Dog Food Chat banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My name is John and my wife and I are the owner of a 2 year old Griffonshire (Brussels Griffon/Yorkie Mix). Her name is Macchiato, Macchi for short, and she is the love of my life lol!

I came across this site a few days ago when researching Science Diet when my vet asked me to switch to that food after my poor pup ate to much of a plant that caused her to have gastritis. All I can say is "Wow, what have I been feeding my dog."

From my very first post in the Dry and Canned Dog Food section of this forum I received a lot of helpful information from a lot of members on this site which has already helped me. Unlike a lot of other forums where you would get "flamed" for asking questions that I am sure have been asked hundreds of times on this forum, everyone here has been great and that is probably because we all love our animals so much.

Anyway, Macchiato, yes she is named after my favorite coffee drink, was purchased from a breeder who didn't mean to have her Brussels Griffon and Yorkie get together, but thank god they did! At first I didn’t want a small dog as I have always grown up with large breeds around me, however from the very first second I looked into this dogs eyes I was immediately wrapped around her paw.

Macchi has a great personality and is very playful and loving dog. She is also surprisingly very protective of my wife and I which I never really thought a small dog would be. I always imagined them hiding between the owners legs but one night we were walking and a coyote ran out into the road about 50 feet in front of us and Macchi was pretty pissed off and wouldn’t let me move in front of her.

Best thing about having her is walking her. I am very tall 6’5” and everyone always gives me a funny look when I’m walking my 10 pound dog down the road in her pink collar and pink harness :p.

Anyway plans are to get her off of the crappy Hills Prescription I/D canned food, and the Beneful she was eating before she got sick, and on to something much better for her. So far it looks like I will be feeding her Orijen Adult Dry food along with some other high quality canned food that I have not yet determined. I was planning on Innova Adult Dry Dog Food - Small Bites but the few places I have called around my area do not carry it.

Thanks For All The Help!

And now for some pictures

·
Registered
10,128 Posts
She is super cute! Thanks for posting up some pictures of her. And I am glad that we could all be of help for you, that is exactly why we are here.

Side note: Remember to transition her slow with the beneful or the Hills i/d. For the first few days only add in a few kernels of the Orijen to the previous food. Then add in a few more the next day, so on and so forth. It should take a week or two until she is completely switched over to the Orijen. You might still see some loose stool from her, but that is to be expected but you shouldn't think much of it. Diarrhea isn't obviously ideal, but it certainly isn't something to get distressed about. Just make sure she is drinking enough water and is still plenty active.

Orijen is a MUCH richer food than Beneful or Hills, so you will want to feed her about half of what she is normally eating in amount, at least for the first few days of her eating nothing but Orijen. Then find a good amount that she maintains well on. Its easy for dogs to gain weight on the higher quality foods because they utilize more of the food that they eat. Not to mention feeding a dog too much of a premium food is probably close to the number one reason why people state "my dog couldn't handle such a rich food." If they would have just fed less of it they most likely wouldn't have had an issue.

Keep us updated on her progress with the switch!

·
Registered
1,885 Posts
Aw! She has such a sweet little face!

Welcome to the forum. Thanks for the pics!

·
Registered
2,359 Posts
Hi and welcome to the forum! I love the description of you and that cute pup walking down the street haha! Just sounds too funny! My one son is 6'3" and my other is almost 6 ft. now, so with your height I know what its like to always be looking up!!! Oh I', 5'3&1/2 LOL so 4 of my kids are taller than me and one is my height haha!
Your dog is adorable!:smile:

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
Welcome! Super cute pictures.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts