Dog Food Chat banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have a 7 1/2 week old Lab/Pit puppy. We got him from outside a Target and were not fully prepared. We ended up buying Purina Beneful for puppies. Now that I have done some research I know this stuff is horrible and I want to switch my puppys food asap. I have now purchased Wellness for puppies. I was wondering how long of a transition he needs to the Wellness if he has only been eating the Purina Beneful for ~1 week. Before we got him he was eating canned food. Hes only had a couple very soft poops in the last week on the Beneful and he was not transitioned from his canned food to the Beneful.

Thanks!!

·
Registered
357 Posts
Mix half and half for about 4 days, then 3/4 new food for another 4 days, then you can make the switch!

·
Registered
3,550 Posts
It's usually recommended to make a two week switch starting with 75% of the old and 25% of the new and working them up to it. However, sometimes when you're mixing the high quality foods with the horrid foods (aka:Beneful) it can be pretty rough on the puppy's system.

Another great suggestion I've heard on here if you want to get your pup off of Beneful and eating well as soon as possible, just feed the puppy boiled chicken and brown rice (no kibble whatsoever) for a couple of days. Then start mixing in more of the Wellness and less of the chicken and rice.

It just depends on how fast you want the puppy off of the Beneful and how much you're willing to do to prepare his food. Have fun, I have a lab/pit and she's an amazing dog!

·
Registered
60 Posts
to go from something like beneful to wellness i'd take at least two weeks. dogs have very sensitive stomachs especially puppies, and with one at 7 1/2 weeks old i'd worry more so. even then your baby might experience a little stomach upset. and it's normal for there to be a change in stool during the switch too.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi I'm new to this forum specifically because of Beneful: Was doing some research as well and found this page:
Beneful dog food
I was especially concerned when I read the comments after the review of the food and posted a comment of my own which follows:

I have a siberian husky puppy who started out with the beneful puppy chow. The breeder said her dogs like beneful. He’s about 5 months old now and we’ve begun feeding homemade food, with some beneful playful life as well. We’ve begun dropping him off during the work days at the breader’s all day. There he eats beneful while spending the day with his “pack”. He’s begun to have diarrhea for the past few days and shows no signs of getting better the more time he spends there. I’ve been giving him only the homemade food of rice, oats and lean ground turkey with kidney, lima, and green beens. It seems like I should recommend the breader stop using beneful? I couldn’t find any recalls recently for the brand, but I’m getting quite worried from these posts about kidney failure!! :confused::frown:

·
Registered
628 Posts
When I got my pup at 7 1/2 weeks he was eating Purina Pro Plan, I read the ingredients and simply couldn't stomach the thought of continuing to feed it to him so I just switched from that to Canidae (back when the old formula was around) and did it cold turkey and he did just fine. It really just depends on the dog. My female you can switch from one meal to the next without any issues whatsoever, my male on the other hand has allergies, colitis, and an extremely sensitive stomach in general and so he has to take around 5-6 days to switch to something new or it's runny stools and gas for awhile.

I'd make some boiled chicken and rice for a day or 2 and then add in the Wellness and be done with it by day 4-5. If you notice any adverse reactions then drag it out a little longer.

Good luck.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts