Dog Food Chat banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi - my name is Brenda and I've been lurking around the forum for a few weeks; I feel I know most of you personally by now and have gathered a wealth of great information. I personally have never seen a more dedicated group of people showing such patience join together with one goal - to improve the life and health of our pets. It's amazing how much of your personal time you devote and how much knowledge you share. I, for one, am amazed and want to say thank you.

I have two Shih Tzu's, Dallas (7 yrs) and his daughter Disney (6 yrs). I'm not too knowledgeable on how to add pictures but will try to figure it out soon. For years I was feeding Science Diet ZD Ultra at the recommendation of my vet for Dallas' skin condition as he said it was probably a food allergy (red splotchy belly, severe itching and paw biting). He said there was a blood test he could do ($150) that may show what the specific allergy was but there was no guarantee. Since I wasn't able to spend $150 for something that may or may not tell me anything I decided to try the Z/D to see what happened. Over the years he didn't get any worse but not significantly better either. I fed Disney the same to keep it simple for me. It's amazing how we blindly follow the vet's advise on this - I had no idea they had no more nutritional training than they do.

Last year Disney had struvite kidney stones and had to have surgery. The vet called Hills to see if we needed to change her food and they said to keep her on the Z/D Ultra but to also add in the canned for the extra moisture. Imagine that!

A few weeks ago I looked at Dallas and his coat looked so bad - looks oily but feels brittle, not soft at all - so I thought there has to be something better and started to do a little research. For about a week I was cooking chicken and vegetables, adding in fish oil capsules and plain yogurt. Other than the occasional apple, carrot or banana they had never had anything but kibble so they really ate it up. Anyway, in my google search for new "recipes" to feed them I somehow stumbled across this site and haven't looked back.

I've been feeding raw for the last two weeks and it's gone really well. So far they've had drumsticks, some of which weigh a little more than they should be getting to maintain what I think their ideal weight should be at 15 pounds - they're not overly active so I'm holding it close to 2%. But I know to balance over time and I can adjust if they appear to gain weight. Disney is the piglet - she weighs about 20 pounds so needs to lose a little. I did give them a thigh on Wednesday and was awakened at 2AM yesterday by Dallas to go outside. It wasn't too bad, just a small loose stool. Maybe I should have taken the skin off since dark meet contains more fat? Other than that one loose stool the others have been firm so I'll probably start turkey next week.

Anyway, I just wanted to say hi and thank you all. I'm sure you'll hear more questions from me.

Brenda

·
Registered
3,085 Posts
Hi and welcome! Nice to have you here! :biggrin:
I am so glad that you found your way to raw from Hills! What a great step....I am sure you will see positive improvements in your dogs.
I hope you find this forum helpful to you and your dogs.

·
Registered
10,128 Posts
Hello and welcome Brenda! Thank *you* for the warm introduction and giving us some insight to the history of your little ones. You've definitely made the right decision with going raw. I'm sure even after two weeks that you've noticed the benefits already!

It sounds like you've gotten yourself started pretty well already. But to answer your question, it never hurts to take the fat and skin off to alleviate the loose stool before it gets worse. I would also try feeding chicken wings, since they have more bone content than drummies. You may also want to whack them with a kitchen mallet or hammer until the bones are completely crunched up for better digestion of them. The better the bones are digested the more firm the stools will be.

Don't hesitate to ask any and all other questions, and I hope you become one of our core members on here :wink:

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hello and welcome Brenda! Thank *you* for the warm introduction and giving us some insight to the history of your little ones. You've definitely made the right decision with going raw. I'm sure even after two weeks that you've noticed the benefits already!

It sounds like you've gotten yourself started pretty well already. But to answer your question, it never hurts to take the fat and skin off to alleviate the loose stool before it gets worse. I would also try feeding chicken wings, since they have more bone content than drummies. You may also want to whack them with a kitchen mallet or hammer until the bones are completely crunched up for better digestion of them. The better the bones are digested the more firm the stools will be.

Don't hesitate to ask any and all other questions, and I hope you become one of our core members on here :wink:
Thanks Natalie, and yes I've already seen the improvement. They seem more content, although my son has slipped them a Dorito and they happily accept. Disney's coat was good but seems to shine now. Dallas' will probably take a bit longer since his looked so bad. I'm also looking forward to the improvement in their teeth. Dallas' really needed a cleaning. He's the slow eater - runs to the fence to bark at the neighbor's dog and then comes back to eat a little more, sometimes 2 or 3 times. Disney's through with hers in about 10 minutes. I'll post back with improvements.

Thanks for the advice on the wings - I'll get some on my next trip to the store.

Brenda

·
Registered
2,965 Posts
Welcome. We live in NC but have been to both sides of your state a lot for hockey tournaments. Glad you found us here.

It will be interesting to see how your little ones improve. I have a 13 year old Lhasa Apso and it's amazing to see these little hairy 'lap dogs' loving the raw chicken!

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Welcome. We live in NC but have been to both sides of your state a lot for hockey tournaments. Glad you found us here.

It will be interesting to see how your little ones improve. I have a 13 year old Lhasa Apso and it's amazing to see these little hairy 'lap dogs' loving the raw chicken!
Yay - 13, that's wonderful. Thanks. I love NC. I haven't been for a while but I used to go to the apple festival in Hendersonville every year. Come to think of it it's this weekend - maybe we'll go this year.

I have a grandson who plays travel baseball so his games are all over as well. It can take up a few weekends can't it?

Thanks for the welcome and yes, it's amazing to see them loving the raw chicken.

Brenda

·
Registered
3 Posts
WOW! Another Simsonville newbie!
I just found this site today and am wanting to learn more about switching my 6 month old miniature poodle from kibble to raw. I am so torn about my choices!!! I am wanting to learn ALL that i can to avoid a bad reaction! I honest believe that raw is healthier!

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
WOW! Another Simsonville newbie!
I just found this site today and am wanting to learn more about switching my 6 month old miniature poodle from kibble to raw. I am so torn about my choices!!! I am wanting to learn ALL that i can to avoid a bad reaction! I honest believe that raw is healthier!
Hi and welcome! I responded to your pm but didn't know to tell it to save a copy so once sent I couldn't see a record of it. I hope you received it okay. I found this forum by accident while researching something else and it was like an AHA moment for me. I just read and read and read. It didn't take long to know this was where I belonged and my dogs are reaping the rewards. You won't regret the time spent on this forum and by removing the kibble from your dog's diet you will be making the best decision you can make for his overall being - their teeth are looking whiter, coats are looking better, they're happier, they rest better, are more content, even play a little more considering they are basically couch potatoes. The people here will seem like family before long. I haven't had a question for which I haven't been able to find an answer. But if you happen to have one just jump in - the atmosphere is great; someone will be along soon with an answer and an offer of hope for you.

Brenda

1 - 8 of 8 Posts