Dog Food Chat banner

1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It has been recently brought to my attention, and the attention of several other in my community, that our pound is currently using a co2 gas chamber to euthanize animals and then dumping them in the county dump!

This is NOT ok! I understand, as sad as it is, that sometimes dogs need to be euthanized. However, a gas chamber is NOT a humane way of doing so. Especially since both of the wardens are certified to euthanize by injections, but are currently choosing not to do so!

Please visit the following website to show your support or email the local commissioners or whatever you see fit. Stop the gassing at the Fayette County Dog Pound

We are willing to FIGHT strong and hard for this! And we would appreciate anyone's advice and support in doing so!

Thank you all so very much!! I am the owner of a rescue mutt and she's the greatest thing that has ever happened to my husband and I! I couldn't imagine getting another dog but her! I also couldn't imagine a sweetheart like her never getting a second chance at life because some cruel, inhumane person decided to stuff her in a box and suffocate her!

Ok, I apologize for the rant. I just am absolutely APPALLED that all this has been going on and no one knew about it! Thank you all so much for anything you can offer in terms of support!! You are all AMAZING people!

·
Registered
3,550 Posts
Wow I wasn't sure if shelters still used this method! I know the Elko Animal Shelter in NV used to do this when I worked there in 2005 but I have no idea if they still do. It is extremely sad to see the poor pups with tails wagging thinking they're finally going to go for a walk, then they get near that gas chamber and they just know they aren't coming out. The employs hoist in several dogs at a time, usually, shut the door, and turn on the machine. The most heartbreaking thing might be hearing them howl as they go down :frown:
Or dragging out the sad, furry bodies that have defecated all over themselves/each other in their final moments of terror before stuffing them into a trash bag and putting them in a giant chest freezer until the flatbed truck can come by once a week to haul them up the road to the dump (yes, the shelter is about 1/4 mile from the dump in Elko).

Sorry if that's too graphic for people but it is a truly sickening experience and the only thing humane about it is that the animals finally get to escape their awful fate when they finally succumb to the poison *sigh*

·
Registered
10,128 Posts
Something needs to be done. The fact that this happens is appalling and sickening to think about. I think the only thing that will stop things like this from happening is education. Education about responsible pet ownership is all it would take.

·
Registered
517 Posts
Wow I wasn't sure if shelters still used this method! I know the Elko Animal Shelter in NV used to do this when I worked there in 2005 but I have no idea if they still do. It is extremely sad to see the poor pups with tails wagging thinking they're finally going to go for a walk, then they get near that gas chamber and they just know they aren't coming out. The employs hoist in several dogs at a time, usually, shut the door, and turn on the machine. The most heartbreaking thing might be hearing them howl as they go down :frown:
Or dragging out the sad, furry bodies that have defecated all over themselves/each other in their final moments of terror before stuffing them into a trash bag and putting them in a giant chest freezer until the flatbed truck can come by once a week to haul them up the road to the dump (yes, the shelter is about 1/4 mile from the dump in Elko).

Sorry if that's too graphic for people but it is a truly sickening experience and the only thing humane about it is that the animals finally get to escape their awful fate when they finally succumb to the poison *sigh*
OMG!! I didn't need to hear that. People should be euthanized, not animals. After all we're destroying this planet. Jesus I went to the link and watched the gas box, I can't see how people could work there, unless you're a sadist, psychotic a'holes.

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
OMG! I knew better than to watch that. Would like to stick them in there.

·
Registered
4,655 Posts
Until people start taking responsibility and fixing their animals and stop the throw away mentality; this will be a sad truth of what happens.

Maybe if more people were made to see it, it would open their eyes to how life really is for their dogs when they give them up to have a child, or move to a place they can't take them with them.

·
Banned
1,713 Posts

wow this is messed ujp. why not use injections? does it cost more time and money?? im not sure how gas chambers worked, but i know theyw were used in the holocaust, and the nazis are not known for their human acts of kindness and friendlines.

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
Piling those poor dogs on top of already dead dogs?

Horrible.
Despicable. I hope this gets solved.

·
Registered
2,359 Posts
Have you written a letter to your congressman or gotten any petitons going on this matter? Voicing your opinion and letting people in on this is a great way to get things rolling to stop this! Write your congressman and the local area humane shelters and such! It sounds to me like people in your area want this stopped so get them involved in writing to newspapers and anyone who will help out! Good Luck!
Your doing a great service for these animals! Kudos to you!

·
Registered
3,266 Posts
Its a horrible practice and I've been trying to spread the word around the dog loving community around here, since multiple counties still gas animals on weekly basis here in NC and rescues can only do so much due to high costs of boarding and rehabilitation. Check the link in my signature, theres a great organization based in RI that almost weekly pulls dogs and cats from high kill gassing facilities, they recently acquired a property which gives them a great opportunity to board multiple animals without having to pay boarding costs, they still need weekly donating to assist with vet and transport fees.
If you can please spread the word and support davie's law:
Urge NC Senate to Pass Davie's Law! | Animal Law Coalition

·
Registered
1,791 Posts
thanks for your work on this...

sickening. I had to stop the video.

I think when all your Dogs come from the shelter, it's even more hard hitting.

I've got to be a little careful because I'm pretty revved up after reading this and watching 1/2 the video....

but I'm gonna say it anyway...

I think anyone who BREEDS Dogs or goes to a breeder...or doesn't get their Dog fixed...is cruel. Period. I know this will rub many of you the wrong way but it is beyond me...w/ this type of garbage going on every day, literally MILLIONS of this earth's most perfect and loving animals...being destroyed barbarically like this....and we have people replenishing us with more and more of them every day...

This is all I will say and as I said, I realize this will rub some of you wrong, but I can't hide it and it needs to be said.

QUIT BREEDING MORE AND MORE DOGS. GO TO A DAM SHELTER IF YOU WANT A DOG.

Reactions: PUNKem733

·
Registered
3,085 Posts
I agree and disagree with your points. Here is my rant.....:wink:

I feel that if you are purchasing a puppy from a responsible, reputable, ethical breeder it is okay. I am talking about breeders that test their breeding dogs for genetic problems such as hip and elbow displasia, etc. I am talking about breeders that screen their puppy buyers to make sure they are going to good homes. I am talking about breeders whose purpose is the betterment of the breed. I am talking about breeders who are willing to take any puppy back for whatever reason. Breeders that care about the health of their breeding stock and their puppies. Breeders that put the utmost importance in finding the right family for their puppies. And only let their puppies go to homes that have responsible pet owners. Breeders that form a life long friendship with puppy owners.

I am NOT talking about puppy mills and backyard breeders. THESE people are the ones who are the problem. The puppy mills who just churn out hunders of puppies for only money. Who have no care in the world about the puppies health and where it will end up. Backyard breeders who breed whatever dogs they want to make money. Owners who DON'T get their PET dogs and cats spayed and neutered and let them run and roam free. Irresponsible pet owners who don't do what they need to do. THESE people are the REAL problem.

That's just how I feel about the matter....and I respect your opinion. :smile:

·
Registered
517 Posts
I watched a vid of dogs being put to sleep with injections, and honestly that didn't bother me at all. It was so peaceful, no howling or anything, they just put their heads down and look like they go to sleep. They were talking to the female tech who performs it, and she was crying talking about how she coddles the dog, and whispers sweet things to them. I can't see how you'd use a gas box. I think they are doing it cause it's quicker, you can shove a bunch of animals in, rather than take the time to do each animal one at a time.

I think it's laziness, that has these TRUE savages gassing these animals.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks everyone for the support! I'm sure this is going to be a tough battle and I really appreciate it!

There are several things in the works currently. Monday there will be a county commissioners meeting and several people are supposed to be attending that to speak out to the commissioners on WHY they are allowing this to continue. Also a petition is being started since there are several supporters who will not be able to attend the meeting, because its at 9 am on a Monday.

Again, thank you all so much for the support! It makes me sick to think about the suffering those poor babies have to go through!! Especially when there are more painless options available!

As far as the wardens, I have attempted to talk to them on several occasions when we were first looking to adopt a puppy. They both were rude and heartless. Knew NOTHING about the dogs we were asking about and seemed to have little interest in finding them a forever home. When we attempted to adopt from them they said she has already been taken somewhere else. When we asked where, so that we could contact them to get her the said they didn't know. I asked about looking in the adoption paperwork and got a rude remark about how busy they were and that they would get back to me. Needless to say that never happened...and it breaks my heart to think what could have happened to that little puppy!!

People need to be educated! Breeders aren't bad...but just make sure you find a reputable one. But the best dogs, the ones with the most love to give, are the ones that have been in horrible situations before and will be so happy to love you just because you gave them another chance at life!

·
Registered
2,309 Posts
Oh my goodness gracious!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I didn't see when they turned on the gas because I couldn't take it. Who are these monsters????

OMG!! I didn't need to hear that. People should be euthanized, not animals. After all we're destroying this planet. Jesus I went to the link and watched the gas box, I can't see how people could work there, unless you're a sadist, psychotic a'holes.
And yes!!! People should be euthanized!!!!! :mad::mad:

·
Registered
517 Posts
Thanks everyone for the support! I'm sure this is going to be a tough battle and I really appreciate it!

There are several things in the works currently. Monday there will be a county commissioners meeting and several people are supposed to be attending that to speak out to the commissioners on WHY they are allowing this to continue. Also a petition is being started since there are several supporters who will not be able to attend the meeting, because its at 9 am on a Monday.

Again, thank you all so much for the support! It makes me sick to think about the suffering those poor babies have to go through!! Especially when there are more painless options available!

I wish I lived in Ohio, (never thought I'd say that), I would have these people pulling their hair out. They'd shut the place down from my harassment.
As far as the wardens, I have attempted to talk to them on several occasions when we were first looking to adopt a puppy. They both were rude and heartless. Knew NOTHING about the dogs we were asking about and seemed to have little interest in finding them a forever home. When we attempted to adopt from them they said she has already been taken somewhere else. When we asked where, so that we could contact them to get her the said they didn't know. I asked about looking in the adoption paperwork and got a rude remark about how busy they were and that they would get back to me. Needless to say that never happened...and it breaks my heart to think what could have happened to that little puppy!!

People need to be educated! Breeders aren't bad...but just make sure you find a reputable one. But the best dogs, the ones with the most love to give, are the ones that have been in horrible situations before and will be so happy to love you just because you gave them another chance at life!
I believe when a group of people put there minds in achieving a common goal, that goal can be reached. You may call it prayer, positive thoughts, or whatever; we should all wish these wardens a horrifying, mutant strain of Ebola or cancer. Then when they need medical help, sow them the gas box, and tell them hop inside, we'll take the pain away. It would be great to watch them howl. God I am so infuriated, I'm damn near shaking.

I know it is horrible of me to think this, or feel this way, but I can't help it. I never, EVER wish people ill will, but I just can't help it.

·
Registered
1,214 Posts
In my opinion, I don't think breeding dogs is bad, as long as it's coming from a reputable breeder, as stated before. What disgusts me is all of the people SELLING puppies on CraigsList, or people looking for stud services. I mean, seriously? If you have to sell your puppies or dog's sperm on an Internet advertising site, then OBVIOUSLY you shouldn't be breeding the damned dogs, and OBVIOUSLY you don't give half a rats arse about them! If only it were possible to eradicate all of the puppy mill businesses and backyard breeding, we wouldn't even need shelters or humane societies or rescues. And yes, I classify anything as Backyard Breeding except for people who show their dogs, breed them only a FEW (like three of four) times in their lives, screen potential buyers, test for genetic defects, and FOR GAWDSAKE, don't let the puppies go before eight to twelve weeks OLD! Same goes for the poor kittens...Saw someone advertising to sell kittens when they hit FIVE WEEKS old!

People are sick and twisted...It reminds me so much of the Holocaust, gassing dogs....It's just like gassing people, loading them all up into a small room and shutting the doors. How can anyone listen to the helpless screams without even blinking? I really, honestly wish that people like that could experience the feelings of horror and terror that those dogs (and people) went through in their last moments of life, if not to die, but only to learn a lesson about compassion.

·
Registered
1,791 Posts
I understand what everyone is saying about "responsible breeders" and I respect your opinion.

Diplomatically...I say this...I suppose responsible breeders are not DIRECTLY to blame for the problem.

However, I would say this...they certainly don't HELP the problem of overpopulation by continuing to breed.

Responsible or not, for every NEW dog they bring into the world, it virtually automatically means that person wanting a Dog WON'T go to a shelter.

It would be nice if Breeders would just STOP for awhile until we can get a handle on the overpopulation and cruel Euthanization of Dogs and Cats(I don't believe much breeding of Cats goes on though)...

Again, I respect everyone's opinion and certainly there are Breeders more unethical than others. But again, every new dog brought into the world is an immediate death sentence for a Shelter Dog.

·
Registered
5,009 Posts
I think anyone who BREEDS Dogs or goes to a breeder...or doesn't get their Dog fixed...is cruel. Period.
1. Two of my four are from breeders, and I have NO regrets on it, I'd do it again, and I'm NOT cruel to my pets. BOTH of those dogs have contracts that if for any reason I am unable to keep them, I MUST take them back to the breeder at any time in their lives, and not dump them in a shelter.

2. I know PLENTY of people with intact dogs due to their beliefs on the health benefits of keeping a dog in tact, who do nto contribute to the overpopulation issue one bit. That's a matter of being a responsible pet owner or not, NOT a matter of intact/ fixed.

I find this statement to be INCREDIBLY narrow minded and self righteous. I suppose my GSD mix that I took in from an abusive situation, rehabilitated, did extensive training with on his male aggression from a year of being beat violently, spent hundreds and hundreds of dollars getting him fit to be a family pet doesn't matter when I have two other dogs from breeders does it? No, I'm cruel. period. I guess the hundreds of hours I've volunteered for shelters and rescues doesn't matter. No. I'm cruel. Period. I get the hundreds of miles put on my cars transporting rescue animals to new homes doesnt matter, because I'm cruel. Period.

And I guess the fact that my next dog will be a quality Pembroke Welsh Corgi female intended for breeding pretty much makes me the worst person on earth, right?

Diplomatically...I say this...I suppose responsible breeders are not DIRECTLY to blame for the problem.

However, I would say this...they certainly don't HELP the problem of overpopulation by continuing to breed.
I will say that in search of a Boxer from a great breeder, I found a hard time even finding one that didn't have a wait list a few years long, or had a litter even planned.
You make it sound like responsible breeders are just churning out litter after litter, and it's not the case. I am very muchso passionate about the preservation of my breeds, and yes, it does irk me to see someone bashing good breeding practices.

Responsible or not, for every NEW dog they bring into the world, it virtually automatically means that person wanting a Dog WON'T go to a shelter.
Wrong, wrong, wrong!!! I know plenty of people who will ONLY go to breeder, and if there weren't any, probably just wouldn't have a dog. To me, health testing is too important to give up. I have other pets in my house that I'll be totally honest, are by far my first priority. As long as I have Champ, there's no way I could bring an adult male dog into my house. Puppy, sure, adult, no. It's not even an option. I want a male Boxer in the future, and you betcha he'll come from a breeder.
I will also say that almost EVERY breeder I spoke with about puppies that didn't have any, or had wait lists forever long actually recommended going to a rescue. Such terrible, cruel people.

But again, every new dog brought into the world is an immediate death sentence for a Shelter Dog.
wrong.
Some people won't give up health testing.
Some people won't give up puppyhood.
Some people won't want to deal with the damage previous owners might have done.
Some people can't risk the wellbeing of their children or other pets.

I will say that of COURSE I'm not against rescuing. Heck, just last month I was trying to rescue but it didn't work out. I volunteer my time and money to many rescues and shelters. I support rescue. I support shelters. But I do know that it's not the route for every single person, and I don't think that those people should be judged for it. Pet shops, puppy mills, and BYBs are another story. But in all reality, A LOT of people don't even understand that. The woman that I got my cocker spaniel from had gotten her from a pet store and was in TEARS when I told her the horrors of puppy mills and pet shops. She had NO idea becaused the pet store told her that they "don't use puppy mills, only USDA approved breeders" Now you and I both know that doesn't meak diddly squat, but for people not so immersed in the world of dogs, BYBs and pet shops have a way of making their business out to be not so bad.

/end rant

·
Registered
1,791 Posts
Linsey,

I'm not self righteous about this issue....and I took to heart many of your comments.

I'll give you this point...I suppose some just won't ever get a Dog from a Shelter so if they can't have some pure breed, they just won't get a Dog.
But surely you must admit that doesn't apply to ALL. And I'd say if there were fewere BREEDERS, some of those people you think would NEVER adopt from a shelter might change their tune. Hell, how do we know WHAT they'd do as it takes my one second in the newspaper to find 4,000 people turning out new litters. And for ALL these people you THINK would never go to a shelter....funny, in my experience, if you can talk with many of these people, explain to them how great a shelter Dog can be, you can turn them quickly to your way of thinking. I've done it twice in the last year and it wasn't even difficult. AND, these people were HEADED to Breeders before going to the local Humane Society.

So if we didn't have all of these Breeders, you believe the number of dogs euthanized every year wouldn't be impacted positively(decreased)? Seriously? Is this your stance? Anyone who believes that is pretty naive or biased towards pure bred Dogs. It's simple math. Less Dogs brought into the world would mean less Dogs euthanized.

I give you credit for your volunteering. However, were there fewer breeders out there churning out Dogs, possibly you wouldn't NEED to volunteer at shelters as much.

We won't agree on this issue. Period. I never once said you TREATED your Dogs cruel. I said the process of breeding new dogs while some shelter is gasing another lot is cruel. Big difference.

Just because you aren't RESPONSIBLE for the problem doesn't mean you can't positively impact the problem. One addl point, as I recall, I saw a stat once that said a large number of dogs IN shelters CAME from breeders!....now you've got your example of responsible breeders and thats fine and all...I'm not going to split hairs over some small portion of the trainwreck of a process that contributes to almost 4 million dogs being killed every year.

I know I could never bring more animals into the world knowing that about 3 or 4 million are euthanized every year. Self Righteous?...if that's what you call it, I'm ok with being SELF RIGHTEOUS. Again, we just won't agree on this issue. Ever.

You are right on one point....not EVERY bred dog means death to a shelter dog....but Linsey, even if it means only 1 out of 4 Dogs, that's ONE MILLION Dogs that would have been adopted.

1 - 20 of 61 Posts