Dog Food Chat banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I need help selecting food for my cocker spaniel. My dog's allergies are both enivormental and food related. She is constanting itching and biting herself, has hair loss and flaking smelly skin and ears. She is miserable. I have literally spent thousands at the vet on her with no results. As far as food she is allergic to chicken and brewers yeast. I was thinking about California Natural & Fromm brands. Any suggestions would be appreicated. Also I was reading reviews on Solid Gold Seameal Supplment; wondering if anyone had any input.

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
Just throwing this out there. Have you thought about going RAW??
From someone who has been through this, just an idea.

·
Registered
718 Posts
I agree with Khan even though I know we aren't supposed to push raw in the kibble forum. But just in case you don't know about the whole raw option, you may find that this diet will cause a complete 180-degree change in your dog's health.

Most of the meat allergies dogs have are to cooked versions of the meat (in your case chicken, although I'm suspect of that diagnosis). All kibble is highly processed which includes thorough cooking. Raw versions of the same meat have a completely different protein profile and usually don't provoke an allergic reaction. Carnivores don't normally have meat allergies if the meat is in its natural state (raw).

I have a little doxie/cocker mix that was very sick when I got him and he did poorly on all the so-called "premium" kibble I tried to feed him. He has done wonderfully on raw though, specifically the "prey model raw", also called the "raw meaty bone" diet. This is not the commercial raw stuff that also has vegetables and other fillers.

If it's not for you, not a problem. We won't push it but you should at least know that it's a very viable and potentially healing option for a dog in that condition. You can find more information in the raw feeding forum here and we encourage you to ask questions:

Raw Feeding - Dog Food Forum

I hope you find a healthy solution for your dog. It must be horrible watching her in such misery every day. Been there, done that. Raw solved the problem.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the input. At this point Im open to anything. My main concern with raw is if there is any prep time; (because I have a 18 month old and another one on the way) which it doesnt seem like. And I know that dogs eat the bones in the raw diet; but I am concerned about choking.
As for the chicken allergy; I had my dog allergy tested before she went on allergy shots and thats one of the ones that came back for her being allergic to. I never really considered that it could be cooked chicken....interesting.

Those allergy shots were a joke; I think it aggrevated the condition more then it helpe

·
Registered
4,655 Posts
Come on over to the raw section and find out the info you need to help out your dog!

·
Registered
718 Posts
Come on over to the raw section and find out the info you need to help out your dog!
+1

No need to worry about bones if you do this right (selecting the right size meaty bones for your dog's size).

The allergy tests typically used by vets to test for protein allergies are based on the protein profile of the cooked protein. These are virtually irrelevant in regards to raw versions of the same protein.

C'mon over to the raw forum and we'll help you get started. :biggrin:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts