Dog Food Chat banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Everyone
After reasearching dry dog foods using this fabulous forum, I decided on Origen for my new 5 month old newfie pup. I put him on the 5 fish formula last week.

The breeder had him on a combination of raw diet and free feeding cheap dry food. She says she changes brands every bag to feed them a variety of foods so she just picks up whats cheap at the time. She lets the dogs graze on the kibble throughout the day so they don't become pigs.

My pup is definately on the skinny side (vet said he could put on 10 pounds or so) so I my first thought was free feeding the kibble. He ended up with loose stools. I researched some more and yesterday started limiting his food to about 3 cups a day (1.5 twice per day). He is now definately hungry in between meals now.

Am I on the right track? I think it will take a few days (weeks?) to settle his tummy down. Is this right? I think its too soon to change brands again but I need so advice or reassurance please.

·
Registered
441 Posts
Hi Everyone
After reasearching dry dog foods using this fabulous forum, I decided on Origen for my new 5 month old newfie pup. I put him on the 5 fish formula last week.

The breeder had him on a combination of raw diet and free feeding cheap dry food. She says she changes brands every bag to feed them a variety of foods so she just picks up whats cheap at the time. She lets the dogs graze on the kibble throughout the day so they don't become pigs.

My pup is definately on the skinny side (vet said he could put on 10 pounds or so) so I my first thought was free feeding the kibble. He ended up with loose stools. I researched some more and yesterday started limiting his food to about 3 cups a day (1.5 twice per day). He is now definately hungry in between meals now.

Am I on the right track? I think it will take a few days (weeks?) to settle his tummy down. Is this right? I think its too soon to change brands again but I need so advice or reassurance please.
You are on the right track! Continue feeding how you are feeding and he will learn to eat when he is fed. I know that sounds mean, but he is a puppy and he will eat till he is fat in the gut if you were to let him.
I have always fed my Neo Mastiff pit mix, that will be 1 on the 11th of August, ~2 cups of food when I get up, take him out and we come back in. And then ~2 cups when I get home from work, take him out and we come back in. I am also good about adding some raw ground meat in with his kibble so that he gets the best protien possible. I only feed that once a day though, because more then that and he gets fat! :)
Good luck and hang in there. Things will work out! :wink:

·
Registered
441 Posts
Oh, and keep an eye on his waist line!
If you start seeing him lose weight, up his protions (not the amount of times you feed, just the amount of food you feed each time). However, if he starts gaining too much weight and you notice that you don't see where his stomach curves in just behind the ribs, reduce the amount of food that you feed.

·
Banned
620 Posts
Hi Everyone

I think your breeder had a better plan. 50% raw 50% kibble is better than 100% kibble no matter how you slice it. I think you would be better off in the long run if you supplement with the raw (or even cooked). If your dog is not used to an omnivore diet like Orijen, all those biologically inappropriate ingredients are moved through the system quicker probably giving your dog the soft stools. They try at add enough potatoes (works like fiber) to slow it down but for some dogs it may not work as well.

The dog needs to eat until the nutritional needs are met and they get that through calories. I don't think cutting back is a good idea for a growing dogs needs, especially a big dog like a Newfie. I think upgrading the diet is a better approach than cutting back, and the only way to upgrade is going heavier with the animal source proteins. You can only do that with properly structured diets, or add your own meats and fats. Good luck.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Watch her stool... too much food will make it soft. I had that happen with Orijen and changed to ACANA. Unless dog is super active I would choose the ACANA.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts