Dog Food Chat banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
My oldest dog has battled health issues for a long time of constantly having infected ears, dry coat, and then out of nowhere, packed on about 30#s in over a short amount of time. Every time we went to the vet, we were giving new medication to try as well as new diagnosis. Went from simple allergy, to hypothyroidism, to supposed kidney issue, to now "he might just be one of those dogs that always has problems". Well no, it doesn't work that way. We have changed up dry food from the Science Diet he was on when we adopted him to going up to Blue Buffalo and Solid Gold and even trying grain free. Nothing worked.

Then we recently made switch to raw and things were going great the first 4 or 5 days. Our oldest with the health problems was starting to get more energy in such a short amount of time. However, now around day 6 things went south fast and I think I started my 2 on raw he wrong way. He has had the runs very bad today and will not eat a thing, even tuning his nose up to pure pumpkin puree and peanut butter. I was trying to find something to keep him from having the runs, but at least he is still drinking water so hopefully dehydration will not be an issue.

Now, since he has had really bad problems with chicken in the past, I didn't start him off with that and went straight to red meats. He has been enjoying blends of roast, ribs, eggs, heart, liver, pork quarters, and would eat all of it and push aside the duck neck I would also provide. I am getting a hard time getting his bone in so far since avoiding chicken and just recently found a butcher as of last night who can get me edible bones such as pork and duck. (Why is it that all the meat at grocery stores anymore is all boneless and if it does have bone, they have already seasoned it to death or diluted it in so much sodium?!)

Anyway, I guess I am just looking for advice on where to go from here with the one that is having the runs light brown now). Do I fast him for one more day? What steps should I take to ease him into the raw diet better? My other dog is adjusting well and I have also used today as a fast day for her to just give her body time to adjust but she is eagerly waiting for the turkey neck in the fridge for her.

If you read this far, thank you in advance and hoping someone can offer some solid advice.

·
Premium Member
4,271 Posts
Going straight to red meats is the problem. Chicken in raw form is comeplely different from the cooked in kibble. Chicken is the blandest easiest to digest protein, therefore it is generally used to start. Cut out the reds for now, and go with skinless, bone in chicken. Just start it all over and go from there.

·
Registered
778 Posts
i think, very often, any switch can screw with the dog's digestive system.
where are you getting the food from if i may ask? i dont know what kind of dog you have, but not all dogs can handle bones, in their regular form. even tho i have a lab, she doesnt really understand to chew the bone, in say a wing of a chicken. eli, my frenchie, came to me raw fed, as his breeder had a farm and you can guess the rest. however, tho my husband is a butcher, his shop doesnt have a grinder they would be willing to test , to grind the bones. yup, i use ground bones and a company called haretoday. look at their website and ive had nothing but good things to say. is it more expensive? yes, but they also use other stuff in their products (and they have a zillion) -like unbleached tripe, innards, .....all i know, is i am kibble phobic after the last diamond dog food thing, (yeah, i won but 3 labs got very sick, not salmonella but bad) and vangie, my lab would puke every 6 weeks, and like a tsunami. tests showed nada. finally made the switch and guess what?? knock on wood, and i mean she puked for 7 years and now we are about at 8 months. i do believe something, perhaps a preservative in kibble, causes the barfing.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts