Dog Food Chat banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,885 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Soo, this morning I gave Ania her CLQ breakfast in the yard then went back in the house. I checked in on her after 2 minutes. She was gone and so was the CLQ. I called for her, and she came scurrying out of the trees with no CLQ. There was no way she had time to eat her breakfast, she's really a very dainty eater :biggrin:. So I know she went off to burry it.

A couple months ago, my husband was working in the yard, and he noticed Ania gnawing away on a dirt covered CLQ. Apparently, she's buried before....

In my brief search before I had to leave for work, I could not find the CLQ. So Ania didn't get breakfast. I'm okay with this. She did it to herself LOL!

My question is this: Should I use the tough love method on her until she gets hungry enough to un-earth the chicken and eat it? Also, WHY is she doing this???

I have a bad feeling that both of the CLQ's that she hid were my 40 cents/lb Wal-Mart ones. :( So, I guess my costs are going to go up.

·
Registered
10,780 Posts
Soo, this morning I gave Ania her CLQ breakfast in the yard then went back in the house. I checked in on her after 2 minutes. She was gone and so was the CLQ. I called for her, and she came scurrying out of the trees with no CLQ. There was no way she had time to eat her breakfast, she's really a very dainty eater :biggrin:. So I know she went off to burry it.

A couple months ago, my husband was working in the yard, and he noticed Ania gnawing away on a dirt covered CLQ. Apparently, she's buried before....

In my brief search before I had to leave for work, I could not find the CLQ. So Ania didn't get breakfast. I'm okay with this. She did it to herself LOL!

My question is this: Should I use the tough love method on her until she gets hungry enough to un-earth the chicken and eat it? Also, WHY is she doing this???

I have a bad feeling that both of the CLQ's that she hid were my 40 cents/lb Wal-Mart ones. :( So, I guess my costs are going to go up.
i had a kimba who used to hide her dog cookies...when we were feeding cookies as treats....back in the day....we would wonder, sometimes, why she would suddenly appear with a piece of cookie....

after she died, we found them in the couch, the chair, outside, some were buried....

when we had her cremated, we had two cookies cremated with her...and they, along with her ashes, are at multnomah falls, oregon, along with her brother and sister.

your baby is a hoarder...LOL

don't know if you can tough love them out of that.....

·
Registered
10,128 Posts
This is something dogs do on instinct. Shiloh used to do it regularly but has since then stopped for the most part. I think it's because she doesn't want anyone else to dig it up. It's not harmful for her one bit. She might be doing it because she gets enough to eat and this might be a subtle way for her to be saying "I get plenty to eat so I will save this for another day." If you don't want her to do this, I would do the tough love approach but I honestly don't think I would unless it got to the point she was burrying every meal. I would have to say that her inner wolf is comin' out LOL

·
Registered
1,885 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
your baby is a hoarder...LOL
That's what I'm affraid of. :eek: LOL!

Shiloh used to do this. I personally just let her dig up her chicken when she was ready to eat it. I figured she wanted to "season" it for a bit before she ate it
Yeah, I figured it wouldn't hurt her to eat the overly "seasoned" meat. I just didn't want a yard full of chicken!

She might be doing it because she gets enough to eat and this might be a subtle way for her to be saying "I get plenty to eat so I will save this for another day."
I'll just cut down her food a little. She has been packing on a few extra pounds lately.... But my husband is a big eater and doesn't quite understand that Ania is not ALWAYS hungry when he is! So, maybe this little hide-and-seek episode will provide the proof he needs.:tongue:

Thanks everyone!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts