Dog Food Chat banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I am new to this forum because I am looking for some dog food suggestions for my little babies!

First let me start with- I have 4 dog's. A 5 lb min-pin who is 2 years old, a chocolate lab mix who is 10 months, a chow/ german shepard mix who is thought to be around 3 years old, and our newest- a 10 lb min pin thought to be about 3 years old.

We started with our 5lb min pin and lab mix, started fostering and have aquired the Chow Mix and 10 lb min pin.

The lab & chow mix are fine with eating. It's my min pin's who have some problems. My smaller boy doesn't like to eat. He decides one day he likes one food- the next he won't touch it. Right now I have been feeding him boiled chicken breasts. My question is I am hoping someone knows the 'secret' min pin food for such a picky eater!! I have tried a ton- and nothing seems to last more than a few days- and he is so skinny I get VERY scared!

My new min pin is from a shelter (I just got her on Saturday) and she seems VERY hungry. She eats very quickly- and anything she see's. I am looking for a good- healthy food for her- that can help get her digestive system on track- and also keep her at a healthy weight. I also am not sure how much I should feed her since she seems so hungry!! I know she needs something better because the food the shelter gave me made her go #2, four times yesterday which seems crazy!! I know a good food without fillers will help that- but i dont know what kind!!

I have asked my vet but he is of no value- I am currently looking for a new one. I have tried to do research but it seems like I get mixed opinions.. and the shelters I have gone through adopting my dogs- they have been feeding "Dog Chow" which is terrible!!

I work with a rescue (that's how i foster) and she doesn't specialize in small breeds so I'm stuck!

Please help, and thanks for reading!!!!

·
Registered
628 Posts
Check out www.dogfoodanalysis.com to help you choose a food. You want to be feeding at least a 4 star food preferably a 5 or 6 star food. Wellness, Chicken Soup, California Natural, Innova, Solid Gold, Natural Balance, all are good foods to name a few.

With your min pin that is "picky", to be honest it sounds like some one has you trained VERY well. There's no harm with changing food once every 4-8 weeks to get a little bit of variety in fact it's a good thing and switching between 2-3 brands, however doing it daily or weekly she has trained you well. Put the food down, give her 20 minutes if she eats great, if not pick it up and try again at dinner time (assuming you feed twice a day), repeat, and keep doing this, I promise you eventually she WILL eat and not eating for 2-3 days isn't going to kill her thin or not. A healthy dog will not allow itself to starve to death, so once she realizes you aren't going to give in she will eat. Like children, picky dogs are not born they are created. However do not do this unless she is healthy, if there is a medical reason for her not to be eating make sure that is addressed first.

On the shelter dog that's hungry all of the time, use the guidelines on the bag as a guide and feed at the weight he/she should be (if they are undereweight) and go from there. If you notice he/she getting chunky cut back, if they are still too skinny after 2-3 weeks then add a little more.

Innova is a very good food as is California Natural. Blue Buffalo and Avoderm are good foods that are easy to find. Solid Gold, Natural Balance, and Wellness are good foods and are now sold at PetCo's (although cheaper at feed stores) so these are also easy to find now.

Good luck!

·
Registered
20 Posts
Boxermommie made the best point. I'm sure you have had your picky min-pin checked out and long as the vet said he is fine, then starve away. One of my dogs were the same way in the beginning because my brother spoiled him while I was away. Once they realize they can't win, they'll give in and learn to eat and love what you give them. If I remember correctly, my golden retriever did not eat for almost two days, but I was given the go from the vet that she was completely healthy so I kept at it. I know its hard to see your baby get thin and I'm sure you are very worried, but no worries, like Boxermommie said, dogs won't let themselves starve. Hes just taking advantage of your niceness.

I feed my dogs Innova but you have to find what suits for dogs. Innova has a lot of protein so some dogs have trouble with it. I run with my dogs twice a day so Innova is perfect for them. Definitely do the research and ask other min-pin owners. Unfortunately, I am not familiar with smaller dogs so I can't be of much help. Sorry!! Good luck with your picky one~

·
Registered
628 Posts
Regular Innova does not have a lot of protein it's only 24% however Innova EVO is a grain free high protein diet which is around 42% I believe. It depends on what version of Innova you feed. They are 2 very different things with very different ingredients.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I always forget to add the EVO. My puppy is on Innova because I heard Innova EVO is too much for a puppy so young to handle, but my older dogs are on EVO. I've just into the habit of calling it all Innova.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I do not agree with the idea of starving you dog into eating. You said your min pin who is picky is only 5lbs. It is NOT safe to "starve away" a 5lb dog. They go through energy reserves very quickly. I have a 3lb very picky chi, she absolutely loves Innova EVO small bites and I cut up Natural Balance food (the kind in the logs, they like beef best) and mix it in. I also buy fish oil for dogs, I use Alaskan salmon oil since it is readily available here and squirt 2 squirts in the dry food and mix it up for some extra omegas.

There is also a product called "Missing Link" that is a powdered supplement that they absolutely love.

I had to make my bigger dogs eat by doing the if your not going to eat it I am taking it away trick and it definitely works but on a small dog like that it is definitely not safe.

Also, Innova EVO makes a reduced fat food that is still a 6 star food and would be good for your overeating min pin.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts