Dog Food Chat banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, I wondered about that.
There is bone in that, right?

I thought the thighs might be good too, for our little dude Jack?
The bone in ones.

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Quarters I get from a different store for .89 a pound, when they have them.
They go pretty fast, though.
I still need a big honkin' freezer so I can go here:

Tower Chicken Farm Inc - Milwaukee, WI

·
Registered
5,009 Posts
Quarters I get from a different store for .89 a pound, when they have them.
They go pretty fast, though.
I still need a big honkin' freezer so I can go here:

Tower Chicken Farm Inc - Milwaukee, WI
If you have a wal mart nearby, thats where we buy our chicken quarters, for 61 cents per pound. I'd definately check it out if I were you.
I rely on the chicken to keep my costs low, because beef is really expensive here.

·
Banned
493 Posts
If you have a wal mart nearby, thats where we buy our chicken quarters, for 61 cents per pound. I'd definately check it out if I were you.
I rely on the chicken to keep my costs low, because beef is really expensive here.
do u ever get pork ribs? if you look for the "manager's special" packages you can often get a huge rack for 5 bucks.

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
For some reason none of our Walmarts are 'super'.
FAIL!
.61 a pound is awesome!

·
Registered
5,009 Posts
For some reason none of our Walmarts are 'super'.
FAIL!
.61 a pound is awesome!
yeah, that's at full price, too. They go on sale every now and then for $4.10 per 10 lb bag.
I don't know if it has to be a super wal mart, I think some that aren't labaled as such have a smaller grocery section. I'd call around. And honestly if you have the freezer space, it might be in your benefit to make the drive once a month or so and stock up. You can also try asking a bitcher to order for you i bulk.
Chicken is the one thing I won't pay even close to a dollar for. It's the source that keeps me costs lower. I really try to keep a good stock so I am never forced to pay full price, and buy a ton when things are on sale.

·
Registered
4,655 Posts
Gee, for some reason my dogs won't even touch cheap chickens.

·
Registered
4,655 Posts
I myself couldn't eat southern grown chicken, so I can't expect my dogs to. It has to be northwest grown.

·
Registered
5,009 Posts
I myself couldn't eat southern grown chicken, so I can't expect my dogs to. It has to be northwest grown.
That makes sense to me. I don't really eat much meat period. Right now I can't afford to buy all organic stuff, it's not in the books for me. I feel good about feeding what I do, its still worlds above kibble, and in the budget, so that's what we feed. And I love it when it goes on sale!!!!

Out of curiosity, how do you know what is grown where, and how much do you pay for "northwest grown" chicken?

·
Registered
4,655 Posts
When I buy it at the store on sale chicken wings and drumsticks $1.19-.99# depending on what store, when I buy in bulk .86# for drumsticks, wings are .99# no matter what.

·
Registered
5,009 Posts
When I buy it at the store on sale chicken wings and drumsticks $1.19-.99# depending on what store, when I buy in bulk .86# for drumsticks, wings are .99# no matter what.
Hmm, that's not too bad. I'll actually look into it.
But how do you know where each kind is grown? What do I need to know to determine that? I buy quarters though, is there a better brand or supplier of those?

·
Registered
4,655 Posts
You should be able to ask at walmart if it doesn't say on the packaging. Foster farms is northwest grown and Draper valley farms is northwest grown.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts