Dog Food Chat banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey! I'm new to this. Just wondering what type of dry dog food to feed my dog. I have a 15 mo. old bullmastiff. He's kinda like a rescue, I guess you could say. I got him about 3 mo ago and he was in poor health. He only weighed 65lbs and had demodex mange really bad, hardly any hair on him. But now, after quite a bit vet visits and $$$$ he looks great. He's up to 87lbs now and grew his hair back. I'm feeding him what he was eating before (Hunter's Edge) from a local feed store. Trying to find something better for him. He is by no means a hunting dog. Bullmastiffs are lazy!! and i think that brand of food has to much protein in it; but didn't want to change food right away since he was having all other kinds of problems too. Now that he is healthy I want to change but don't know what to get. I have been doing a lot of research, but of course everybody contradicts the other person so I really don't know. Any suggestions? Don't want to spend a whole lot on food, but want something decent for him.

·
Registered
4,419 Posts
Hunter's Edge is not a high protein food although it is a little on the high side with fat. The ingredients are pretty crappy. Well, no, they are very crappy.

When you ask a question like you did, everyone is going to tell you the food they feed is the best. Else they wouldn't be feeding it to their own dogs. To get a higher quality dog food you will have to pay for it.

If I had to feed kibble, I would feed EVO or Orijen. Both are much higher protein than you are presently feeding but I think you have a misconception that a dog who does not move much needs less protein. Protein builds muscle.

·
Registered
4,655 Posts
I don't know a lot about Bulmastiffs but I can tell you what my dogs water therapist, who raises and shows Bullmastiffs feeds her dogs! Taste of the Wild, there are different varieties of the kibble and I'm not sure which one is best, Carrie is always willing to help someone with questions about Bullmastiffs so if you want to contact her, the website for her business is Lap of Luxury | Canine Warm Water Therapy Hope this helps out.

·
Registered
68 Posts
We feed our dogs Nature's Variety. They have 2 lines of dry dog food, Prairie (contains grains) and Instinct (grain free). We have had excellent luck with Nature's Variety. We feed mainly the Prairie chicken & brown rice, and occassionally mix in other varieties (they have chicken, beef, lamb, salmon, venison). We also mix in some Instinct sometimes (they have chicken, duck & turkey, rabbit). You can get a buy one bag, get one free coupon at Welcome to Nature's Variety | Nature's Variety if you have it in your area and wish to give it a try.

·
Registered
2,359 Posts
Grain free. Evo, Orijen great foods!
High protien for big dogs low carbs low fat is good!:smile:

·
Registered
333 Posts
Yep, my pup gets Orijen and EVO canned.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts