Dog Food Chat banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all, I'm a newbie to THIS forum, am a long time Rottweiler owner [since 1980] and presently am the MOM in chief to the very BEST Rottie girl in history= my girl Zev and she's the former ruler of Zeus the Giant Schnauzer, who is my heart dog along with his boss Zev. Zev is presently 11 yrs young and while not her former athletic self, she's still game to chase a squirrel or cat; in her heyday, she was fast enough to catch and terminate both. Sadly, she's got severe OCD in her shoulders from years of punishing jumping off our 5 ft. tall deck to get those squirrels. The fact is, while her hips are good, her shoulders aren't and this really impacts her quality of life now. I've opted to forego any surgery at her age, it's highly invasive to the joint capsule and would take forever to heal assuming she made it thru anestesia safely. I keep her well dosed on Fish oil caps and a horse glucosamine/MSM supplement [ArthroSoothe Gold] and she manages to plug along. she's retired now from long hikes like in her past and this alone makes her sad. She's a former distance swimmer in our local reservoir, so retirement is not easy on her. she goes lame if we walk much.

Zeus is her faithful friend as well as mine, so he still goes on his hikes with Mom in our local woods - I'm rather physically disabled & lame myself so it's not easy to get out like I once did only 2 summer ago. Zeus is a confident outgoing male dog 6.75 yrs old, almost 7 now, who's been severely traumatized by being attacked without provocation/on leash at a couple parks -not dog parks - his breed is not a dog park dog - and now he's defensively terrified of any Pit, Boxer or Am Bulldog - his ear was pulled off by an American Bulldog allowed to run off lead in a local hiking park. Prior to that attack on him, he was completely socialized and social with other dogs, afterwards, he lost all trust in those dogs and now greets all dogs except Rottweilers with a real growl and yes, fear. I've worked hard in 4 yrs to train him to not become defensive but it's difficult to say the least and no local trainer is willing to attempt to fix his Pit Bull fear/hatred. When I say fear I mean he used to shake and quake, after a Pit chased him down and chewed him up between his front legs and chest. I have had to pepper spray 2 pits and 2 Am Bulldogs in the last 4 yrs and it's ruined my day. Why don't people who own dog aggressive dogs keep them leashed? No clue but pepper spray and a stun baton are helping me get over my own fear of some breeds. I do Rottie rescue privately and will help anyone qualified to own one get into the breed. ZEV is a rescue from idiots who bought her to show without realizing how much money it would cost and then they dumped her papers and all at a local kill shelter. I found her there in 2002. She's my beautiful girly and great friend. She's exceptionally calm, mellow and cool. :biggrin:

My adult son bought a 'show prospect' Boxer from a glorified puppy mill/show breeder in Texas and had nothing but lies and was ripped off to the tune of $1800 for a very sick puppy. The puppy has cost him more than $5k in vet bills and he was not sent his AKC registration so he really has no clue who whelped or sired his dog - he totally blew offf my advice to only rescue don't buy and now he has a sick dog on his hands he loves and he's too stressed out to sue the breeder who still is breeding and selling puppies. She's not shunned like she should be by fellow breeders despite her unethical breeding and puppy mill conditions on her 'farm'. It's amazing to me in a bad way how show breeders [Zeus Was a show pick pup too] will boldly lie to newbies and then go on lists online and pretend to be COE breeders. Sickening. :mad:

·
Registered
4,655 Posts
Welcome to the forum! Just a question, why stop the swimming for Zev? very thearapeutic!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts