Dog Food Chat banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi All!
I just want to introduce ourselves and the newest member of our family. We, myself, my wife and my 10yr old daughter(soon to be 11) have just adopted an Alaskan Malamute from a rescue organization here in Northern CA. Her name is Millie, she is about 5 to 6 yrs old, weighs in at about 65lbs and is just the must lovable dog we have ever owned! She is house trained and very docile. No jumping when guests come to the house, not food agressive( I found that out the scary way LOL), partially crate trained, we have to work on that part. If anything the only downfall she has is not liking other dogs, cats, critters. But that is not a downfall for us, I have a good reign on her and she knows who the pack leader is when we encounter those situations. Within the last few years she has been handed from owner to owner and was finally found wandering around on a BART train out here. Yes on the train itself! Animal control picked her up at the Daly City Station(hence her full name, Millie-Daly) for being a fare evader:biggrin: and contacted her owners who said they would be down to claim her but never did. Me and my wife could not for the life of us figure out why someone would not want this dog back!:confused: Since then she has been in kennel after kennel through the rescue facility, who did a great job of taking care of her!( No sarcasm here, I really mean they did their best!) And then we came along. We got her primarily for my daughter who has been wanting a dog, but I was against it. I have had many a dog when I was her age and after the fun of having an animal wore off, it became a chore. I explained this to her and told her it is a very big responsibility. She understood and accepted. I also told her I don't pick up poop! ( I don't really mind, especially with the industry I work in, its really not big deal) but she needed to know with an animal comes responsibility. Since its been a long while since we have owned an animal, I will be asking questions and advice, and I'm sure I can count on the years of experience from all of you on this forum to help. I will post a picture of our new addition in the pictures forum. Thanks in advance to all!:smile:
P.S. My screen name is the date we received her.

·
Registered
3,550 Posts
Aw that's great I'm glad Millie-Daly finally found a good home! Feel free to ask us anything you need help on! What kind of food did you get her started on?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Okay, I know this is not going to be the best answer, but the Kennel had her on Canadie. When we go home and couldn't find any at the time, I gave her a brand called Avoderm which I bought at the local pet store. After reading up on Canadie and seeing all the complaints, I was determined to switch, but also after seeing the what the sudden food change did to Millie( loss of appetite, loose stool) I decided to stick with Canadie. Now with all the complaints against Canadie on the websites I have been visiting, I've also seen that if your dog is doing well on it then why switch. So now I am in a quandry, I've been researching dog foods now for about a week and my head is spinning. Your thoughts please, Thanks.

·
Registered
3,550 Posts
Canidae did cause a lot of problems for a lot of dogs. However, their ingredients are still better than a lot of other foods out there. If your dog is doing well on it, I'd say stick with it (I also like the look of their new grain-free foods). However, I know several members on here hate Canidae for the problems it caused their dogs. If you'd rather be cautious and switch her food, check out our "best dog food brands" thread or start a thread and we can make more suggestions for you. You never want to switch a dog straight over to another brand of food, a gradual transition is always recommended (for kibble anyway).

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks Rannmiller, for now I will take your advice and stick with Canadie since she is doing well on it and still adjusting to her new home, surroundings and all the other things. With all that going on why add more stress to the mix. Thanks Again.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Hello & welcome to the forum. That's quite a big dog for a little girl. My son would love one but I've said definitely not. Not that I don't like them, it's just their reputation as being stubborn. And he's nearly 23. If you have any behavioural problems a good web site is Dog Star Daily with a lot of content by Dr Ian Dunbar, a veterinary behaviourist. He's had a couple of malamutes & loves them.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts