Dog Food Chat banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know this should be in the general section but lots more people look at the food section and I am really afraid that it could be really bad. Buster was just outside acting kind of weird and a little slow and he pooped and the first one had just a little red on top of it then five minutes later he pooped again and it was completely red. It didnt look like blood because it was a brighter red than blood and really runny. I am pretty sure he hasnt gotten into anything because he has been with me non stop for the past couple days. How concerned should I be and what should i do?

·
Registered
4,655 Posts
What has he been eating lately? Eating any grass? Doing anything out of the ordinary?

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
...or anything with weird food coloring?

Blood in stool is fairly common, but this sounds weird.
Did you switch food recently?

I know I'm an alarmist, but I'd probably take him to the vet, with a sample of said poo.

Reactions: dogtrainer1507

·
Registered
5,009 Posts
What are you currently feeding? Any recent changes in diet?

If he's acting otherwise totally fine, I would wait it out. If there's any change in energy, appetite, etc. then i'd take a sample of the red poo and try to get into the vet.

·
Registered
4,419 Posts
Normally, bright red blood in the stool is indicative of bleeding in the digestive tract at or near the anus. Dark or black blood indicates bleeding in or near the stomach. Shades in between should tell you how far along the intestinal tract the bleeding is occuring.

Just after being fed liver or heart, both with lots of blood, dogs sometimes will produce black stools. This is blood coming from the food and is not internal to the dog.

Just a little of any shade of blood is usually nothing to be concerned over. If it lasts several days you might want to have a vet take a look. Usually its gone by the next day.

·
Registered
939 Posts
I've heard that treats with bright red dyes can cause this too. Now my guess is that you would have to have given quite a few of these aforementioned treats to make such a huge impact, but anythings possible.

If it continues though, I would definitely second, and third taking him to the vet.

·
Registered
3,550 Posts
What are you currently feeding him? Is it bright red on the outside or all the way through?

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Alright he is eating evo red meat and has been on it almost two months now. The only treats he eats are dehydrated cooked chicken. He hasnt gotten into anything as far as I know and he has been around me all the time so I would have seen him get into something probably. My other boxer (the puppy) got into a large container of some ky jelly like stuff yesterday and I was originaly worried about him but he has no probelms and is just fine. My well behaved adult boxer is the one who is sick now and I cant figure out how. I dont think it is blood because usually the stool is brown with blood on it this stool is completely red pretty much looks like ketchup except runnier

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yes it is still happening today. Earlier today it looked just fine but now he has gone a couple more times I retract my statement that it isnt blood. I am pretty sure that he is pooping just blood after he goes once. Ive never seen any dog have just blood in their stool before which is why i thought it was something else but i am now pretty sure it is blood. I will definately be taking him to the vet. Really not looking forward to this because it is going to be expensive.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I just realized that they found a nylabone two days ago and have been chewing on that non stop could that be what did it?

·
Registered
3,550 Posts
Nylabones are relatively safe but they can chew off large chunks of them if you aren't watching them and they could cause problems. Get your dog to a vet and try to bring a stool sample!

·
Registered
2,359 Posts
Good thing your going to the vet! Now let us know how things are please!

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
So Im back from the vet and all it is a bateria something going on so they gave me pills to give him and they said it should go away in a couple days. This is the second time its happened in three months and the vet didnt seem too concerned so who knows.

·
Registered
10,128 Posts
Sounds like colitis, an overgrowth of bacteria in the colon. Something is causing the normal flora of the gut to take over in times of stress (stress doesn't have to be huge, even minor stress will set off an outbreak). Or it could be related
to one of the ingredients in the food.

The pills work, but only mask the problem because it doesn't stop this from happening again in the future. I would try and figure out what triggers your dog to get this issue.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts