Dog Food Chat banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I stumbled across this forum while searching out new foods to feed my dogs since they started to have problems on Canidae All Life Stages food. Bear, my 9 year old German Shepher/Collie mix has lost some serious weight, and so has Sophie, my 6 year old Basset Hound.

I am looking forward to learning as much as I can about how to keep my babies healthy. They have been with my ex-boyfriend for the last 8 years, but they recently came to live with me. I am really concerned with what I am feeding them, but can't afford some of these really pricey foods, or foods that are only at specialty stores. I have ready access to PetCo and Petsmart, but I am having a hard time getting to a specialty store that is not really out of my way, or that has evening hours. I work until 5 and go to school part time at night so time is a real factor to me.

Anyway, I would appreciate any suggestions anyone has on what I should be feeding them.

Thank you!!

·
Registered
257 Posts
hello and welcome!

have you looked into wellness at petco or blue buffalo at petsmart? i personally feed a mix of blue buffalo wilderness and innova evo and i couldnt be happier with the results my dog gets from them. my parents use the wellness core cat food for their cats and they love it

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I started the transition to Wellness Core this morning. Petco is apparently carrying it right now, which I was thrilled about. I wanted to go grainless after the whole recall scare, which is why I started them on Canidae to begin with. Hopefully I will start to see the results soon. Both of my babies are so skinny right now, and with my house having all wood floors, they are cold a lot of the time, I think, with no fat to insulate them.

I will keep everyone posted on how they do on the Wellness Core. The only real concern I have is the higher protein level. They are not that active, being somewhat older dogs, and I have read in some places that the higher protein could cause problems later down the road.

Thanks for your suggestions and your words of welcome!!

·
Registered
42 Posts
Hi and welcome from Zoe, Melvin and I :smile: Your babies will probably do fine on Wellness Core. 34% is not extremely high in protein. What causes more health problems for dogs is, poor quality ingredients in low grade foods, not protein. Dogs digestive systems are designed to process protein and some carbohydrates from fruits and veggies. I hope your pups do great on this food.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts