Dog Food Chat banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I (or my puppy has) been struggling with diarrhea for 6 weeks. She came to me at 7 months old with 2 types of worms and then developed coccidia. The only time she has had solid poo is on boiled chicken and rice w/ a teaspoon of pumpkin, which I have her on again as of yesterday. (solid poo tonight!! yeah!)

I know this is not a balanced diet, and will get her some multi-vitamins tomorrow, but since she has had diarrhea for so long, I will probably keep her on this for a little while.

Meanwhile, I need to find a food that she can tolerate. She came to me on Royal Canin (ick) and I slowly switched her to Orijen puppy. When that didn't work, I again, slowly, switched her to Wellness Just for Puppy, she was on that for a month and had bad diarrhea the whole time.

I am looking for advice on what to try next? Clearly there is something that is upsetting her stomach, but what?
I don't want to feed her raw food.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
3,550 Posts
It seems to me like she's doing best on real, whole foods as opposed to kibble. Which makes sense since kibble can be very hard on the gut. You can either keep trying high quality food for a month or more at a time to see if you can get the problem to clear up on a certain brand, or you can keep making her food yourself and just giver her a good multivitamin to make sure she's getting everything she needs. Sounds to me like her body likes the real food. Out of curiosity, why don't you want to feed raw food? It sounds like it's just what her body is needing/wanting right now.

·
Registered
4,419 Posts
I (or my puppy has) been struggling with diarrhea for 6 weeks. She came to me at 7 months old with 2 types of worms and then developed coccidia. The only time she has had solid poo is on boiled chicken and rice w/ a teaspoon of pumpkin, which I have her on again as of yesterday. (solid poo tonight!! yeah!)
Anytime a pup has diarrhea this long, he needs to see a vet just to confirm that there is no other physical reason he can find for the diarrhea. Pumpkin doesn't cure diarrhea. All it does is hide it by absorbing water.

I know this is not a balanced diet, and will get her some multi-vitamins tomorrow, but since she has had diarrhea for so long, I will probably keep her on this for a little while.
She hasn't had a balanced diet since she has had diarrhea.

Meanwhile, I need to find a food that she can tolerate. She came to me on Royal Canin (ick) and I slowly switched her to Orijen puppy. When that didn't work, I again, slowly, switched her to Wellness Just for Puppy, she was on that for a month and had bad diarrhea the whole time.
If you've switched to all those foods in 6 weeks, she hasn't been on any of them long enough to know if they will work or not.

I am looking for advice on what to try next? Clearly there is something that is upsetting her stomach, but what?
One common cause for diarrhea that is often overlooked is overfeeding. Try feeding half the amount of kibble you have been feeding and see what happens. You might be surprised. Then again, you might not be. :smile:

I don't want to feed her raw food.
It's the one cure that will definately work.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
he needs to see a vet just to confirm that there is no other physical reason he can find for the diarrhea.

I did take her to the vet, a bunch of times, as well as talked to him on the phone.

If you've switched to all those foods in 6 weeks, she hasn't been on any of them long enough to know if they will work or not.

I only switched 2 times? How long is she supposed to suffer with diarrhea before I give up? I think a month is long enough, but that's just me.

One common cause for diarrhea that is often overlooked is overfeeding.

She only gets half a cup 2x a day. That's not overfeeding. She was really really skinny the first 3 weeks she was here from the worms.

It's the one cure that will definately work.[/QUOTE]

It's just not for me. I have no problem feeding her boiled chicken and rice, but I don't want to do completely raw.

·
Registered
3,550 Posts
Personally, when I first thought about starting raw, I thought maybe I should start them out on cooked food first, then work into raw. Then I realized how much extra time that would be, and the fact that I'd have to supplement their calcium intake cuz they couldn't eat the cooked bones, and they still wouldn't be getting the full benefits of a non-kibble diet if I cooked out all the enzymes. So even though I'm a vegetarian, I buckled down and handed them a drumstick straight from the fridge. My dogs looked like they were going to get in trouble for eating "people food" at first, like it was some sort of a test of wills. But when they realized they weren't going to get in trouble for it, they happily crunched through the bones and meat and skin and got this look on their faces like, "Ah yes, this seems right! This is what I've been missing all these years!" It just came so naturally to them, I thought, "Wow, all these years I've been looking for an all natural dog food, who'd have though I'd find it in the grocery store?"

But that's just me. I'd say if you're really set on feeding kibble (which is perfectly fine, it just sounded to me like you're interested in what's best for your dog and what's going to help her stop suffering with diarrhea), I'd say just keep trying different brands and hope for the best.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Quite often when coccidia and worms have been a problem, the intestines can remain sensitive for quite some time. If you haven't already, I'd drop off another stool sample and be certain the coccidia is completely gone.

I do agree that raw is best. However, if you aren't looking to go that route, and you are willing to do a home prepared diet, you can certainly do that for the long term. If you are really wanting to get your pup on a kibble, you may want to do a few things to help strengthen her digestive tract before introducing any kibble at all. Honestly, kibble is not terribly easy for a dog to digest, particularly when there are problems already.

IF you are insistent that kibble is where you want to go, I would start by giving slippery elm bark in between meals to help soothe the digestive tract. I would also give L-Glutamine and a B-Vitamin complex to help heal the intestinal lining. At the same time, giving probiotics to make sure their is adequate population of the good bacteria in her intestines can be very beneficial.

You'll want to do all of that while giving her the bland diet of chicken and rice. Another thing you will want to do now is add calcium. You can do this by adding raw meaty bones (chicken necks if you're OK with that), egg shell powder or calcium carbonate. You'll want to make sure the calcium to phosphorus ratio is around 1.3:1 so you'll have to look up how much phosphorus is in the chicken and rice you are feeding. From there, add a good all around supplement like Nupro to give her some of what she is missing from the chicken and rice.

Now, for kibble, I'd likely look at something like California Natural. They do have a chicken and rice formula that is very simple. The thing with California Natural is that it is low in protein - far lower than I like to see. The puppy formulas are a bit better than the adult, so if you choose to go that route and it works for her, I'd keep her on the puppy formula and not ever switch to the adult, even when she becomes an adult. If she remains consistent on the chicken and rice, you can very slowly start to mix it with some of the kibble you choose for her - very, very slowly. First start by offering some as treats and see how she does with that. If she's OK with it as treats, add just a small amount mixed in with the chicken and rice. If she does well with that, slowly increase how much kibble you are giving while decreasing the amount of chicken and rice.

Slippery elm bark is wonderful for the digestive tract so if she does become problematic during your attempts to change her over, you can very safely continue to give it to her. I would not give it with meals. What you would want to do is open up the capsules and mix the contents with a bit of warm water. It will form sort of a gel that you can let her lap up or syringe (no needle) it into her mouth.

So, that's a start, anyway.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts