Dog Food Chat banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
441 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Have any of you tried the Blue Buffalo 'Before Grain' food yet? I thought that I saw someone said they were going to try, but I don't remember who it was and I need to buy a new bag of food for the boys... Not Owen! :) The BB BG is $45 in comparison to the Orijen @ $65 and the Wellness Core @ $60 a bag. I know that most thought that it was a good food, but has anyone tried it?
I am buying a bag today and I will report what happens. Thanks! ;)

Sorry, that would be the Merrick BG, not Blue Buffalo. :)

·
Registered
3,550 Posts
Are you referring to the Merrick Before Grain or the Blue Buffalo Wilderness? I like the BB Wilderness a little more than the Merrick BG but they're both fine. I've used the BB Wilderness and my dogs loved it and did well on it, but it wasn't raw, that's for darn sure! And I haven't tried the Merrick BG aside from their canned tripe, which my pups love.

·
Registered
441 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Are you referring to the Merrick Before Grain or the Blue Buffalo Wilderness? I like the BB Wilderness a little more than the Merrick BG but they're both fine. I've used the BB Wilderness and my dogs loved it and did well on it, but it wasn't raw, that's for darn sure! And I haven't tried the Merrick BG aside from their canned tripe, which my pups love.
Sorry, I was refering to the Merrick. I had a senior moment! :biggrin:
I do like the BB Wilderness really well, I was just wanting to try the BG. I wan't able to get a bag today because they were all out when I went, small store, not a lot of space to put tons of bags in a 'storage area'. I don't blame them. :) They said that they should have it in either Tuesday or Friday. So I got a small bag of EVO red meat to try for him.
I am well aware that it isn't raw, as I am loving Owen being on raw, but Titus isn't my dog and it isn't my decision to feed kibble. I just make sure that it is good kibble and is grain free. Titus was weaned from his mom onto the BB Wilderness, both canned and kibble as he got old enough. I might just go back to that if this BG Buffalo doesn't come in.
Thanks rannmiller! :)

·
Registered
2,359 Posts
I bought a bag a while back of the Merrick BG Buffalo. My one dog I wanted somehting a little less fat so the mom & pop store I went to suggested trying this. The protien level is 32% which was fine and 15% fat which was ok.
Being grain free food I liked that idea. I guess some people are not thrilled with the canola oil but that was fine with me.
as for how it affected the dogs it was one I thought my one lab would not carefor seeing she has never had buffalo, but it has turkey and chicken and she loved it but then again, being a lab of course shes an eater haha!
But no ill effects at all, meaning poop was fine no runs and taste wise she liked so all was good!
Can I ask since I have been unable to get the red meat bites yet if the dog liked this? I just got the weight management EVO so this is one I want to try also!

·
Registered
441 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I will let you know how it goes in the next few days, wags. So far, they seem to be pretty close in ingredients. Not exact, but close. I liked the list on the BG more then the one on the EVO, but being that they were so close, I felt that it shouldn't be that big of a difference. I do have the 'large bites' of the EVO since none of my dogs are 'small bite' kind of dogs! :) I have a mastiff mix, and 2 male EBTs. I just fed Titus the EVO tonight, so in the morning I should know something and then in the next few days, I will know more of how he does. I do know that he has been scratching at his tail and hind quarters a lot lately. I am just not sure if it is because of food, or if the bugs and weather are getting to him. It has, by no means, been dry around here. :)

·
Registered
2,359 Posts
I rotate my foods pretty often, maybe more than I should but the dogs are having no problem on most of them not all! I got the EVO weight management and I am noticing with transition that my one lab is getting a little wet feces so I am keeping an eye on her, but the other lab, no problem at all! Also with the one lab though I started her now on recovery sa (shes showing signs of her back legs having a bit of movement trouble when getting up at night) so now I have the dilemma if its the meds or the food!
I wiant to try the red meat so anything that is good or bads always helpful! Thanks!:smile:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts