Dog Food Chat banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
HELLO :biggrin:

My name's Canice, and I'm currently studying full time. I've joined this forum for some time now, and I just got my miniature schnauzer last wednesday. Her name's Muffin, and in my opinion, i think she's quite a lazy but smart dog. She's picked up a few commands and learnt her name, but her interst in food/toys only holds for awhile. Thus, she ends up lying on the floor most of the time, making it tough for me to train her. She hates apples and carrots, and I think she's allergic to chicken. (She keeps scratching and biting herself, and I heard that about 80% of schnauzers are allergic to chicken) Therefore, Im switching her over to Solid Gold Hundchen Flocken Puppy dog food. Im not sure what kind of treats should I use to entice her with during training, so any suggestions would be welcome :D

Here are some pictures of my little girl:
Dog Food Forum

Dog Food Forum

Dog Food Forum
Can you spot the difference?

:biggrin:

·
Registered
3,550 Posts
Dehydrated beef liver is always a great training treat for pups.

And sorry, but your picture links didn't work :(

Welcome to the forum!

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Noted :D They dont get bored of the same treats do they?

I reposted the link alr, I hope it works now!

Thank you :D I look forward to acquiring more information here!

·
Registered
939 Posts
The links work now. She is adorable!!! :biggrin:

I second the dehydrated chicken liver idea...most dogs go crazy for it, mine included! Dried and freeze dried meats do pretty well too. Also, a cheap solution...get some hot dogs, cut them into thin slices and pop them in a 300 degree oven until dry. Dogs love them.

Basically the simpler the treat, the better. Try to stay away from all those highly processed, million ingredient treats such as Pupperoni, and Beggin' Strips. They're almost guaranteed to give your dog digestive issues in large quantities.

As for treat boredom...I generally recommend having a variety on hand. What kind of treat you use depends on what you're trying to do with her as well. For example, if you're teaching her something new or difficult, you need a treat that will get and hold her attention. Therefore, in this situation I always say to use a treat that you know your dog LOVES. On the flip side, let's say that your dogs knows sit...they know it very well. There's not as much of a need for a drop dead delicious treat, an average one will do in this scenario.

In a nutshell, look at it this way...if you just ate cracker after cracker after cracker, you'd get pretty bored and probably lose interest in them. However, if there was some steak thrown in there every once and a while...now that would be a different story. :biggrin:

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Thank You!! :D I'm glad the link works now! But she's a very lazy dog, the moment her ass hits the floor, she becomes too lazy to stand up or walk over, so she simply sits there and stares at me :(

Okay, I'll try that idea :biggrin: I was in a rush the other day and bought a box of Iams doggy biscuit, oh how i regret not reading the ingredient list before putting it into my shop basket :(
Dehydrated liver.. fresh from the kill or those that you can find in pet stores? Cause we dont really cook much in our house.

That makes sense, I get sick eating the same food all the time, hehheh.
I'll head down to the grocery and pet store to stock up my supplies soon :D
By the way, I bought a duck meat wraped in fish skin treat the other day, she likes to taste it but she never eats it, any idea why?? :confused:

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
Very cute pics!!
I love the one of her sleeping with the shoes!
You may also try string cheese. Most dogs love that as a training treat. It's really easy to use also. You can hold it in your fist, and just let her get a lick or two at a time. I have been in a training class and barely used 1 stick. Economical, and not too many "extra" treats to have to worry about.
Good luck!

·
Registered
4,655 Posts

·
Registered
2,359 Posts
Hi and welcome to the forum! What a cutie cutie cutie! Just adorable! You will find tons of info. here! Have fun!:smile:

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
Hi and welcome!
I have a soft spot for Schnauzers <3

·
Registered
7 Posts
Welcome.
I too have a mini schnauzer. Her name is Lucy. She is about 1 1/2 yrs old. Very active and spoiled rotton. Thanks to me. I have had her on Beneful and just bought a bag of blue Buffalo today. I am mixing this so I don't upset her tummy. So far she ate all the food in her bowl. I have tried Natural Balance she turns her nose up to it. So good luck.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
THANK YOU! I feel SO welcome already :biggrin:
Of all the forums I've checked out, I like this the best!
I didnt expect her to go to the shoe rack either, she just woke up from her sleep.. went over, scratched it and slept again -.-

All of your dogs are so adorable too! I always dream of having a home full of dogs of different breeds living together, something like the movie Hotel For Dogs!

I'm really grateful for all the treats advice, I will try it on her soon :biggrin:
Though i did try out her kibble yesterday, it works on her esp when she's hungry, and interested!

chelle, I really like ur schnauzer's colour, and ears! they're so straight!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts