Dog Food Chat banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
441 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, Owen went to the vet yesterday for a regular check-up to see how he is doing and get bloodwork done. (no specific reason for the bloodwork, just curious :rolleyes: ) However, what the blood work came back with was as follows:
BUN= 6
Creat=0.3
Cal=11.1
ALB=2.7
ALP=112
ALT=21
AMY=268
TBIL=0.3
NA+=142, K+=3.7
TP=6.2
GLOB=3.6
*Glucose=292, No sugar in his urin
*Phos=7.7 (red blood cell hemolysis)
*Small amount of blood in urin (RBC=0-3/field. WBC=0-1/field)
*Amorphous crystals found in urin
*Urin PH=6

So, basically, the vet wanted to put him on a SD kibble that targets the phosphorus in his blood and urin, but I said no to that. She then went and found a powder that works as a phosphorus binder (ie. expensive). She told me that we could wait a week or two and re-ceck everything to see how it looks and go from there.
I did start looking things up today and found out that canned salmon has about 550mg of phosphorus per serving and that is what they had for dinner the night before (around 7pm). But, on top of the high glucose and the high phopphorus, he also has a UTI.

OK! Here is my question, does anyone know what I could do to help his UTI and the phosphorus thing without antibiotics?? Also, does anyone know what kinds of meats hold the least amounts of phosphorus? I would like to try to mot have a repeat of yesterdays vet visit so any kind of info or encouragement would be awesome! :wink:
Thanks!

·
Registered
151 Posts
I know for humans, 100% cranberry juice can clear up UTI's. I just looked back onto an email from a coop group I am a part of and found this:

"Bladder/urinary tract infections: My sister is a nutritionist and holistic
health practitioner, so I tend to use natural approaches as much as possible for problems like this in me and my animals. She told me about cranberry years ago and it works well for both me and my cats (never needed it for my dogs yet). But for bad cases it's not just any cranberry, it's Solaray brand's Super
CranActin. "Bad cases" means when there is kidney involvement - and that's why the Super CranActin, as Super CranActin has herbs in it to address the kidneys as well as the rest of the urinary tract. I'm pretty sure it comes in liquidform, although I use the capsules or a portion thereof (for cats) 2-3 times per day until better (and with a bad case, I add some Echinacea once or twice a day to boost the immune system), then continue once a day for a few weeks as maintenance. I also just discovered another excellent natural aid called D-Mannose. Both cranberry and D-Mannose work by making things slick so the bacteria can't hang on and thus get washed out of the system. Here's a site on the D-Mannose, as it's available only on-line as far as I know (it's a sugar relative, but not digested by the system, just passed through, and even more effective than cranberry)"
D-Mannose Treats Chronic UTI Urinary Tract Infection, Bladder Infection & Interstitial Cystitis.

The high phosphorus levels could be from the canned salmon. I would feed as little of the canned meat as you can...

hope this helps! Did you fast your dog the morning before doing bloodwork?

·
Registered
441 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes, I fasted him. He didn't have food since dinner the night before.
I know that cranberry juice is good for humans, but I don't think Owen will be as keen on that. :)
I will look into the D-Mannose and see if that is anything I can get ahold of! :)
Thanks!

·
Registered
151 Posts
I am pretty sure you can get cranberry tablets or capsules at health food/vitamin places. I think it would do the same thing?

·
Registered
10,128 Posts
How did they collect the urine sample? Free catch or by needle? If they did a free catch and found urine it could definitely be a UTI. If they used a needle there is a chance they struck a small blood vessel which would create a false positive for a UTI.

The phospherous level I wouldn't worry too much about, considering his meal the night before. If anything I would recheck bloodwork on him in 2-3 months and see of it's still high. If it is, then I would look into what might be causing it. Bloodwork can be very informative but you have to remember that blood chemistries like phospherous can vary and be dependent on particular circumstances like a meal the night before. That is why it's important to recheck blood work a few months away from the original draw.

Have you taken Owen swimming or out and about anywhere lately?

·
Registered
5,009 Posts
FOR UTI's and general urinary health issues, I've recommended NaturVet Cranberry Relief to some of my customers, and they've all had positive results with it. One customer even swore it cleared a vaginal yeast infection in his golden puppy, but I don't know about that. lol. Anyway, I think it comes in free power form, or tablets, and it relatively inexpensive.

·
Registered
441 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
How did they collect the urine sample? Free catch or by needle? If they did a free catch and found urine it could definitely be a UTI. If they used a needle there is a chance they struck a small blood vessel which would create a false positive for a UTI.
They did a free catch, no needles... I think Owen would have peed himself anyway if he had to have anymore needles that day! :rolleyes:

FOR UTI's and general urinary health issues, I've recommended NaturVet Cranberry Relief to some of my customers, and they've all had positive results with it. One customer even swore it cleared a vaginal yeast infection in his golden puppy, but I don't know about that. lol. Anyway, I think it comes in free power form, or tablets, and it relatively inexpensive.
I went and got some cranberry capsuls from the store last night, I will see how that does for him in the next 2 weeks... then he goes back in for a re-check on things anyway... If nothing changes, then he will have to be started on antibiotics.

The phospherous level I wouldn't worry too much about, considering his meal the night before. If anything I would recheck bloodwork on him in 2-3 months and see of it's still high. If it is, then I would look into what might be causing it. Bloodwork can be very informative but you have to remember that blood chemistries like phospherous can vary and be dependent on particular circumstances like a meal the night before. That is why it's important to recheck blood work a few months away from the original draw.
After reading up on the Phospherous yesterday, I am also thinking that it was just his food. He seems fine otherwise.. Just the UTI thing I guess. :) When I go back in in two weeks, I will NOT be feeding any Salmon! :biggrin: Then we can see where it goes from there.

Have you taken Owen swimming or out and about anywhere lately?

No, Owen hasn't been anywere, just around the house/2 acres they now have to run and play on. He did go out with me to do errands once, but he stayed in the car the whole time.

·
Registered
4,655 Posts
I hope Owen is feeling better soon! There's nothing worse than feeling like you have to pee all the time:biggrin:

·
Registered
441 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
I hope Owen is feeling better soon! There's nothing worse than feeling like you have to pee all the time:biggrin:
Hahahahaha!! Thanks!! I don't think that he is feeling that... but then again I don't think he would tell me if he is!! He is an EBT you know! :tongue: I have also been putting water into his food bowl with his food before I leave for work, just to be sure that he is getting enough water while I am away. I don't have an AC, so it gets kinda warm inside around mid day, but they each have a fan that keeps air moving and they don't get overheated. Thats something else that was bothering me... that the house was getting stuffy and warm while I wasn't there, but its way better now... at least in their rooms! :wink:

Oh, so Titus has been neutered!! (woohoo!!!) He was done on a pitt neuter fund by the Atlanta Humane Society. I found out that he only weighs 70lbs... I always thought he was closer to 90! Owen is 53lbs. :)
Now, to get Owen neutered will cost me around $300 because he is cryptorkid (sp??)! :eek: Working on a way to pull that one off! :) Hope to get that done soon and then try once again to get Owen and Titus to get along and work together instead of against each other.
How crazy is it that each of my dogs gets their own room with a fan, water, food, windows... whatever they want. I get to sleep on an airmattress and get windows to cool me off at night! But don't even think about telling them that they are spoiled... they won't believe you for a second... They BOTH think that they live a hard life!! Hahaha!

·
Registered
4,655 Posts
Too funny, having 3 has been a handful let me tell you! The girls gang up on the boy, but he usually deserves it. Kenzie is now 48 lbs, she's gained 11lbs since I've had her, she is a sweet girl who demands attenetion by barking, barking, barking.... She is getting better slowly but surely realizing that we are always here to love her.

I hope all is going well for you, it sounds like you have your hands full too!

·
Registered
441 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Too funny, having 3 has been a handful let me tell you! The girls gang up on the boy, but he usually deserves it. Kenzie is now 48 lbs, she's gained 11lbs since I've had her, she is a sweet girl who demands attenetion by barking, barking, barking.... She is getting better slowly but surely realizing that we are always here to love her.

I hope all is going well for you, it sounds like you have your hands full too!
OMG, almost too full! :) I have a female foster from AHS (mixed mutts) that has 4 male puppies and they are keeping me busy. Between them and my boys and work and keeping up on the house... I don't get a lot of 'me' time. But I don't think I would have it any other way. :)
I totally wish I could get another EBT, but it is totally out of the question until I can get the boys back together. Until then, why add more drama to the drama show! :rolleyes:
I must say though, that I love the way that Owen can read my mind and knows how things work, but with Titus, I feel like I am always having to work with him on something. He went after a neighbors dog the other day, he treid to go after the people that ride by the house on bicycles, he doesn't like strangers in the house, he doesn't like to leave the house. His favorite activities include, eating anything he can't have, getting into things that aren't his, and snuggeling with me on the couch. I love it when he snuggles, he is sooooo cute. But for some reason he doesn't like to play fetch, catch or anything that uses energy in a good way. I have even tried using treats and lots of praise when we 'play' but all that does is get him to bring the toy (at a slow walk) and lay down and wait for the treat... then he eats the toy. If I throw it again, he just looks at me as if to say 'You go get it, you threw it!' then lays back down... or goes and eats grass!! :confused: He has no interest in anything but scaring everyone and everything away from my house!! :frown: I am running out of ideas of things to do with him.

·
Registered
10,780 Posts
i hope he feels better soon....we used to live in lizella, GA...and i don't know what we would have done without air conditioning.....

we had four shih tzus and they are smashed face dogs...so they need it..

i read somewhere....on a pug forum...that if you don't have A/C, don't get a pug.....the apartment where we live now....having sold our house with central air...is not air conditioned...but every room has one, so i think we'll be okay.

is it possible he is getting overheated? maybe get a window unit for the room he's left in when you're not there?

·
Registered
441 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
It hasn't gotten above 70 in that room since I put the fan in. That first day it was hot, I walked into the house and right away knew that it was only going to get worse as the summer goes on, so I will be getting an AC at some point, but so far the fan is working. I need to CL for one. :)

·
Registered
441 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
So, Owen doesn't have a UTI anymore!! :biggrin: Woohoo!!!!!!
I did the cranberry capsules and this weekend his urin was clear as the water he was drinking. Now to get him back in for the blood work and another urin check to be sure that he isn't 'pre-diabetic'. :)

·
Registered
939 Posts
So, Owen doesn't have a UTI anymore!! :biggrin: Woohoo!!!!!!
I did the cranberry capsules and this weekend his urin was clear as the water he was drinking. Now to get him back in for the blood work and another urin check to be sure that he isn't 'pre-diabetic'. :)
Congrats. Let us know the results. :biggrin:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts