Dog Food Chat banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My dads dog whom is 11 years old (Australian Shepard) is itching an scratching and now... after the vet told him to buy Science Diet Non Alergic crap has had hair FALLING OFF HIS TAIL!!!!! :eek: :frown:

He stopped the fish oil pills I gave him because he thought THAT might be the problem. "Dogs dont eat Fish" he says.

Well I told him FULL STOP.... no more Science Diet! Get him on Blue Buffalo and start giving him the fish oil again.

Am I wrong????? :confused: :confused:

My dad loves that dog more than me!

·
Registered
10,128 Posts
Fish oil caps are a great thing for a dog. The rx food on the other hand is total crap.

Has your dad had bloodwork done on his dog? Is the dog overweight?

Hair falling out on the tail can be an indication of thyroid disease and bloodwork would be a good thing to do to rule that out.

You are not wrong, but your dad on the other hand is unfortunately.

·
Registered
5,009 Posts
What you'll want to do is go to a home prepared diet. It's NOT hard, and it's the ONLY way to know what you're feeding your dog. If what you say is true, then your dad will have no problem going the extra mile for your dog.

Please join us in the raw feeding section to learn more about this kind of diet.

If you absolutely must stick with kibble (which for this kind of case, I do NOT recommend AT ALL) then I would start with a limited ingredient kibble like California Natural, unless you suspect grains to be the culprit, in which case, grain free would be the way to go. Grain free kibbles can be very rich, and hard on the tummy, and also very expensive.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
What you'll want to do is go to a home prepared diet. It's NOT hard, and it's the ONLY way to know what you're feeding your dog. If what you say is true, then your dad will have no problem going the extra mile for your dog.

Please join us in the raw feeding section to learn more about this kind of diet.

If you absolutely must stick with kibble (which for this kind of case, I do NOT recommend AT ALL) then I would start with a limited ingredient kibble like California Natural, unless you suspect grains to be the culprit, in which case, grain free would be the way to go. Grain free kibbles can be very rich, and hard on the tummy, and also very expensive.
Alas he thinks for SOME reason home diets are BS :(
He is convinced that the rX is the way to go! :frown:

ANNNND he has dark pimpples on his belly.

ANNNNNND the dog is on 4 benadryll a day!!!!

The skin on his tail is reddish too.

·
Registered
5,009 Posts
Alas he thinks for SOME reason home diets are BS :(
He is convinced that the rX is the way to go! :frown:
Well maybe he needs to read about it some more, especially if he really loves his dog. RX diets are no good, and a total rip off. They do more harm than good, and I honestly believe they create more issues.

I can't comprehend someone who loves their dog, unwilling to learn about something that could make all the difference in the world.

Well, then you have to routs to explore.

A limited ingredient kibble to try to pinpoint a possible problem ingredient.

A grain free diet, as grains are a common culprit of problems, but these foods are often very rich and always expensive.

If he is unwilling to explore any of these routes, unfortunately there is nothing else I can recommend nutritionally. You can take the horse to the pond, but can't make him drink.

ETA: So sorry you're having a hard time, it's hard to watch a beloved pet decline. I did it for 7 months before going raw, and getting my puppy back, so to speak. Keep usposted on what he decides, and how the dog is doing. Please don't listen to your vet about nutrition.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts