Dog Food Chat banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,309 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here's where I'm a little bit stumped. I'm thinking of slowly switching my dog to raw. How much should I give him though? He's 115 lbs. and very lean. I can easily feel his ribs and the hip bones near the base of the tail (Actually, I don't even now if they are called hip bones!) I certainly don't want to overfeed him and gain weight...

·
Registered
4,419 Posts
No one can tell you if you switch slowly. If you switch "cold turkey" (the recommended method) you want to BEGIN at 2% of your dogs ideal adult weight per day. In your case it would be about two pounds a day. Remember this is only a starting point. From there, watch your dogs build (sounds like your dog's build is excellent). If he starts gaining weight, feed less and vice versa. You should be doing this all the time anyway regardless of what you feed.

Be aware then when feeding raw, nothing is exact. Some meals will be larger and some smaller. They will equal out over time. No 2 chicken quarters or backs or any other animal part weighs exactly the same. Think in terms of feeding one chicken quarter or 2 backs or a half a rack or ribs. Don't think in terms of pounds and ounces. You will soon learn what a meal looks like and will eyeball it. Nothing is exact in the world of raw feeding.

·
Registered
2,309 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Thanks for the info! Aspen says thanks for complimenting his build...!

I manage his weight very carefully...Of course, you can't see his ribs because of his fur, but you can sure feel them!!

·
Registered
3,550 Posts
I agree that the cold turkey switch is the best way to go with switching to raw.

Aspen is a beautiful dog with the name of my favorite tree (love it so much, I have one tattooed on me :biggrin:).

Anyway, I'd recommend starting with chicken leg quarters and just feed two a day (or one in the morning and two chicken backs at night, as RFD suggested). See, we agree so we must be right! :biggrin:

·
Registered
2,309 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks rannmiller:):):) I'm planning to make the switch when he's done with the dry. Will I see changes in him in about 2 or 3 months with the raw? He's very healthy and energetic on kibble...He's only been to the vet for his vaccinations and he's 4!! He's never needed to go...

·
Registered
3,550 Posts
Yeah, you should actually start seeing the benefits of raw within a week, the full benefits should be more visible within two to three months though.

·
Registered
2,004 Posts
Wow, that takes it to a bit of an extreme there.

The easy way is, feed your dog approximately 2% of their ideal body weight. You don't need to weigh the portions out, just eyeball it.

If your dog is looking chunky, decrease your portion size.

If your dog is looking a bit thin, increase your portion size.

There's no way I would bother weighing out each meal that our 4 (70-120lb) dogs eat every day.

·
Registered
3,550 Posts
Yeah, I think around 2 to 3 lbs per day ought to do it. Whatever happens to fall out of your freezer that day!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts