Dog Food Chat banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 9.5wk old chihuahua. He currently eats blue buff small breed puppy kibble. I've tried feeding him raw with horrible results, (dihareha, blood, mucus in poop) I've just tried The Honest Kitchen and the first night he ate it like he loved it. That night he threw all of it up a few hours later. Now he won't touch it and we're back to kibble. I want to feed him something better than the blue buff though so any suggestions?

·
Registered
4,655 Posts
I've read some of your previous posts did you maybe move too fast in the PMR diet? those are the symptoms of going to fast with new meat sources.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I started him out on chicken wings, tried some boneless breast because I was told he needed less bone, then I was told to try turkey necks so we did that for a couple days. He was on the chicken for close to a week before I gave up and scrapped the whole raw thing all together. So other than trying the turkey necks he was on chicken the entire time.

·
Registered
3,085 Posts
I started him out on chicken wings, tried some boneless breast because I was told he needed less bone, then I was told to try turkey necks so we did that for a couple days. He was on the chicken for close to a week before I gave up and scrapped the whole raw thing all together. So other than trying the turkey necks he was on chicken the entire time.
You actually need to feed a dog MORE bone in meals when first transitioning to raw. The bone is what keeps the stool firm and solid. No bones in the beginning will for sure lead to diarrhea.

I am sure if your still interested you can post in the raw section and get a lot of help to try again.

I'll let a raw feeder take it from here.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
at first I was feeding him wings, more bone than meat there and his poops were horrible. He pooped nothing but puddles of poo blood and mucus for the entire time he was on raw. I'm not going back on raw anytime in the near future. I might try again when he's older but right now he's to tiny to be that sick for that long. It can't be healthy for him. So kibble is basically what I'm looking at at this point. Unless someone has another suggestion thats not terribly expensive. Ziwipeak, stella&chewy's and things like that are out of my price range unfortunately

·
Registered
2,965 Posts
If you want to stick with kibble, I raised my son's 8 week old chihuahua on Evo kibble just this summer. She was only 1.5 pounds and prone to hypoglycemia when they got her and was eating Nutro. We switched her to EVO kibble with some canned mixed with the vets approval. She did really well on it and is now 8 months old and almost 4 pounds and very bouncy and happy. She never had another hypoglymecia episode.

You can also try Orijen puppy if you don't want to use the EVO. My one dog eats Orijen puppy still, and does really well on it. With the Chihuahua we made sure to feed several small meals per day because her tummy was so small. We did 4 meals a day to start and then went down to three meals a day.

Other options would be Taste of the Wild, Wellness, Chicken Soup for the Puppy Lovers Soul, and Merricks Puppy Plate. There is a wide variety of good foods out there to try. Just take it slow with the puppy. Good Luck.

·
Registered
474 Posts
Have him checked for coccidia with a stool sample. Young dogs are very susceptible and need attention. Also mix some GatorAid in his water bowl to keep him hydrated. How are his stools? Is he eating anything? How is his energy level?

Also have him checked for parvo if his poos are rank smelling. Sounds to me more like an intestinal issue than food. Especially the foul poos.

·
Registered
56 Posts
All health issues aside, I would recommend Orijen over all other kibbles if that is the route you choose to go. Just my two cents.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yep, he's totally back to normal now. No blood no mucus, no poo puddles. His poop hasn't even been particularly soft the last couple of days which hasn't happened much with him. I am testing out a little bit of solid gold puppy food in with his blue buff so that could have something to do with it.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts