Dog Food Chat banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
10,780 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
we have decorative granite small sized rocks that bubba's suddenly decided to pick up and move, bring them in the house....and not sure about this....i think he's a step away from eating them..

what would make a dog eat rocks.

he is 18 lbs....he is already getting 10 oz per day and still maintains his girly waist....

he is walked several times a day...

he plays with malia and we play with him....

gets as much variety of proteins as i can give him...gets organs and meatymeats....

is there something missing from his diet?

his grass eating, by the way, has slowed down, now that we're nearing the end of our fourth month and he crunches bone better, other than the tiny pork rib that somehow didn't get thrown out....

he started the rock thing before that, though....since it's finally sunny here, we keep the back patio door open and they come and go as they please...

he's three.

·
Registered
10,780 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i haven't caught him yet, with rock being swallowed and my hand down his throat....

i also haven't seen him poop in the last two days...which in and of itself is not abnormal...although not usual....

i don't know what the heck he's doing....i just keep finding rocks near where he's laying down outside....his interest is new and disturbing....

i don't want to run him to the vet for the x ray that will show me whether or not he's just playing or eating....but it looks as if i might have to.

wait. newsflash. i just found a fresh poo in the backyard....no rock, no bone...maybe a little too much liver yesterday.....so my guess is he's not eating them....

but, still...how do i stop him. he plays with his toys and pizzles....he gets walked...he eats enough....he's spoiled rotten...

'tis a dilemma.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Hmmm...... maybe he has just discoverd them, and has a new facination? As long as he is not eating them I don't guess its much to worry about. :confused:

·
Registered
76 Posts
i haven't caught him yet, with rock being swallowed and my hand down his throat....

i also haven't seen him poop in the last two days...which in and of itself is not abnormal...although not usual....

i don't know what the heck he's doing....i just keep finding rocks near where he's laying down outside....his interest is new and disturbing....

i don't want to run him to the vet for the x ray that will show me whether or not he's just playing or eating....but it looks as if i might have to.

wait. newsflash. i just found a fresh poo in the backyard....no rock, no bone...maybe a little too much liver yesterday.....so my guess is he's not eating them....

but, still...how do i stop him. he plays with his toys and pizzles....he gets walked...he eats enough....he's spoiled rotten...

'tis a dilemma.
My golden eats rocks...a lot. They are the small ones, nothing big but rocks all the same. When he goes to day care on Friday's, I know by Sunday, I'll be hearing the familiar tink..tink..tink as he poops.

I don't understand it and it seems to have slowed down since he's been on raw.

It's never been an issue but I still don't want him eating rocks. He eats grass on a regular basis too so I chaulk it up to being a crazy golden.

- Jean

·
Registered
10,780 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
we're only four months into this and i kind of expect to see things i wouldn't normally have seen...maybe...who knows with these crazy dogs...

i do know that this week, both have actually stopped eating so much grass, and no, we don't feed green tripe....so that's kind of interesting to me...

but he's a pug, and while they are decorative rocks....i mean, i'm kind of laughing because his poop was normal today....but, these rocks are not pea sized.....and have sharp edges...and now, every time he goes out back....i have to sneak up on him to see what he's doing..

and then i wonder if perhaps i'm not meeting a nutritional need....what does red sunset granite have that his other proteins don't? LOL

or he's just being quirky...i don't know. it's brand new behaviour.

·
Registered
10,780 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
It has nothing to do with nutrition. He's just found some new toys that are fun to play with. :smile:
i can just see the bill for the x ray....thanks...

on the other hand, they have both pretty much stopped eating grass....

transition is longer than a month, i begin to see. :)

·
Registered
4,655 Posts
The problems with rocks if they don't swallow them and they just want to play and chew them is their teeth.

I remember as a child a friend had a lab that that would always bring a rock for you to throw, he was obsessed with rocks and his teeth were very worn down because of it.

·
Registered
10,780 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The problems with rocks if they don't swallow them and they just want to play and chew them is their teeth.

I remember as a child a friend had a lab that that would always bring a rock for you to throw, he was obsessed with rocks and his teeth were very worn down because of it.
so if he doesn't swallow them, then i can look forward to raw puree in his later years LOL

what an image!

i think, perhaps, since this is probably behavioural....i'm going to have to train him out of it. i don't want him playing with rocks and he's cost us enough in less than a year that we've had him....

·
Registered
4,419 Posts
i think, perhaps, since this is probably behavioural....i'm going to have to train him out of it. i don't want him playing with rocks and he's cost us enough in less than a year that we've had him....
If there are just a limited number of rocks he is mouthing, you can get some Alum and put it on each rock and he will very quickly stop that habit. Alum is a white powder. Get a spoonful, add a few drops of water to make a paste and spread it on the rock. He will put that rock in his mouth one more time and never touch it again. I suspect by the time he as tried 3 or 4 rocks, he will decide none of them are good anymore. The paste dries into an ugly white crust. After he has stopped mouthing them for a few weeks, you can wash the ugly crust off the rocks.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts