Dog Food Chat banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am a big animal lover who has two chocolate labs and one 8 year old thoroughbred gelding. My older dog is 12. She was quite the athlete in her day and really beat up her body so she is pretty decrepit now. She has a deep muscle tear on her right front shoulder and blew out her left back ACL (had surgery on it) and she limps quite significantly. But in spite of that she does okay- still swims and walks two miles daily (at her own pace). She is currently on Hills G/D food. My younger dog is 5 and has allergies. She is on Hill D/D venison & potato food and also gets allergy shots every 20 days. She has really improved and you would never know that she has allergies. But that is the real reason why I joined this - because I recently found out that even the prescription science diet dog food is actually quite bad. I'm trying to educate myself on dog food and want to switch both my girls to something that is truly healthy for them. But the more I am researching I'm finding it's not that easy - there are so many opinions.

·
Registered
4,655 Posts
Welcome to the forum, good for you for really looking into what your feeding your dogs! Allergies in dogs are a hard one to figure out as you need to find the source of the allergen first. I definitely would suggest going for a grainfree diet or even considering doing raw as that is a very appropriate diet for a dog.

You'll get lots of info here as we have a great bunch of people with a plethora of info for you. Good Luck!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks so much! I'm already finding that out and have gotten some great advice already. I actually think I am going to try Wellness Simple Food Solutions for my one with allergies. In addition, we are going to be adding a new puppy to our menagerie in June so I will probably be looking for a lot of advice about that too!

·
Registered
10,128 Posts
Hello and welcome!!! I hope you find all that you are looking for here, since we don't just talk nutrition don't hesitate to post up any questions dog related (or any question for that matter) :wink:

·
Registered
2,359 Posts
Hi and welcome to the forum! I also am a lab lover! You will get alot of good info. here! Have fun!:smile:

·
Registered
10,780 Posts
welcome to the forum....i think you'll find it very informative and relaxed here...nice and cozy and filled with dog lovers...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts