Dog Food Chat banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I really need info on ORIJEN and ACANA dog food.
My kids seem to thrive on it but their poops are
pasty:confused:Too much protein, maybe? They
are 4 months, 15 months and 2 years. Please give
me some insight. Even if your kids are not Borders
I'd appreciate feedback.

·
Registered
523 Posts
Welcome to the community! I have not used Origen or Acana but I have used Innova Evo and Wellness Core w/my dogs. As it turns out they were too high protein for my dogs and their poops ran from soft to diarrhea. I am now feeding them Ultra Natural Balance and their poops have returned to normal. All I have to say is to make sure whatever you are feeding your dogs, make sure that the puppy gets puppy food because as they grow they need different things for them to be a healthy dog.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Cut down on how much you're feeding them. That seems to be the biggest problem people have with the Orijen and Acana foods is their dogs are overeating. Try cutting the volume of the meals down. Are you mixing both the Acana and Orijen? If so i'd suggest just feeding one or the other for a couple months, it takes the body that long to adjust. Puppy food is just a marketing ploy, it's not significantly different than regular adult food. I'd use Acana Provincials if i were you because they're all life stages and it saves you time and frustration because you only have to feed one thing to all 3 dogs.

·
Registered
3,550 Posts
My roommate had the longest time getting her dog's stools firmed up until she fed him Orijen, so *shrug* I guess every dog is different. He's since been switched to Acana for financial purposes, but she says he's still nice and firm on it. I'd say cut down on the amount you feed too and see if that helps.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Welcome! I own a Border Collie Mini Aussie cross, I've been feeding Chicken Soup for the Dog Lover's Soul, and Purina mixed . I'm fixin' to cut out the Purina, and just go with CS "cuz I think my Golden Retriever is allergic to the Purina. Otherwise everything is good.

·
Registered
2,359 Posts
Hi and welcome. I have 4 dogs no border collies though! Any sheep herding? I know they love this! agility also! I right now have merrick BG before grain and EVo and wellness. I am thinking the protien levels in the evo and merrick may be a buit high for my dogs, they are pretty gassey but working on this seeing oif they adapt better. Still a bit chilly to be opening the windows haha! So I don't know about the orijen or acana! I like going here for dog food reviews

Dog Food Reviews - 6 Star Premium Dry Food - Powered by ReviewPost

and I subscribe to the whole dog journal which I like some of the reviews on this, but its not my dog bible but its good for alot of things!
Then I like to go to the web sight and ask for coupons or a free sample and toy with the idea whether to actually get it or not! Good Luck on the never ending serch for the quest for food. At least for me it is the never ending quest haha! Have fun here!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts