Dog Food Chat banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Everybody, I'm Olive. I'm hoping to get some good information from the posters here on Dog Food Chat in reference to my new mixed breed puppy, Molly. She is adorable but also very hyper and itchy. She is beginning to scratch her hair off of certain spots on her body, so I decided to go with spending the extra time and money on raw meats in hopes that she will be happier and more comfortable in her own skin. I've heard good things...

Any volunteered info is appreciated, especially if you've had a dog with severe skin issues.

Looking forward to speaking with you all here!

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hi NutroGeoff, thank you much. I'm quite glad to have found this forum, as I'm worried about my poor puppy.

Well, I got her from the Humane Society, so I first came home with a big free bag of Purina (I think). I didn't like that it had so many fillers, so I ordered Castor and Pollux's Organic Puppy food. The ingredients in this seemed better quality but not necessarily high protein-she still itched and scratched terribly. Recently, I switched her over to Acana Pacifica with no change. That's why I've decided to just make her food. I live near a large Farmer's market that has decent (better than average) human grade meats of many kinds at okay prices. I'm hoping that I can get the portions right (meat/fat/meaty bones/organs) and that she will improve with time...

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Good Morning, Unoriginal (that's funny), I did actually read about the different types of mange yesterday right before I found this forum. It got me a bit concerned. She does play outside a lot (runs around by herself and seems to be dreaming of doing great things/being a little puppy hero;-). She also recently got tapeworm, which surprised me b/c I took her to the vet less than a month before I found one coming out of her bum. Her fecal scrape showed no parasites. She also, in the ten days before I found a worm, was given her scheduled dose of Heart Guard. I thought Heart Guard also killed other parasites, as someone told me it did. Maybe not though??

In any case, thanks for the reminder. I am going to call the little family vet down the street and see if they will see her in the morning. I would, indeed, like to rule mange out.

·
Registered
297 Posts
If she had a tapeworm, it means that she had/has fleas. Even if they are not actively on her at this moment, their bites could very well be causing her skin issues.

Have you bathed her yet? If not, I would definitely do that, if for no other reason than to soothe her itchiness.

As lovemydogsalways pointed out, Heartgard does not prevent against tapes, nor does it prevent against fleas. Did your vet put her on a dewormer, at least as a precaution? I give Trifexis which does have a flea preventative but does not work on tapes.

Also, how long has she been on Acana? It often takes a month or more to show improvements in dogs after a kibble change. Changes are not overnight; they do take time. Similarly with a raw diet, positive changes can often take 6 months or more and many dogs experience a heavy detox stage where symptoms get much worse before they get better.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hi Lovemydogalways, Good Morning,

Yes, we are giving her Heartguard and Frontline Plus. We got a six month supply from The Humane Society. She is still such a little flea bag though. Hopefully, she will grow out of this?! In any case, I'm taking her to the vet today. I want to get a mange scrape and have them check her ears-they are full of waxy gunk (mites?).

Will see...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts