oz approx) liver or other meat
2 eggs
4 Tbs melted animal fat or coconut oil
1 tsp granulated dried garlic/or 1 clove fresh

I first minced the liver in food processor.
Put all the other ingredients into a large bowl, add liver or meat, mix up well.
Refrigerate for 30 mins or so to firm up (you don't have to do this stage).
Spread onto a baking tray with baking paper underneath.
Cook in moderate oven 170oC/325oF for 30 mins.
Take out and score into little squares.
Lower oven to 150oC/300oF and put back to dry out a bit more for another 30-45 mins.
They should just break into the squares when they are cool or just break them up how you want.

Stanley was a very naughty dog just after this pic was taken. Normally a very well behaved boy, he decided he would help himself to some of the biscuits when I brought them inside. Because he is tall enough to just get his nose and mouth over the edge of the freezer they were on he thought he might just have another little taste, then another then another! Sadly for him he was caught in the act and got growled at.

Second photo is just me showing off. Later on in the evening I made a Pear Frangipane Tart and yes I made the pastry and even grew the pears. It was very nice.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts