Dog Food Chat banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
469 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
does anyone here cook for their dogs? I know that raw meat is supposed to be better for them than cooked. but i would like to start home cooking some meals for my dogs.

I would like something with lightly cooked or boiled meat, some cooked veggies and maybe some whole grain noodles of some sort... not very many at all though.

and how do i find out if there are any supplements i need to add? thank you!

·
Registered
10,128 Posts
If you know that raw is supposed to be better than cooked...why go through the extra work and trouble to feed cooked food? Just hand your dogs a RMB once a week or so. Easy as that.

·
Registered
469 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
id like to cook something like.. in comparison to blue buffalo, just fresh of course.

I have a bit of OCD and me and raw squishy rubbery meat just dont go hand and hand. i was thinking it would be so much easier on me and my weirdness to just grab me out a chicken quarter and quickly drop in in boiling water. no yuck factor there, but maybe second. :tongue: and i know that no bacteria transfers, but to me it is soooo gross to think of a dog licking me in the face or licking my hand and they were just eating raw chicken a few hours ago!

I feed raw a few years back. honestly, it is just way too much of a yuck factor to me. to the point of making me nausea. i know its the best option for dogs to eat raw, but i am just not up for it.

·
Registered
10,780 Posts
when i fed home cooked...i cleaned a chicken.....and put it into cold water and boiled the crap out of it.....

make sure you clean the scum off the top...i call it scum..it's just the major fat coming off...it's as if you're making chicken soup....and you want it nice and clear because the nutrients from the chicken are going in to that water...

once the chicken is cooked...i remove the bones......cuisinart the chicken and place in big mixing bowl...

then i take brown rice or barley or quinoa or all three and cook them up in the chicken broth...

i buy from costco and they have a wonderful veggie blend....it's got broccoli and yellow and orange carrots and cauliflower....and i don't cook them, i cuisinart them.

once every thing is cooked, i mix it together, food seal a week's worth and voila.

i then go to b-naturals.com and i buy berte's immune blend and berte's green blend....i give my dogs 500 iu of alaskan salmon oil and there's my cooked food.

you can also add in ground lamb, bison, hamburger, turkey....and i do that too....right into the water..and cook it all up...

my dogs loved it..

·
Registered
10,128 Posts
As long as you're ok with the work of cooking for your dogs, I say go for it! It's tons better for them than kibble!

·
Registered
10,780 Posts
yeah, i am thinking about cooking for them!
cook a weeks worth at a time, and freeze some.
if you do what i did, by adding in mostly chicken, hamburger, ground turkey, bison, and lamb....(about 75%) and then the rest divvied up between the brown rice and veggies (25%)...you've got enough to make 'log' rolls and will last almost a month, well, depending on the weight of your dogs...

·
Registered
16 Posts
Home recipes

I have tons of home made recipes. Just depends on whether there are allergies,
or special needs such as Kidney,Cancer ect.
I don't use Grains only potatoes ,
The exception is Brown Rice in the event of illness. I know there isn't an allergy,
I make probably 60% of the food my dog eats.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts