Dog Food Chat banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi all

i m new here, i recently adopted a schnauzer who is 2 years old and i m still learning to be a good dogowner. I m interested in learning about the experience of other dogowner regarding their dogfood.

currently i m feeding my dog Hill's science diet for adult dog, (small bite)..wonder what is the feedback on this dogfood from other members here....

thanks

bambi

·
Registered
4,419 Posts
currently i m feeding my dog Hill's science diet for adult dog, (small bite)..wonder what is the feedback on this dogfood from other members here....
Welcome to the forum. You are going to learn A LOT is the next few days. Hill's anything is among the worst of the worst dog foods. Ingredients are terrible and not fit for a dog to eat so to speak. I don't feed my dogs any dog food as I believe it's all a discrace. I'm sure other kibble feeders will chime in pretty quickly to share their knowledge with you and give you some good advice.

·
Registered
2,359 Posts
Hi and welcome to the forum! Agree with RFD on Hills!

ingredients is the key meat listed first and sould contain more than one meat source! I currently in my rotation have my dogs on grain free EVO~ feed less than the package recommends its a great food. But there are many great quality kibbles out there. I like Wellness core, Orijen, Fromm, Acana, Merrick there are many many out there. natura brands, champion brands, Natures variety. Just too name a few things! I know I am leaving some out but then there are other areas to discuss all this in!

Go to Dog Food Analysis - Reviews of kibble look up some of the better quality foods

Avoid~corn wheat soy by products artificial this artificial that!

I like high protein low carb foods!

·
Registered
4,655 Posts
Welcome Bambi, You'll learn alot here and don't feel bad, we all pretty much got lured into the same trap by dog food commercials, the fact is that the top rated dog foods don't advertise at all. I like most of the grain free kibbles out there, but not all dogs do great on them, If I were to feed a kibble it would be Acana but I don't so other kibble feeders will point you in the right direction, and congrats on adopting!

·
Registered
5,009 Posts
Welcome to the forum. The threads here are a wealth of information and I'm sure you'll learn a ton about canine nutrition with just a couple hours here!!

Hills is really good at one thing and one thing only: marketing. When it comes to quality and ingredients, it's far nearer to the bottom of the list than the top.

Many here will advocate grain free foods. I never had any luck with them. There's a good food in almost every price range, but feeding hills is pretty expensive considering the crummy food you get! You can get much better quality without spending any more than you are now.

If you have a costco membership, their Kirkland brand is so much better than anything in that price range. It's about $22 for 40lbs and I definately recommend it over Hills by a long shot.

Top of the line would be Orijen, Evo, Wilderness, Instinct, and CORE and they're all grain free, but pretty darn expensive.

The in between foods, that are still good quality, perhaps not grain free, but worlds better than Hills are:

Acana (some are grain free)
Taste of the Wild (grain free)
Canidae Grain Free
Canidae ALS
Innova
California Natural
Merrick B. G. (grain free)
Merrick
Solid Gold
Wellness
Blue Buffalo
Chicken Soup
Halo

There are other ways of feeding than your typical commercial dog food, I encourage all new dog owners to at least look into other methods, for the benefit of their pets. :wink:

·
Registered
3,085 Posts
Hi and welcome! :smile:

If you go to the Dry and Canned Food section and click on the thread titled "Top 5 Dog Kibbles" at the top you can see some of the top quality kibbles. It is a place to start.

·
Registered
10,780 Posts
hi and welcome...

add me to the list about hills.....

when i didn't know, i fed what i thought was a top notch kibble to my dogs; and, back in the day, it was one of the break through products for quote premium unquote dog foods.

it wasn't until recently that i realised they used a synthetic vitamin k3 which affects several organs, including the liver. whilst i will never know, i really do believe this food cut my dogs' lives short....three out of five is not a coincidence...and it's not that the three didn't live past 13..it's that they didn't live to 14 or 15 or even older...

this is not to say they would have lived to be older...but i now think and believe there is a direct correlation between this product and my dogs and their liver enzymes always being through the roof.

at any rate....read through the posts....and then decide for yourself whether you want to go with a quality kibble, cooked or raw.....and then research..which is key to finding the nutrition that your dog needs.

it only seems like a daunting project LOL

but there's lots of help here...so don't hesitate.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts