Dog Food Chat banner

Hi from Virginia!

1K views 9 replies 4 participants last post by  LabbieMama 
#1 ·
Have been owned by dogs for years, all of mine came either from an Animal Control office or were unwanted by their former owners. Have 2 German Shepherds, a Golden Retriever, Beagle (former 'hunting' dog, but terrified of gunfire, on the verge of being dumped somewhere), and a Beagle-pitt-you-name-it mix with short legs, lol...

My female GSD is now 8+, the vet is pretty sure she has insulinoma, but I haven't been able to afford the ultrasound yet. She is on a no-dry food diet, that varies every 4 hours (she has to eat 6 times a day to keep her blood sugar right, plus prednisone 2x a day) A/D, I/D, brown rice, cooked chicken, beef, or pork, her glucosamin-chrondroitin pills, and flaxseed oil - her pic is in the pictures section. She's a bit overweight (she's my canine soulmate, and I spoiled her a bit too much), so we are working on that too, but she is slowing down now with age and joint stiffness. This diet is not cheap, but if it keeps my girl going... the ultrasound will indicate if the surgery will be fairly easy or if it has spread throughout her body, if it is only a matter of time...

My other dogs are on commercial food and are doing well, but I am looking for something better for them without all the junk. Oddly enough, they all like the stems from collards that I chop up for my iguanas. One fell on the floor one day, the retriever couldn't get to it fast enough, and they all wanted some - go figure! No other kinds of greens, just collards...

If anyone has any experience with dog insulinoma, please reply!
Jane and the Furry 5

See less See more
#5 ·
Welcome! What part of Virginia are you from? I just spent a year living in Chesapeake with my son and my inlaws live on the opposite side of the state in Big Stone Gap so I've pretty much covered the entire state. We live in NC so we can pop back and forth over the border all the time.

G
#8 ·
I, too, am from Buffalo originally, until 1978 when I graduated high school and went off to washington, DC to college. At college I met my husband and moved to Connecticut. How I miss Buffalo. Last July I went back to Buffalo for the first time in many years to attend my 30th high school reunion. My father still has his house in Williamsville, NY (suburb of Buffalo) but now that he is 80 he spends most of his time in sunny Florida.

#9 ·
There are a lot of people from Buffalo living here. There is a big group of Buffalo Bills and Sabres fans that get together and watch the games at local sports bars. It seems a whole lot of people leave the area! There is a company in Buffalo that will ship you all the old goodies like the roast beef on kummelweck, hot dogs, and sausages so you don't even have to go back to eat well.
We grew up in Eden (farm town outside Buffalo) but most of our relatives still live in Williamsville and Cheektowaga. I don't know anyone who lives in the city itself anymore. My grandparents did when I was little and it was always a big deal to drive into the "big city" to visit them. It's funny how people from Buffalo keep popping up all over the place.

G
#10 ·
Alot of my high school classmates are still in Buffalo, actually, some of them never left. A few left for a few years to go to college but eventually returned. I don't think I would recognize Buffalo at all now. Back in the day, I loved the trips to Toronto we made on our boat during the summers --- crossing Lake Ontario to get to Toronto. That was fun.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.