Dog Food Chat banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Everyone! We have an 11 month old Amstaff that has been on a raw diet for about a month or so. We have had to take a slight step backwards to start an elimination diet this week with a suspected protein allergy. It looks like chicken is the culprit! I am looking forward to learning more from you all :)

·
Registered
1,885 Posts
Hi and welcome! It's been nice seeing all these new members lately.

It's also nice to have another raw feeder aboard. This website should be a great resource for you. :wink:

What led you to the determination that your dog has a chicken allergy?

Can't wait to see some pictures!

Richelle

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well we have been through all the allergy testing and have been treating her for the past 6 months for atopic dermatitis. Her allergy symptoms, however, started changing and her symptoms we aligning more with food allergy symptoms and less with environmental allergies. About this time we started her on a raw diet that was mostly comprised of chicken and she got worse. I decided it was time to do a true elimination diet and rule out food allergies once and for all. So we limited her to one protein (pork) and one carb (sweet potatoes), and after only a few days she seems to be clearing up pretty significantly. Not to mention chicken is the only other thing I can think of that has ALWAYS been in her diet. Of course I will finish the elimination diet and re-challange her with chicken, and then we will know for sure! :)

·
Registered
1,885 Posts
What are some of the other symptoms your dog has aside from the dermatitis?

You said that you began feeding raw only one month ago. It is not uncommon for dogs to go through a detox period while ridding their bodies of kibble. So the symptoms could be from the detoxification process.

I'm also thinking that one month is very soon to begin considering an elimination diet. It takes some time for the body to re-teach itself how to deal with what it was made for digesting.

Also, have you considered that the carbs are the culprit? There are very little cases of dogs being allergic to a certain kind of meat, but a very large number of cases where they are allergic to a carb source. Carbs are just not necessary for dogs. All they need are meat, bones, and organs.

What's your dog's name? :)

·
Registered
10,780 Posts
hi and welcome....pictures would be awesome :)

without doing any testing, i thought my malia was allergic or had a sensitivity to chicken...

once i started home cooking and then transitioning her to raw, the sensitivity stopped...

she is going through a detox now and we've been on raw for four weeks also....both dogs had a bit of a rough patch with raw and are just now stabilising so we're a little slow in introducing new proteins....

we have stopped all starches (yams, pumpkin) and fruits and veggies....and they are no longer itchy except for that morning stretch itch that even humans do...:)

i always wondered why kibble with chicken had the effect it did while my chicken, cooked or raw, did not...and i believe it's in the processing that does it..

plus, they don't need all that filler that i think they need....just a salmon oil cap that they think is a treat ( don't tell them)...and raw chicken and turkey. can't wait to add other proteins....

just one question, though --- when you were testing for allergies....is there a chicken allergy test? i've never had my dogs tested.....

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Her name is Morgan. You're right she probably doesn't need the carbs at all. The only reason I did them is because that is typically what you do on an elimination diet. We have been going through treating her for allergies since she was 10 weeks. I was told over and over puppies don't get allergies..but that is exactly what she has. I know that protein allergies are uncommon but then again so are 10 week old puppies with allergies to over 10-15 different things :) I do understand the detox stage however eliminating everything she eats except for one protein and one carb has produced such significant results I have to think its a food allergy of some kind. If after a month or so I introduce chicken back in and she has the same symptoms then I will have a definite answer. I have been suspecting food for awhile (not just a month) I just have never sucked it up and done a full elimination diet. I figured a raw diet would be the easiest way to do it while I am at it :) Below are some pics of our girl!

L

·
0 Posts
Welcome! What a cute Morgan you've got there. (My 15 year old son is named Morgan by the way.)

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
Welcome!! I'm sure you will get TONS of info here!
Love the pics!

·
Registered
4,419 Posts
You're right she probably doesn't need the carbs at all.
She has absolutely no need for carbs at all. Like others I suspect carbs are the problem IF she has a food alergy. I'm not sure she does.

The only reason I did them is because that is typically what you do on an elimination diet.
That may be proper for a human elimination diet but not a dog. To do a proper elimination diet for a dog, you feed nothing but one protein source. In your case, you would feed pork and pork only. Nothing would go in the dog's mouth, including treats, that didn't come from the body of a pig. Do this for 2 months. The problem will either go away or it won't. If it goes away, gradually add stuff to the diet until it reappears. If it didn't go away, for the next 2 months feed anything you wish except pork. You will feed your dog nothing that came from the body of a pig for 2 months. If after these 4 months, the problem is still there, your dog does not have a food allergy. If he does have a food allergy, you will know which food.

I figured a raw diet would be the easiest way to do it while I am at it :)
You are absolutely correct. I you are going to do an elimination test, a raw diet makes it MUCH easier. :smile:

Good luck and keep us posted.

·
Registered
1,885 Posts
That may be proper for a human elimination diet but not a dog. To do a proper elimination diet for a dog, you feed nothing but one protein source. In your case, you would feed pork and pork only. Nothing would go in the dog's mouth, including treats, that didn't come from the body of a pig. Do this for 2 months. The problem will either go away or it won't. If it goes away, gradually add stuff to the diet until it reappears. If it didn't go away, for the next 2 months feed anything you wish except pork. You will feed your dog nothing that came from the body of a pig for 2 months. If after these 4 months, the problem is still there, your dog does not have a food allergy. If he does have a food allergy, you will know which food.
Did you mean chicken?

·
Registered
2,359 Posts
Cute pup! Welcome to the forum! Though I am not a raw feeder, you will learn tons here! Have fun!:smile:

·
Registered
1,885 Posts
What a cutie! Thanks for sharing. I'm still crap at identifing breeds, so what kind is she?

ETA: Nevermind, I see you already told us in your OP.:biggrin:

·
Registered
126 Posts
Welcome to the group. I am also new to feeding raw and am at about a month. I have a Dane who is now 11 months old. He had puppy acne and hot spots. His acne is almost gone, the hot spots are gone and his hair is growing back. I am thrilled and he loves eating! Good luck with Morgan, this site helped me a lot.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts