2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey all:smile:

i'm just another newbie to the forum:smile:
i hope i'll be able to meet nice people here and make new friends also:biggrin:

L

·
0 Posts
Welcome! What kind of dog(s) do you have and what are you feeding it / them?

·
Registered
5,009 Posts
Welcome to the forum, it's always fun to have new members!
Tell us about your pets! We always love pictures, too!
What are you currently feeding them?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thank you for the welcome.:smile:

i have a 5 year old japanese spitz named woofy.
here's a couple of photos of him::biggrin:
woofy
woofy 2

woofy is a picky eater. he likes to eat boiled chicken and pork. he also eats the regular type of Alpo dry food. he used to eat the 5 kinds of meat canned dog food by Pedigree but just recently he stopped eating it. my parents and i tried feeding him several brands of dog food but right now he likes the Alpo one.

i've read that most dog foods sold at supermarkets aren't very nutritious for dogs. is that true? do you have suggestions on what i can feed my woofy?:confused:

·
Registered
4,419 Posts
i've read that most dog foods sold at supermarkets aren't very nutritious for dogs. is that true? do you have suggestions on what i can feed my woofy?:confused:
Thats very true. You are feeding some very low quality foods. Check out brands like EVO and Orijen. I dont feed my dogs kibble or any kind of "dog food" but if I had to feed kibble, one of those two would be the ones I would choose.

Learn how to read the ingredients list on the bag and learn what those ingredients are and what a dog needs for a healthy life.

·
Registered
2,359 Posts
Hi koala!

Woofy sure is a cutie!

Premium dog foods are better for your pup! Look atr the ingrediant list on the back of the dog food bag. Try to get a good food that has a meat first. No by products no wheat no corn no soy.
Look at Dog Food Analysis - Reviews of kibble

Hopefully you will get some good ideas from this sight!

Wellness is sold at petco which is a nice brand also. Do you have any boutique pet stores by you? Orijen and Evo are found at boutique the more specialty pet stores! even the people in the pet stores have good suggestions with foods.
And rememeber when transitioning foods you start with the new food a little at a time you dont make a drastic change you slowly change over. Like start with 25 % new food and 75% of the food you are feeding now. You do this for a few days until you gradually replace it all but it is a slow process as to not upset Woofies tummy!
Good luck with your pup and your food choice!:smile:

·
Registered
68 Posts
Welcome! I'm afraid you will catch a lot of flack on here for feeding Alpo. In fact you will experience the same on any of the dog forums. If you are looking for a decent food at a good price point, you might consider Chicken Soup for the Dog Lover's Soul, or maybe Canidae (although some dogs don't tolerate it so you'd have to try it and see how your dog does on it), Healthwise, Whole Earth Farms, or Premium Edge. You will only find these at specialty pet food stores. Good luck.

·
Banned
539 Posts
On another thread everyone was asked to give their 5 favorite kibbles and here are the results.

1. Orijen (a run away #1)
2. Evo/Innova Evo is the upgrade of Innova
3. Wellness/Wellness Core ,, Wellness Core is the better I believe
4. Blue Buffalo Wilderness
5. California Natural (Aren't they made by the Innova manufactures?)
6. Merrick
6. Solid Gold
7. Acana (I believe they make Orjiem)
8. Fromm
8. Natural Balance
9. Nature Varity
9. Taste of the Wild
10. Horizon Legacy
10. Honest Kitchen

I really believe Horizon is overlooked, it is really a top of the line Kibble.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts