Dog Food Chat banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I just discovered this forum today while doing more research on home-cooked dog diets. My friend and I started cooking for our dogs about six months ago, as he discovered that his dog has a gluten allergy. After further research, and the appalling discovery of what goes in to many commercial dog foods we both came to the conclusion that we were unwilling to ever go back to kibble. We are now working on starting an all natural home cooked dog food delivery service, which we hope to have up and running this fall. Reception in our town has been very positive thus far, and it seems that we will be able to make our food very affordable (and the dogs love it!).

Nice to meet all of you!

Sam

·
Registered
5,009 Posts
Hello, and welcome to the forums! I'd love to hear more about your recipes, and dogs! I wish we had a larger home cooking community here.... perhaps a section dedicated to home cookers (like we have for kibble and raw feeders) would help attract more.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi again, and thank you very much for the warm reception. As far as our dogs go, I have a Borgi (Border Collie/Pembroke Corgi mix), and my friend/business partner has a Lab/Shar-pei/Boxer mix; I also live with a purebred Border Collie, who presently eats our food as well. All of our dogs are healthier and happier than when they were on kibble (Avoderm across the board), and boast shinier coats than ever. They love the food as well.
Generally, the food is about 40% meat protein (I usually use beef liver, tongue, and hearts, ground beef if I cant get one of those), 30% starch (consisting of about half lentils, and a quarter each potatoes and brown rice), and 30% other fruits and vegetables (regular additions are carrots, apples, kale, seasonal squash, turnips, and parsley). I usually cook the meats with the kale and turnips, and boil the rice, lentils and potatoes seperately. I then combine them, and cool the mixture on a sheetpan. Once it's cooled, I shred the carrots, apples, parsley,and zuchinni and add them to the mix with some nonfat yogurt, and olive oil. I began gently putting the lentils through the food processor also, as we were finding undigested whole lentils in the stools, which have gone away since I started rough chopping them.
Hopefully that is some good input for people looking to do homecooked foods; I'm always looking for constructive input also. Sorry to take a few days to post back, busy with work =)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts