Dog Food Chat banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello !

I ended here because I was looknig for the diffenrence between Kirkland Costco dog fod and Premium Edge that looks almost the same to me... The smell, the bite size and the odor seems to be the same.

About me, we are dogs lovers my boyfriend and I , owning English Springer Spaniel and Braque d'Auvergne ( Auvergne Pointer, origins from France).

I will be happy to learn more about dog food, I know many thing but it's always time to learn!

Laurie

·
Registered
175 Posts
Hi, Laurie! Welcome to the board. :smile:

This one looks fairly similar to Kirkland but does appear to possibly be a little "meatier" than Kirkland, based on having fish meal as the third ingredient in addition to the same two first ingredients as Kirkland. Having said that, the protein content doesn't seem to be different (both check in at 26%, decent but not particularly high) so there may not be much more meat protein content in Premium Edge.

I don't know about the cost differential, but if it's significant I would still think Kirkland might be better from a value perspective because if Premium Edge is better, it appears to be by a slim amount. I was not at all surprised to discover that PE is also manufactured by Diamond (like Kirkland), based on the strong similarities in the ingredients including the whole grain brown rice and barley as prominent ingredients.

One thing that concerns me about PE even more than Kirkland is that PE is higher in fish meal, and Diamond hasn't certified that its suppliers use ethoxyquin-free preservatives for its fish meal. The fish meal in Kirkland is low enough that the Ethoxyquin content is (at worst) quite low, but in a third ingredient on the list it could potentially contain a lot more E than Kirkland. Apparently Diamond has said they are moving to completely E-free production themselves, but to my knowledge they have not pledged that their suppliers will also be E-free.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

Ziggy29, do you think if I write by e-mail to Diamond they will answer me about the E? I was interested in this only fish formula, but now that you mentionned the E... I'm not sure I want to use it.

L

·
0 Posts
Welcome, Laurie, I hope you find lots of answers here. I've heard good things about Kirkland kibble and think it's very good for the price.

Enjoy your time on the Forum.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts