Dog Food Chat banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi everyone from myself and my 3 Canine kids!

I just joined this forum in my quest to learn more about raw feeding and find where I can buy raw meats at reasonable prices.

If anyone knows of a place with in an hour or so of Fremont, CA or a company where I can order raw/frozen meats to have it shipped to me that would be great!!!!

I tried a couple Co-ops in my area only to find their mark ups made their prices the same or even higher than if I shopped at certain local grocery stores :confused: .

I rescued my dogs--two from shelters, and one literally from the middle of the street. I have a 80 pound Rott/Bull terrier/weimaraner mix, a 16 pound Rat Terrier/Pug mix, and a 19 pound Chiauahua/Min Pin/dacshund/yellow lab mix. They are my "kids" and best friends and we spend all day everyday together. They love to hike, run, fetch, swim, and most of all cuddle with us.

Anyway, thanks! and talk to you soon!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi again,

I haven't had much luck finding any meat wholesalers in my area but I heard about Harvest Meats (1.5 hours away) last week and you had mentioned them to me in the private message.

I am hoping I can find a wholesaler with in a half hours drive otherwise I will just be feeding raw chicken parts and some fish and occasional pork for dinners and probably 1/4th of their total rations will be a high quality kibble fed in the morning. I just wish I could find some more variety for under 1.00 per pound other than chicken. I even considered breeding rabbits but I bet that would be a lot of work, time, space, and other possible problems like rodents and other predators coming on my property. I actually heard that you could feed rats meat and squirrel! I wonder if anyone has tried that and how you know the meat is safe. Hey there's a new thread idea!

Thanks and talk to ya later!

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
Hello and welcome to DFC! Can't wait to see pictures!
It can be hard to find places in some spots. I know I have to drive 2 hours for half and my friends and I split the trip to the place that is 4 hours away and we buy bulk for 2-3 month to help make it worth it.

·
Registered
357 Posts
OMG!! your not kidding about the mark ups. Effing crazy how do they get away with that???
(Freemont co op) Chicken -Rocky Jr. Necks - 40 lb case $70.00 I get my 40lb box at the atlanta farmers market for 17$

Is this what I have to look forward to moving to sac?? If so I wont be feeding raw any more and that will break my heart.

DogAware.com: Raw Dog Food Co-ops and Local Groups

California
SoCal BARF Co-Op Probably the largest co-op around, covers most of Southern California, including San Diego, with distribution points in Fresno and Sacramento as well.
Fremont & Bay Area Raw Feeders Co-Op Located in Fremont (San Francisco Bay Area). Not so well organized and mark-ups are added to the prices, but does have access to a number of hard to find items. Pick ups now available in Menlo Park, Newark, Livermore, and the Central Valley (Tracy, Stockton, Sacramento).
San Francisco Raw Feeders Co-op San Francisco facility open to the public six days a month. Member-hosted pick-ups in Berkeley, Corte Madera, Fairfax, Mendocino, Oakland (two locations), Pacifica, Redwood City, San Francisco (three locations), San Jose, San Rafael and Sebastopol. All orders delivered in a refrigerated truck, twice a month on the 1st and 3rd Saturdays.
Capital City Raw Feeders Co-op Centered in Sacramento.
OCBARFCo-Op in Orange County.
Foothill Raw Feeders in Placer County, Northern California. Also covers Nevada County, El Dorado County and northern Sacramento County. See Foothill Raw Feeders web site for more info.
SFBABravo (San Francisco Bay Area Bravo Raw Diet) Bravo buyers group with distribution points in South San Francisco and the Los Altos Hills. See peninsulapups.com for more information.
BARF Suppliers in CA This group is owned by a supplier, Simon Caleb of Creston Valley Meats. He doesn't always allow other suppliers to post, and pushes them to promote his business.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts