Dog Food Chat banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need some non-biased advise.

I need a good quality dog food for my 8 month collie x puppy (medium large). I'm hoping to put her on something decently nutritious, but not time consuming to prepare or hugely costly. Nika is an outdoor dog (Canada, remember) with a thick rug for a coat. She is hot right now since its summer, but winter is 4 months away.

She is a rescue dog. I've had her for 4 months. She loves to go into water (river or ponds) during walks, and she recently got enteritis (vet's diagnosis) - loss of appetite, diarrhea and some vomiting. She's better now, mostly normal poo, just occasional unformed poo. Vet told me that Origen large breed puppy kibble is too rich (too high protein) for her. Vet put her on vet gastro-enteric food, which must have worked -- but its really expensive.

I will buy one more bag of the vet food, then I want to graduate her to another kibble. What percentage of protein, fat, etc. or recommend a good brand of dog food.

·
Registered
10,128 Posts
Hello and welcome! I hope you find what you are looking for here, but I will suggest feeding Orijen or EVO. The food the vet gave you worked because it is FULL of fiber that bulks up stool but isn't a good food to stay on for long term health.

·
Registered
4,419 Posts
I'm betting that the vet just happens to sell the dog food he recommended. Protein does not caluse enteritis. It is a bacterial or virus problem. Prescription food is usually pretty much garbage with little or no nutiritional value but still very expensive.

I don't feed kibble but if I did I would feed only EVO or Orijen. Both are pretty high protein foods. Protein is the building block of muscles.

·
Registered
3,085 Posts
Hi and welcome! Nice to have you here. :smile:

I will also suggest Orijen as it's a wonderful kibble.

I hope you find a food that works for you and your dog.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi, we are from Canada too. What did you end up giving your puppy? Did you ever try Acana? Our puppy is a 15 weeksold Mioritic Sheppard, and when he came to Canada (6 weeks ago) he was on Acana, but he had diareea all the time. We thought it was from the long trip and all the climate change, but at one point, after 3 weeks he lost the apetite and had vomiting a bit and lots of hiccups, then he didn't want to eat Acana anymore (he would rather have plain rice than Acana). We tried then some samples of Taste of the Wild (bison formula) and since he liked it a lot, we switched, but then the Vet recommended puppy large breed food, and TOTW is for all life stages. He doesn't have diareea anymore, but still hiccups and sometimes bloated....I want to switch back to Acana, (because the rates are so good and also for the puppy Acana is better choice than Orijen) or some other puppy food, but I don't know what to try.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts