Dog Food Chat banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My sister and I - unbeknownst to both of us beforehard, became Boxer mama's on the same weekend!

While we found our two dogs on craigslist, she purchased hers from a breeder in California. She is currently feeding 100% kibble. She was told by her breeder that she should add hot water to it, let is sit for a few minutes, then drain the water off. That is what she is doing.

I do not recall what brand she told me she is feeding, but I believe it is what the breeder fed and recommended.

She and I have not talked about raw, but I have talked to my mom about it, who told my sister. My mom told me my sister's response was, "Ewww..."

My sister is a VERY intelligent woman, but very stubborn and generally always thinks she is right and thus not often open to new ideas...

I would love to direct her to some websites that are clear and provide facts about kibble and raw...even in doing that, I am risking an argument, because she will take that as my "telling her what to do" and thinking she "doesn't know what she is doing." But when I hear my mom tell me about this poor puppy eating wet kibble....I know I have to risk the argument.

SO...can you all help me convince my sister to convert - or at the very least, make her more knowledgeable about what she is feeding Stella (4.5 months), please, by directing me to some websites?

THANK YOU!

·
Registered
4,655 Posts
I don't know what to tell you as I've had no luck converting my sister or brother with dogs to a raw diet. I guess it comes down to I'm the baby of the family and don't know what I'm talking about. I've tried directing them here to this website, but people who aren't ready, just aren't ready to be open to this.

I'm sure others will have more encouraging words for you and I'm still trying as I bought my brother "Raw Meaty Bones" by Tom Lonsdale that his fiance will read I'm sure. He's getting it for his birthday next month.

·
Registered
1,885 Posts
I suggest that you lead your sister to believe that going raw is HER idea. Generally I have found that you can get someone who "knows everything" to go with your way of thinking if you gently suggest things and ask questions where the logical answers support your argument.

In my experience, the more you talk about raw and try to get people to convert, the more annoyed they get. To most people, raw is a radical thing to do and kibble marketing is very convincing....

She may not agree with you now, but once she sees how great your dogs look compared to hers, she might come around.:biggrin:

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
In my experience, the more you talk about raw and try to get people to convert, the more annoyed they get. To most people, raw is a radical thing to do and kibble marketing is very convincing....

She may not agree with you now, but once she sees how great your dogs look compared to hers, she might come around.:biggrin:
First, thank you all. I am going to look into the books today!

Ania's mom, you are so right! I think my sister is so sure I am "the radical daughter" that she wouldn't listen to a thing I say anyway! But, I did say to my mom, "Well, let's see in 5 years when she has had to have Stella's teeth cleaned twice and Hurley and Penny have pearly whites what she thinks about raw!" It just kills me to think that in the meantime, the poor cute little puppy is eating crap - and oh, CRAP it is: My mom told me last night it is NUTRO! :(

Off to look at the books!

·
Registered
10,128 Posts
Maybe show her the long list of recalls too. And print out all the desriptions of all the ingredients for her to read, which may invoke her "ewww" response even more. These coupled with those books should do the trick! I agree that you have to make it her idea though or it will back fire miserably!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts