Dog Food Chat banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

Hi from Oregon . I've never posted before so we'll see how this goes :)
I have a 5 year old Golden and a 2 year old Berner. I switched them over from (i'm emabarassed to say) Eukanuba to Evo about 3 months ago. Evo is a great food and they love it, but both dogs have started taking turns having episodes of diarrhea. Has anyone else has had this issue last this long? I am not opposed to mixing foods I guess I just don't want to give up on Evo too soon.

·
Registered
2,309 Posts
I have a 5 year old Golden and a 2 year old Berner. I switched them over from (i'm emabarassed to say) Eukanuba to Evo about 3 months ago. Evo is a great food and they love it, but both dogs have started taking turns having episodes of diarrhea. Has anyone else has had this issue last this long? I am not opposed to mixing foods I guess I just don't want to give up on Evo too soon.
Hello and welcome! Evo is a great food, but it may just be too rich for your pups. When Aspen was on Evo, I never had any problems with him.

BTW, your Berner is gorgeous!!

·
Banned
493 Posts
Hello and welcome! Evo is a great food, but it may just be too rich for your pups. When Aspen was on Evo, I never had any problems with him.

BTW, your Berner is gorgeous!!
Exactly, EVO may be too rich for your dog to handle.

Have you considered feeding your dogs a raw diet? Raw diets tend to digest very quickly, reducing the amount of time stool collects in the intestine, therefore creating more solid, formed stool. The bone is also great for creating more solid stool. If you're willing to give raw a shot, I encourage you to search the archives here on the forum. You will learn A LOT! I sure did, and am still learning! Here are also some good, informative websites regarding raw feeding;

Jane Anderson's Raw Learning Site

Raw Fed Dogs

Skylar, Zack, and Abby on the WEB

If for whatever reason raw is not an option for you, the next best thing would be a home cooked diet, consisting of some fresh cooked meat, brown rice, and maybe some vegetables, although dogs don't have the ability to extract many nutrients from vegetables. (Another thing I learned from joining this forum) Dog's don't digest grains like rice very well either, so this may not be nearly as effective as a raw diet, however it is probably better than any kibble.

If you decide not to go with a raw diet for whatever reason, a good kibble to try might be California Natural's chicken and rice or lamb and rice formulas, which are made with fewer ingredients especially made for those with intestinal sensitivities and allergies.

In the past, i have recommended supplementing dog's diets with things like canned pumpkin and yogurt for loose stools, but through this forum, I have come to learn that those methods may cover up the problem, but aren't solving the problem by any means. Solving the problem lies in the dog's primary diet. Methods like adding pumpkin or yogurt may be helpful if your dog is suffering a short term bout of diarrhea from getting into something, but won't do much good in the long run.

Good Luck!:smile:

Reactions: 4thedogs

·
Registered
3,550 Posts
Yeah we have several members who found that Evo was just a little too rich for their dogs' tummies. Welcome to the forum!

·
Registered
5,009 Posts
Welcome to the forum, I absolutely LOVE Berners... I will have one... someday....

EVO is incredibly rich, and while it is a good food, it never sat well with my dogs whatsoever.

I had one dog, my little Corgi, that had a seven month bout of diarrhea. The answer for us was an all raw diet consisting of meat, bone, and organs from various animals.

I hope you enjoy the forum and find the right answers for your fur family!

·
Registered
10,128 Posts
Welcome!

Did you try cutting back on how much you were feeding? Even if only a slight bit too much, EVO can upset tummies. I have found that just backing down the amount you feed per day to help with diarrhea. Remember that it has a lot more calories and is super rich compared to what they were on before. Also, are your dogs on a feeding schedule? Dogs that are fed kibble diets generally do better on rich foods if only fed twice a day or even once a day....

·
Registered
2,359 Posts
HI and welcome to the forum!

I have 4 dogs 2 labs a beagle and an ori~pei (mixed 1/2 shar pei 1/2 pug) they have been on Evo also! The labs for me did fine with the richness which is a good thing! so did the ori pei. My beagle is not good with it though!
Take you time with it see how they are doing on it! Some dogs can handle it others cant! Only you know how they are doing let us know!:smile:

Reactions: 4thedogs

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
I'm not a nutritionist or a vet, but the fact that both dogs were on EVO & only now started having GI problems indicates to me that there is some sort of bug they may be passing back & forth to each other.

So I suggest thoroughly cleaning up their dishes & whatever they usually come in contact with an anti-bacterial soap. Then give them home-cooked rice & chicken for a few days until their stools firm up. At that point I would gradually re-introduce the EVO until they are at their pre-problem feeding allotments.

I have also found yogurt to be good at settling down an upset GI system.

JMHO,

L

·
0 Posts
Welcome to the Forum! My 2 dogs never did well on Evo. They do really well on Acana grain free and Horizon Legacy grain free, though.

Beautiful pooches you've got there!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Welcome to the forum, I absolutely LOVE Berners... I will have one... someday....

EVO is incredibly rich, and while it is a good food, it never sat well with my dogs whatsoever.

I had one dog, my little Corgi, that had a seven month bout of diarrhea. The answer for us was an all raw diet consisting of meat, bone, and organs from various animals.

I hope you enjoy the forum and find the right answers for your fur family!
Thank you. Kinda funny, I actually also wanted a Corgi, I even borrowed a friends for a few days to convince my family but my "other half" was set on a Berner. They are both GREAT breeds. I would say if you ever have a chance to have a Berner...do it!! He is the most affectionate, funny, happy dog I have ever met. My Golden is an amazing girl but the Berner personality is just priceless. I know we all feel that way about our breeds.
Okay, back to the food...I wanted to give them the best possible kibble now I feel pretty bad for doing this to both of them. They are both wonderful dogs that are doing their best to keep their legs crossed when the diarrhea strikes bless their little hearts. We're now mixing the Evo with Innova to see if this helps. So far so good but it's just been a few days.
I hate to admit this but until I start shopping & cooking for my family on a regular basis my dogs are stuck with kibble :)

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I'm not a nutritionist or a vet, but the fact that both dogs were on EVO & only now started having GI problems indicates to me that there is some sort of bug they may be passing back & forth to each other.

So I suggest thoroughly cleaning up their dishes & whatever they usually come in contact with an anti-bacterial soap. Then give them home-cooked rice & chicken for a few days until their stools firm up. At that point I would gradually re-introduce the EVO until they are at their pre-problem feeding allotments.

I have also found yogurt to be good at settling down an upset GI system.

JMHO,
Great suggestions, thank you. We thought it may be a bug as well but even after scrubbing, disinfecting, fecals and a preventive de-worming (they did get to some deer droppings over Thanksgiving) the diarrhea still struck randomly. We're mixing Innova & Evo now so we'll see how this goes. So far so good thank goodness.
Thanks again

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Welcome!

Did you try cutting back on how much you were feeding? Even if only a slight bit too much, EVO can upset tummies. I have found that just backing down the amount you feed per day to help with diarrhea. Remember that it has a lot more calories and is super rich compared to what they were on before. Also, are your dogs on a feeding schedule? Dogs that are fed kibble diets generally do better on rich foods if only fed twice a day or even once a day....
Thanks. Yes, (i never admitted this to the golden) we did cut back knowing that the Evo was higher in calories and protein. They are on a feeding schedule of twice daily, I didn't think to try once daily so maybe if mixing the Evo w/ Innova doesn't fix this we'll try that. They will HATE that more than the diarrhea :) The golden has always "lied" about being hungry as it is. With out fail every evening when I get home she looks at me, looks at the kong, looks at the food bin and then back at me as if to say "dad forgot dinner." By the looks of your you tube video of the first fish you probably know exactly what living with a munch mouth is like. Great for training though :)
Thanks for the ideas. BTW your dogs are all beautiful.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts