Dog Food Chat banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
10,780 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
RawFedDogs directed me here and here I am...

my name is Re and i have two dogs...

Malia - female - corgi mix from a ditch in georgia - 10 years old

Bubba - male - black pug - from a crate in a garage in seattle - almost 3

we are trying very hard to get these dogs on raw, prey model....

i've read everything i can lay my hands on and for whatever reason, probably user error....they both got the squirts within the first week, so of course, as with any dog lover who humanises dogs, we immediately stopped, went to the vet who told us both dogs had IBS....and put them on medication.

Malia did test positive for giardia, so we believed that we started raw too soon....although that does not explain bubba, even though he was medicated too, with pannacur....

at the moment, they are both on a cooked diet....we've taken them off kibble completely...

they are doing okay but not great....calcium is in the form of ground egg shells....and they are getting a probiotic to help put back some of the bacteria lost through three rounds of antibiotics.

since i think i'm the one who messed them up and gave them the squirts....we'd like to do it right this time..

i wrote to RawFedDogs and he graciously wrote back and here i am..

So.

Hello from Seattle where the weather is crappy and we do get fresh pacific salmon....and, yes, i know that my dogs can't have it....:)

·
Registered
4,655 Posts
Hello Re, Welcome to the forum, you've come to the right place to learn about raw feeding.:biggrin:
Don't worry about messing up, I think we all did in the beginning.:rolleyes: I've been raw feeding now for over a year and my dogs are doing great. By the way I'm just north of you in Bellingham.
Robin

·
Registered
10,128 Posts
Hello and welcome! Glad you have come here for some help and support...there are a lot of experienced and well informed raw feeders here :biggrin:

·
Registered
1,885 Posts
Hi and welcome! This site has a wealth of info on raw. And RFD is a big part of it! I'm glad you're still considering switching.

I'm just south of you in Bonney Lake. :smile: And the weather sucks here too! Ah, western Washington! :frown::smile:

Richelle

·
Registered
2,359 Posts
welcome to the forum! I am not a raw feeder~ but you will get tons of info from the people who feed raw on here! Have fun here!:smile:

·
Registered
1,885 Posts
Hello from Seattle where the weather is crappy and we do get fresh pacific salmon....and, yes, i know that my dogs can't have it....:)
Oh! And I meant to say that dogs CAN have pacific NW salmon. It just needs to be frozen for at least a month to kill the parasite that I think you are refering to.

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
Wow, so many people from our little corner of the US!
I think we pretty much have I-5 covered from border to border!
Whiteleo's in Bellingham
Magicre is Seattle
Ania' Mommy Bonney Lake
and we are in Vancouver!

Welcome. I'm sure you'll find all the answers your looking for!

·
Registered
10,780 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
awesome....we go down to vancouver a few times a year to shop at the outlets...:)

honey goes to portland for work sometimes....sometimes i go with him....

i feel right at home LOL

·
Registered
148 Posts
Welcome to the forum Re. I am new to the forum as well and have been raw feeding for almost 4 weeks. GREAT help and info is available on this forum! You are all making me home sick. I lived in Gig Harbor and University Place for 12 years. I still miss it!! Weather is bad here too (NE OHIO) but at least you guys don't have to shovel the rain! lol.

·
Registered
10,780 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
do my fellow washingtonians have a co op they belong to?

i was kind of surprised to see so many pacific northwesters posting about raw....i probably shouldn't have been, considering all the dogs i see here.....

thanks for the welcome...i have to see why i'm not getting notifications.....off to my settings i go :)

·
Registered
4,655 Posts
WAzzuOR_BARF : Washington/Oregon BARF God, I did it twice , I can't believe it. This is the co-op I belong to, they have a great beef database that someone has a contact for, grass fed beef chunks, really nice meat starting at 1.30 lb-1.60lb
. They have a database for plymouth poultry in seattle where you can get a gynormous amount of stuff including goat. It's a great co-op for the area and they put up specials for different stores when people notice them. Good Luck

·
Registered
10,780 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
WAzzuOR_BARF : Washington/Oregon BARF God, I did it twice , I can't believe it. This is the co-op I belong to, they have a great beef database that someone has a contact for, grass fed beef chunks, really nice meat starting at 1.30 lb-1.60lb
. They have a database for plymouth poultry in seattle where you can get a gynormous amount of stuff including goat. It's a great co-op for the area and they put up specials for different stores when people notice them. Good Luck
great minds must think alike....or yours does and i read it LOL...because i just joined the group..

since i'm starting again with RFD's kind and generous help, i won't be ready for a bit....got to get these two past the hump, so i'm following his advice...

but once we are past, then i'll be getting another freezer and we'll be joining in....

:)

·
Registered
4,655 Posts
Well, you can get cases of chicken backs and quarters, the basics that you need to start from plymouth poultry.

·
Registered
1,885 Posts
I'm having trouble finding WAzzuOR_BARF..... I fully realize that this is operator error, as magicre found it with no problem. But I'm not as Google-savvy as I thought, apparently. HELP!

Thanks!
Richelle

·
Registered
4,655 Posts
You first need to go to Yahoo, then do the WazzuOR Barf Hope this helps out.

·
Registered
4,655 Posts
See, I'm still not totally good at this new thing either! Computers! ugh.....................

1 - 20 of 22 Posts